Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
crucifix

how subcultures can get along

I was thinking the other day how all of my roommates are essentially part of different subculters. I am goth, the one is emo, the other is grunge, and the other is quite hippie-esque. And we all get along great. I know people where I used to work used to say that I must of hated emos, but I really don't. Sometimes me and the grunge roomie like to hang out somewhere and joke that the goth boy and grunge girl are out to scare the children.

Anyhoo, seriously, how do you all feel about different subcultures? Do you immeadiently shy away from them, or do they not bother that much? Either one is fine, you have the right to feel how you want. I was just curious.

Oh, and the grunge girl loves going to the cemetery too, lol. Now that is a little weird
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Wednesday Friday Addams

Its another human who likes different music who the fuck cares?
Don't concern yourself with being part of a subculture just do things you want to do because you like it.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
Its another human who likes different music who the fuck cares?
Don't concern yourself with being part of a subculture just do things you want to do because you like it.
I know that, moron, but there are some people who are like "fuckin emos" or "fuckin punks." You know what I mean? I am talking about how some people look at people who are different than them and completely close them out because they aren't the same and "they couldn't possibly get along."
Old 04-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucifix
I know that, moron, but there are some people who are like "fuckin emos" or "fuckin punks." You know what I mean? I am talking about how some people look at people who are different than them and completely close them out because they aren't the same and "they couldn't possibly get along."
Those people are just xenophobic.
This thread is both new and exciting.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
crucifix

Quote:
This thread is both new and exciting.
Exactly! Some people just seem scared of other people for something as simple as their style/music style. Or they are not scared but just complete assholes.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Breathless Horror

I personally don't give two shits about what kind of music or style of dress someone likes. While it would help establish a connection if you like similar things, it's not required for a good friendship. I personally really love punks. From my experiance, I've learned that they throw great parties and know how to have a good time in general.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
KontanKarite

I'm dating a punk.

I'm fairly indifferent about other subcultures save for punk. It's become a second favorite.

Emo, be it the correct one or the poseur scene kid one has yet to grow on me and it doesn't jive well with me in the least. Thing is, I don't have to like it. But I'm not vindictive or outwardly an asshole about it. I simply tell them that I think their music is totally lame.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

Kontan, you are a lucky man. I'm jealous! I hope to find a punk girl one day. *sigh* One day.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
prophecyofdoom

I'm always surprised there isn't more friendliness among different subcultures, we all have certain things in common since we all choose not to live as "normal". I do believe my least-favorite subculture is hip hop but some of the nicest people I know are into it. I keep an open mind and actually listen when they want to play something for me and sometimes I even like what I hear. My cousins are into gangsta rap and when we get together I sometimes wonder what people think when they see us walking around together. The answer to that is probably, frequently, "Look at that human TRASH". So you'd think we'd know better than to look down upon or dismiss someone for belonging to a certain subculture.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
KontanKarite

I don't think it's so much a matter of hate Prophecy as it's more or less a matter of dislike.

Essentially, like I said before. I don't think anyone really HAS to like other subcultures. We just shouldn't be vindictive assholes to each other.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
ForgetThisLostLenore

The great majority of my friends are not goth, punk, alternative anything. I really don't mind other subcultures, and I believe some of their music is crap, but I'm not going to hate them because of that. If I'm going to dislike somebody, it's going to be for a hell of a lot better reason than the music they listen to, or the clothes they wear.
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
CountSixstring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetThisLostLenore
The great majority of my friends are not goth, punk, alternative anything. I really don't mind other subcultures, and I believe some of their music is crap, but I'm not going to hate them because of that. If I'm going to dislike somebody, it's going to be for a hell of a lot better reason than the music they listen to, or the clothes they wear.
There you go. I'm the only goth that hangs around the crowd that I do. Most of the goths I encounter around here are the vindictive assholes that KontanKarite was talking about. They make what little of a scene we have here worthless.
CountSixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
KontanKarite

That's not exactly what I was implying, but sure.

Do not forget, there are subcultures out there that are quite accessible and acceptable in most of society. Cowboys... for example.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
prophecyofdoom

Huh. I never thought of cowboys as a subculture :P

It'd be nice if we could at least not be assholes to each other, but it always seemed to me that more than that, we ought to feel a certian kinship as fellow outsiders. Different subcultures can have much common ground life-expierence-wise. Even if we don't like each others music and prefer to be closest friends with others from the same subculture.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 PM   #15
KontanKarite

I'm sure it's possible. But to be honest, I don't like the people who epitomize all the steriotypes of the subcultures.

This goes for whiny emos, meathead punks, super pissed metalheads, and dark and mysterious goths. Honestly, they're all lame.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #16
Smile

Friendship and the successful co-existence run far deeper than subcultures.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #17
DeathToLems

Ok Ok Ok lets get one thing into our minds here.
Chavs (sorry but think about this for a sec)
Pro of doom you say that we should be more..how do you say this? open minded(?) about outsiders? Why should we (goths,punks,etc etc) have to be the ones to go out of our way to accept them?
Dont you think they should be the ones who should get some fucking brains and realise that we are all human, the same, under the clothes we wear.
You know what I fucking hate chav's the moment I see them till the moment they've walked past me and havent said some snide remark about me being "goth" or what ever. And that hate is bassed totaly on steriotyping every hoodie/chav I see. I will think difrent about them when they stop rapeing the English language with there fucked up slang and chav speak. And also hanging around corner shops frightening innocent people trying to walk past.

So yea. Chavs oh and the hip hop listeners who want everyone to hear the crap they have on their phones while on the bus or walking down the road thinking we actually apriciate this vileness.
That is the "subculture" I hate.
Every one else I'm not too botherd about. These are the ones whos don't start trouble and are generally nice ppl.

Oh and pro of doom my cuz looks like a chav and listens to that hip hop stuff too. When we walk down the road together I bet people are thinking the same as wat they think about you and your cuz. But I hope that with other chavs seeing this they will realize that...whats the word im looking for? Not "the same" but close.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #18
Mir

Get along with other subcultures? HA HA HA! Goths can't even get along amongst themselves. Fucking idiots.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
DeathToLems

Oh and also, I'll get along with anyone no matter what they dress like, listen to etc etc. It's all down to the persons personality in the end.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I'm dating a punk.

I'm fairly indifferent about other subcultures save for punk. It's become a second favorite.
I've mixed feelings about Punk. I love the music. No-holds-barred adoration. It's raw, virile and unadorned, and the characterization of true expression.

But Punk has seen so many assholes that the subculture is dragged down as a result. In its purest form, without all of the Neo-Nazism gimmicks and shit, Punk rules.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
Magila

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I'm sure it's possible. But to be honest, I don't like the people who epitomize all the steriotypes of the subcultures.

This goes for whiny emos, meathead punks, super pissed metalheads, and dark and mysterious goths. Honestly, they're all lame.
Quoted for K0re truth.
Magila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
prophecyofdoom

I was just trying to say that as any member of any subculture, you'd think you'd know how it feels to be prejudged, dismissed, treated badly, etc etc, by the population at large and therefore not behave like that towards anyone ourselves.

Yes, I think we should all keep open minds and not be so damn judgemental. Lots of people, regardless of if they are average or part of a subculture, exhibit repulsive behavior. The right thing to do is treat everyone with the same respect anyway. Even if you think they are lame.

Gardeners of the spirit
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #23
Stormtrooper of Death

JCC, punk does not have Neo-Nazis. That's skinheads. Sure there are probably a few Neo-Nazis, but the majority of punks (myself included) are anti-Nazi/anti-Facist. You are correct about assholes, but no Neo-Nazis.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
OH dear; we got into such an argument because of that word once.
In any case, I really don't care about subcultures. One is either part of a problem or part of a solution.
Actually, I do care a little about subcultures in this sense:
I fucking hate people that consider themselves 'alternatives' when they're just as apathetic, compliant, egotistical, materialistic, lazy, and consumerist as the next person.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #25
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
OH dear; we got into such an argument because of that word once.
In any case, I really don't care about subcultures. One is either part of a problem or part of a solution.
Actually, I do care a little about subcultures in this sense:
I fucking hate people that consider themselves 'alternatives' when they're just as apathetic, compliant, egotistical, materialistic, lazy, and consumerist as the next person.
QFT
And I realize that isn't really the right word.. All I was thinking was to shut the thread down =/