Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
CptSternn

Children left mother's body to rot

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=8744223&nav=4QcS

MIDDLEFIELD, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut man who left his mother's corpse to rot in her home for more than seven years told police he didn't report her death because he was in trouble with the law in both New Hampshire and his home state.

In a 100-page state police case file, authorities say John Simmeck and his sister Diane Simmeck made biannual trips to their mother's ramshackle house in Middlefield, Connecticut, stepping over her mummified remains on the floor.

Police believe Ann Simmeck was 72 when she died of natural causes late 1999 or early 2000. They discovered her body in June 2007 after an estranged son, Michael Simmeck, had grown worried about his mother's well-being.

John Simmick is facing an identity theft charge in connection with his alleged use of his father's identity in 2003 to set up a cell phone account.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
CandyKorns

That's terrible.
CandyKorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Pantherlette086

Oh shit! How could you keep a secret like that for so long? That's sick.
Pantherlette086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
TurquoiseXx

Holy crap. If hell exists, those two guys are going straight down. I wonder what possessed them to become so cold and greedy to their own parents. It's just horrible.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Sir Canvas Corpsey

People, it's just a corpse, in the natural world, thing are either eaten or left to rot. I personally have no problems with this.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
MitsyMayhem

Me neither. It's not like they killed her, just left it in the kitchen.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

I've noticed that people are terribly judgmental in the Spooky News section.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Sir Canvas Corpsey

It's basically the same people/same sorts of people who are doing the judging
Old 08-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Solumina

It isn't the fact that they let the body sit there that really bugs me (although it is a little unusual and they really should have reported the death to someone), but the fact that they made repeated trips to the house does, honestly what were they going there for? I'm not going to say that they deserve to rot in hell or anything like that, I just think that there is something not quite right about anyone who would do something like that.

Also I think that it is really sad that for seven years nobody noticed that she was gone
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
NightmareInShiningArmour

Perhaps she didn't leave the house often when she was alive?
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:01 AM   #11
DementiaNocturne

I don't see how this is immoral. What are authorities going to do? Certainly won't bring her back. -_-''
DementiaNocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
Tam Li Hua

I'm with Solumina on this one; it's not so much that they just left her there, but rather that they didn't think twice about just stepping over her.

Did they mourn her loss at all? It didn't seem so, and I have to wonder why it took the other son 7 years to call and find out what happened to mom. :/
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
Geoluhread

It seems that they don't respect their mother enough to at least bury her... That's what's awful... If you don't respect the woman who went through hell just to bring you to life ... Who are you gonna respect...
It's just sad...
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #14
Tam Li Hua

I sense that there's more to the story. I can see this happening if the woman was terribly abusive or something; people are capable of unlimited amounts of bitterness..
Old 08-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
metum_capere

wow, why are people putting emotions with the actions of a criminal they don't know? how do we know that he felt nothing as he stepped over her body?
metum_capere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Sir_Vex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I'm with Solumina on this one; it's not so much that they just left her there, but rather that they didn't think twice about just stepping over her.

Did they mourn her loss at all? It didn't seem so, and I have to wonder why it took the other son 7 years to call and find out what happened to mom. :/
I can understand estranged relatives very well, and the point of being estranged is for whatever reason her son did not want to talk to her or see her. I'm more curious as to how no one else knew she disappeared in seven years, and I find that terribly disappointing that no one cared to find out what happened to her. This also makes me wonder what sort of person she was if no one cared to find out what happened to her and her one son was estranged for at least seven years.
Sir_Vex is offline   Reply With Quote