Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #2376
coffeeblack

A collection of 58 favorite horror stories of Alfred Hitchcock entitled "Tales of Terror". Thick, hardcover.
coffeeblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #2377
creature6

http://www.archive.org/stream/letter...61mbp_djvu.txt.

"THE LETTERS OF MOZART & HIS FAMILY VOLUME I"
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2378
SweetJane

The Doors of Perception
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #2379
Saya

The Brothers Karamazov.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #2380
abiMrsRock

beloved-by toni morrison
abiMrsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #2381
nowitsdark0

Kink by Kathe Koja
nowitsdark0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #2382
Apathy's_Child

Doctor Sax by Kerouac. It's actually pretty good - I'm really not crazy about him generally, but my girlfriend was reading it so I've made it my official bathroom reading, and I think I'm kind of into it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #2383
DRM

"Why I'm not a Christian"
Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #2384
Saya

Almost done The Brothers Karamazov, but today I picked up Darkly Dreaming Dexter and an issue of Bust magazine, since Isa Chandra Moskowitz has a new column in it, and has a good looking vegan candy corn recipe in it. Also an interview with Tommy Wiseau. Its a pretty good magazine on the whole.

And Alia Shawkat was in it too and talked a bit about the Arrested Development movie, yay!
Old 10-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #2385
Despanan

Talking

The Gothic.net forums.

EEEELLLLL
OOOHHHH
EEELLLLLL!!!11oneI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #2386
NightNGaleX3x

"The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde
and
"Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet" by Sidney D. Kirkpatrick
NightNGaleX3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #2387
ForestMist

Fyodor Mikhailovich Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
ForestMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #2388
JCC

Just read 'Candide'.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #2389
DRM

"Dead Zone"
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #2390
Tiphareth

PANDAEMONIUM by Christopher Brookmyre...kind of Tom Sharpe meets Mary Shelley
Tiphareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #2391
SweetJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Doctor Sax by Kerouac. It's actually pretty good - I'm really not crazy about him generally, but my girlfriend was reading it so I've made it my official bathroom reading, and I think I'm kind of into it.
I'm reading Satori in Paris.

Next week is either Kerouac's birthday or death anniversary. I can't remember which.
SweetJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #2392
Apathy's_Child

I think it's death, but I'm not sure either.

To be honest, I've learned in recent years that (as is the case with many authors) his life is so much more interesting than his work, and the work BECOMES more interesting as a result. (I didn't really like On the Road that much, and some of his poetry is frankly ridiculous, but I wonder sometimes if I would now knowing more about the guy.) A good biography makes you realise that the dude was so obscenely fucked up and riddled with self-loathing neuroses, his choices were basically narrowed down to becoming a serial killer or spawning the most influential American subculture of the century. I think that's why Big Sur was the only novel of his I ever really thought was anything special - although I didn't realise it at the time, it was the most brutally honest piece of work I've ever read by him. Most of his work is so suffused with a desperate determination to wring some beauty out of the world, it just comes across a little hollow. (Though probably more understandable in the original OtR where the stricken drug references have finally been published.)

However Doctor Sax was satisfying, and I liked it. Next up is Cities of the Red Night by William Burroughs.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #2393
SweetJane

I find that most poets usually have a few poems that they think are brilliant, but make the rest of the world go... "Ok... I haven't done THAT, so I'm going to take your word for it, but that doesn't mean I have to like your piece. How fucked up were you when you wrote that?"

I'm really enjoying Satori, and it makes me look forward to my semester in Europe this January. It's sort of a story about tracing his roots in France, and I'll be going to Hungary to meet my cousins during the break from school in Austria, so I hope my experience in Europe will be comperably as interesting (and involve as much sex with beautiful women) as the experience Kerouac had.

I've also been trying to read more American authors before the trip, because we do have interesting literature, and I'd like to be able to explain some of the American nuance the way my friend from Dublin can go on and on about the cultural relevence of Oscar Wild or James Joyce, or Sanja talks about Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #2394
Pineapple_Juice

Reading It again. I abhor clowns and fear them with an ungodly terror.

The situation's always the same. I pick up the book, start reading, and when I get to Georgie Denborough with his arm getting ripped off by the clown standing in the sewage drain I freak. End up spending a week with the lights on and end up looking over my shoulder.

Then when I feel better I pick it back up and read until about the time where Ben Hanscom sees the clown in the field with the mummy's face and the balloons that fly the wrong way in the wind I freak out again, and...repeat.

Don't know why I read this trash.

Come to think of it-why haven't I ever posted this in the scary book thread?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #2395
carakitty

I am currently plodding through A Echo In The Bone. Not as good of the rest of the series. At least this one doesn't have to be returned to the library.
carakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #2396
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Reading It again. I abhor clowns and fear them with an ungodly terror.

The situation's always the same. I pick up the book, start reading, and when I get to Georgie Denborough with his arm getting ripped off by the clown standing in the sewage drain I freak. End up spending a week with the lights on and end up looking over my shoulder.

Then when I feel better I pick it back up and read until about the time where Ben Hanscom sees the clown in the field with the mummy's face and the balloons that fly the wrong way in the wind I freak out again, and...repeat.

Don't know why I read this trash.

Come to think of it-why haven't I ever posted this in the scary book thread?
I used to find IT scary until I watched the movie. I couldn't finish it because I'd just picture the movie after that and laugh.

I'm reading Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights by Bob Torres. Its about how the left, particularly anarchists and marxists should be concerned about animal rights.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #2397
Ophelia's Snorkel

I am reading *shudder* Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, at a friend's request. It is utter drivel, and I hate it. I am only finishing it because then I can say, "Yes, yes, I did read it all. No, it did not get better. I gave it all the chance a person possibly could, but the man is an idiot and a hack. A wealthy, published hack. God damn it all, why does the public eat up this tripe?"

Actually, I will probably buckle and simply say that commercial fiction is not usually what I read, so this was, er, an experience. Then I will hang my head in shame.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #2398
Saya

YOU WILL HATE THE ENDING.

It was a shitty book but the ending was just a kick in the nuts while you're down.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #2399
Tiphareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia's Snorkel View Post
I am reading *shudder* Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, at a friend's request. It is utter drivel, and I hate it. I am only finishing it because then I can say, "Yes, yes, I did read it all. No, it did not get better. I gave it all the chance a person possibly could, but the man is an idiot and a hack. A wealthy, published hack. God damn it all, why does the public eat up this tripe?"

Actually, I will probably buckle and simply say that commercial fiction is not usually what I read, so this was, er, an experience. Then I will hang my head in shame.
I refuse to read that damned man out of principle.
All that furore over the Da Vinci Code, regurgitating an idea that had actually been floating around for two decades since The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, and suddenly he's considered some sort of esoteric genius.
I understand that his latest effort had to be re-written by editors to make it even vaguely readable.

And yep...the public gobbles up tripe because they can't get their heads around anything that actually requires them to think. Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln is hardly what you might call scholarship but you can pretty well guarantee that of those that gobbled up da Vinci probably less than 0.00001% went on to read the Holy Blood.
Tiphareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #2400
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiphareth View Post
I refuse to read that damned man out of principle.
All that furore over the Da Vinci Code, regurgitating an idea that had actually been floating around for two decades since The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, and suddenly he's considered some sort of esoteric genius.
I understand that his latest effort had to be re-written by editors to make it even vaguely readable.

And yep...the public gobbles up tripe because they can't get their heads around anything that actually requires them to think. Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln is hardly what you might call scholarship but you can pretty well guarantee that of those that gobbled up da Vinci probably less than 0.00001% went on to read the Holy Blood.
And Holy Blood has long been debunked. Even the third Gabriel Knight game at least had fun with it and threw shit like VAMPIRES into the mix.

Gabriel Knight has something in common with IT, someone tie it together ^_^