Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #126
Saya

I don't wave, I nod and say thank you. I know they can't hear me, but I can't help it :X
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #127
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I tend to wave, nod, mouth thankyou and occasionally the nod turns into a mini-bow xD
Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #128
Fruitbat

Nod, wave, big cheery grin, say thanks, to car drivers who stop to let me cross the road or let me in in traffic.

I also wave in the rear view mirror at trucks that pull over on the verge to let you pass.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #129
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
Versus - i agree about calling people out, but anger is not the way to do it.
I pointed that out earlier, but I think he's just posting his own iteration of "caveman law/man law" for yuks. And I've mostly been misplacing my sense of humor a lot lately, so something pretty much has to be fresh, in-your-face funny to pluck my funny bone.

But I always say never argue the success of something lots of people are responding to, or at least I would say that a lot if I was wise enough to recognize it when it's happening.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 PM   #130
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
I pointed that out earlier, but I think he's just posting his own iteration of "caveman law/man law" for yuks. And I've mostly been misplacing my sense of humor a lot lately, so something pretty much has to be fresh, in-your-face funny to pluck my funny bone.
Actually, I said it seriously. I will elaborate.

If someone is being disrespectful, they need to be confronted about it. The level of tact that you employ to do so is important, however.

If a guy cuts me in line, for example, I will tell him. Yeah, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and won't be a jerk about it, but if he tells me to fuck off, I will raise my voice and let everyone around me know exactly what is going on. If he wants to argue it, he's going to look dumb in public. I think that's appropriate for the context of the situation. Of course I wouldn't react at all like that to a girlfriend or family member, but this isn't really meant for that setting so I'm not really worried about explaining that far.

Basically, standing up for yourself and other people is classy, but looking for a fight is obnoxious. There is a distinct different between the two, so please don't misunderstand when I say "Call them out."

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but being polite only goes so far, and it goes strait out the window when violence of action (read: shock of the situation) is necessary.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 AM   #131
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
Versus, what's the delegation of dude's view on women who expect, demand and create drama about a guy paying for everything? I'm not talking about paying for a first date and such like, I'm talking about women who demand that literally everything (dates, clothes, shoes, make up etc etc) they want is paid for by their bf.
I don't think guys should pay for women's anything. All dates should be dutch (each pay their share) or else the girl pays for the meal this time, and the guy the next time (to equal or whatever value they decide).

If a guy wants to buy a girl a bracelet, then he should buy it, likewise if a girl wants to buy a guy a necklace or something, then she should buy it.

But then being independent can cause it's own problems in relationships, when you meet a guy that wants to buy you things and you don't want them to spend their money on you.

Ben - I'm always late, never argue (because I fail miserably) and Versus knows I don't have a sense of humour, or any cents at all..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #132
ape descendant

I always figured that the person doing the inviting should pay unless it is agreed upon that all pay their own way. That's how we always did it my circle of friends, anyway.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #133
Saya

For me its always dutch. I don't think I ever seen anyone pay for each other's meals unless it was a birthday.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #134
ape descendant

Hmm, that's an interesting difference.... I think the purpose of the inviter paying for their invitees is to do something nice for their close friend/girlfriend/family member and make sure they can go even if they can't spare the cash for it at the time its a nice, subtle way of showing some one that you value their company.

The benefits of going dutch as a general rule are pretty obvious... though I see it as more appropriate in dealing with some one who is just a coworker, classmate or acquaintance.

Be Kind
Old 03-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #135
Murder.Of.Crows

I wish all dates would be the "going dutch" style, but i would never expect it. I naturally expect that I would pay for everything, not her shopping expenses, but the date, meal, or other expenses that may come up. If she wants to pay for things herself, I think she is a fucking keeper, if not, then I wouldn't mind. I would just take care of everything.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #136
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
For me its always dutch. I don't think I ever seen anyone pay for each other's meals unless it was a birthday.
There are times when its expected to buy someone a drink/meal/shout them their meal.

If you are taking them out for a celebration, or going out in a group to celebrate something then you put money in.

If it's drinks, you buy them a drink, if it's a meal, you either cover their meal or you put in with others to cover their costs.

With two of my girlfriends, we shout each other meals, depending on who is more affluent at the time. I don't keep track of who owes who lunch, we just do it. When there is no cash in the kitty, we pack a lunch and share.

MOC - I never expect a guy to buy me anything that I wouldn't be willing to buy him in return.

AD I have used your method of if you invite someone out you pay for their meals, but I do so much inviting, I'd be broke!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #137
CuckooTuli

I just have people round mine a couple of times a week to get stoned, watch cartoons and draw shit, and make a big vat of pasta or chilli. Sometimes I hump one of them afterwards. It's comfortable.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #138
Saya

One of my profs say that in China, you have to fight over the bill. Paying for it all is considered a wonderful thing, so NOT fighting over the bill makes you look bad. She said she lived there for years and was never able to pay for her own meals, her friends were that aggressive about it and had their own strategies for grabbing the bill and everything. So one day she hears a new restaurant is opening up, she goes to them, pays for a meal days in advance, and then invites her friends out. When the bill doesn't come out and she reveals she paid for it days ago, they were furious and told her to never do that again XD

I'm nervous about that, if I get to go. If we had that here I'm not aggressive enough to win, and then I'd feel like an utter mooch all the time.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #139
ssj_goku

O.O

So If I take a chinese girl out she will ficht me 4 the right 2 pay the bill?

Cool
Old 03-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #140
Saya

She'll lay some kung fu on your ass for the right.

In Japan, as far as I know, if the eldest insists on paying, its rude to refuse.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #141
ssj_goku

Sweet, I wouldn't ffight her because it's wrong 2 hit girls.

But that maeks sense, one tim my Dad came came home and he wanted 2 pay for dinner @ Ponderosa & my brother wanted 2 pay and they GOT PISSED and my brother left.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #142
Murder.Of.Crows

In Russia, date pays for you. lol, nothing like using dead jokes.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #143
ssj_goku

? ? ?

What r u talking about? No one is dead in ur joke...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #144
ape descendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I just have people round mine a couple of times a week to get stoned, watch cartoons and draw shit, and make a big vat of pasta or chilli. Sometimes I hump one of them afterwards. It's comfortable.
Pasta AND humping? You sure run a fancy joint!

Be Kind
Old 03-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #145
Versus

Generally, I'd split the tab. I don't mind buying someone lunch or something if I can afford it, though. It's just money. Also, I'll pay if I invite a girl on a date just because I think it's fair in exchange for giving me a chance.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #146
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Generally, I'd split the tab. I don't mind buying someone lunch or something if I can afford it, though. It's just money. Also, I'll pay if I invite a girl on a date just because I think it's fair in exchange for giving me a chance.
See that's all wrong. Why should guys have to pay for a date because its fair exchange for giving you a chance?

Aren't you doing exactly the same thing with the girl? Giving her a chance?

Or are you hoping the girl will put out for you, because she feels guilty about you buying her dinner (or whatever?).

Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #147
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Actually, I said it seriously. I will elaborate.

[lots of other stuff]

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but being polite only goes so far, and it goes strait out the window when violence of action (read: shock of the situation) is necessary.
It wasn't the phrase "call them out" that I had a problem with.

Did you intentionally misconstrue what I said about anger. Or are you actually advocating for road rage, domestic violence and fist/knife/gun fights in the streets? Because you used the word tact. Varying your level of tact =/= anger.

Look, I confront people when I think they're out of order, and will even do so with some emotional emphasis for the sake of reception if necessary. But anger never has anything to do with it.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #148
Ben Lahnger

I used to be all concerned with being chivalrous in all the old-fashioned ways.

I still believe in being courteous and respectful, but after living and learning a bit, I wouldn't mind hooking up with a sugar-mama at all.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #149
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
See that's all wrong. Why should guys have to pay for a date because its fair exchange for giving you a chance?

Aren't you doing exactly the same thing with the girl? Giving her a chance?

Or are you hoping the girl will put out for you, because she feels guilty about you buying her dinner (or whatever?).
I don't feel obligated to pay for all of it, I just think it's a kind gesture in exchange for giving me some her time. This is under the assumption that I asked her out.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #150
MissCheyenne

Would the members of the delegation of dudes prefer to see women in tight fitting, thigh skimming, cleveage about to burst style clothes, even if it looks wrong and all kinds of hideous OR clothes that flatter and subtly enhance a womans figure? What is the view on this? To skank or not to skank, that is the question.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote