Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #51
Pineapple_Juice

Meh. NO idea.
Well, okay, let me break it down. My parents both love things like Led Zep, Metallica, Suicidal Tendencies, Megadeth, and stuff like Scorpions, Rush, Tesla, and the like. My granny loves Oldies. I was brought up with a mix of these things.
When I was a little kid I went through a boy band phase that could possibly have been the result of my parents thinking boy bands were shit and me wanting to be a little rebel. Then I started listening to stuff like Sublime, No Doubt (in the Tragic Kingdom days), the Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode-popular shit, but at least not boy bands.

Depeche Mode and NIN got me into some EMB stuff like Combichrist, Skinny Puppy, Funker Vogt, Wumpscut, etc.

The Cure led to The Smiths/Morrissey, RP, Specimen, Nosferatu, Killing Joke, etc.

No Doubt and Sublime led to stuff like The Specials, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Reel Big Fish, Big D, etc.

And I don't know dick about punk. I also had a phase that lasted like a year where I was into weird symphonic metal shit but we don't talk about that.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #52
Pineapple_Juice

Oh, I forgot. I'm pretty sure oldies got me into some rockabilly/psychobilly stuff like Nekromantix, Cramps, Horrorpops, Koffin Cats, Horton Heat, etc.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM   #53
Catch

I remembered one of the bands that confirmed my love of Industrial.

Ministry "So What?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtiffRnQfHs

Probably one of the best bands ever. "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" is probably within the first 10 CDs I owned.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #54
PortraitOfSanity

I got really into grunge/90's stuff in High School: Sonic Youth, Nirvana, Mudhoney, all that, plus some punk. From there I got into the NOLA sound: Crowbar, Soilent Green etc, which took me into sludge and deeper into Doom Metal. Seeing Pelican (they used to play a ton in Chicago til they moved out) also got into some drone stuff. Somewhere along the line I got into Napalm Death, Carcass and the rest of the grindcore stuff, which simultaneously got me into Discharge style punk. I got into Black Metal by accident after I got really into Drudkh and Gorgoroth.

The Goth stuff I listen to came from the Doom Metal, where Goth was just the tamer/punkier version of My Dying Bride... Or something...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #55
Mauritia Mayer

Goth and Post-punk: reading about "Love Will Tear Us Apart" in a magazine article and then finding Joy Division
Doom metal: listening to my brother's Black Sabbath CD's
Classic rock/prog/psychedelic: listening to my parent's old vinyls
Industrial/electronic: the wonderful world of Wikipedia
Mauritia Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:01 AM   #56
LadyMordred

My mum nurtured and encouraged my love for music. She was a punk in the 70s and went into new wave & goth in the 80s, these days she will listen to anything with good guitar riffs & drum beats and she has always encouraged me to find bands no one has really heard of. She's also a big fan of metal too.
LadyMordred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #57
Angelic Dissonance

I began with rock, strived for a harder but more depressing and grungier sound, so wound up listening to Stain'd, Seether, and Puddle of Mudd. Even Nickelback. Got bored, discovered WRFL(college station), fell in love immediatly with underground hip-hop. Grew up with disco and '80s, by the way... and wished for something which I never found in EBM . *heart subwoofers* I always thought 'Sweet Dreams' was the coolest song EVER, but could never remember the name EURYTHMICS. After chasing an underground show on WRFL, I found Hardcore, which fullfilled me.... for a while. The first time I heard metal, I dropped it like a rock. Yes, Death Metal it was!!! and some Black. Looking back, I listened to Industrial all my young life.... thank God for late-night radio. Hmm... but when it comes to actual Goth Rock... was it 'Just Like Heaven', or was it 'Bela Lugosi's Dead'? I'll tell you this: I was listening to Last.FM's Sisters of Mercy Radio when 'This Corrosion' came on, and I said to myself, "That's the final straw. I'm looking for some bootlegs." Now I've gone and paid money for their music.... but it's worth it. I've always tried to be diverse. 'The Wall' IS the greatest album EVER. It is. Right now, I'm listening to Chris Vrenna.... and who the fuck is he?!?!? But he's good, I'll give him that. And Andrew himself got me into Leonard Cohen, with the help of David Bowie.
Angelic Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #58
Catch101

Darkwave/Post-Punk: Depeche Mode, The Cure
Hardcore Punk: Minor Threat, 7 Seconds
Oi: Cock Sparrer, The Last Resort, Cockney Rejects
Rap: Wu-Tang Clan, Tribe Called Quest, Project Pat
Catch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #59
gomez_928

Well this probably officially makes me the lamest person on the board, but before I listened to goth music, I listened to CHRISTIAN ROCK :P Talk about a complete 180...

I guess I "turned to the dark side" after discovering some goth bands online (back when you could actually get music for free on Napster). The first few bands I heard were Inkubus Sukkubus, London After Midnight, Bauhaus, and The Sisters (among a few others). Sometime later I acquired music from Informatik which got me into industrial.

Nowadays I listen mainly to darkwave and EBM/industrial dance along with a lot of old post-punk/goth rock/deathrock and some female-fronted gothic rock/metal (Sirenia, Within Temptation, Tristania, etc)
gomez_928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #60
Catch101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez_928 View Post
Well this probably officially makes me the lamest person on the board, but before I listened to goth music, I listened to CHRISTIAN ROCK :P Talk about a complete 180...

I guess I "turned to the dark side" after discovering some goth bands online (back when you could actually get music for free on Napster). The first few bands I heard were Inkubus Sukkubus, London After Midnight, Bauhaus, and The Sisters (among a few others). Sometime later I acquired music from Informatik which got me into industrial.

Nowadays I listen mainly to darkwave and EBM/industrial dance along with a lot of old post-punk/goth rock/deathrock and some female-fronted gothic rock/metal (Sirenia, Within Temptation, Tristania, etc)
Listen to some Joy Electric. Specifically, "We Are the Music Makers".

Pretty much Christian Darkwave...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #61
gomez_928

Haha Joy E is pretty much my favorite non-goth band
gomez_928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #62
Catch101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomez_928 View Post
Haha Joy E is pretty much my favorite non-goth band
If it wasn't for The Smiths, I would probably say the same! But I do love me some Joy Electric...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #63
Anarasha

Well that depends, seperate bands got me into different genres.
To be honest, my current style started out by me being an angry, attention hungry cutting, suicidal teen believing the Goth scene could bring me closer to being evil :P (yeah I know, hillarious)
So I just typed in Goth in some P2P program and found Paradise Lost, and for some reason this led me to believe that growling and metal in general was gothic music :P (so dumb, eh? :P )
I later learned a bit about true gothic music : P (Though I must admit, I have problems distinguishing what is "true goth music" and what's just plain awesomeness :P)
So, thank you, suicidal angry teenage years! :D
A friend of mine sent me Arch Enemy's End of the Line which got me really into Arch Enemy, thereby sparking my love for Heavy Metal and the likes. My father and brother have always been great fans of Iron Maiden, so naturally, I tried some of that out at a later age, and I absolutely loved it.
I have listened to a lot of music, and I listen to some different styles now :)
Disturbed really got me into this so-called "NU Metal", but not as much as the rest of it :)
And seeing as Andrew Lloyd Webber is purely brilliant, they aired The Phantom of the Opera on danish TV once, and that got me into musicals :)
So I have as many answers to your questions as I have bands that I like :)
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #64
DemiGoth

it was about 2 years ago, i ws on youtube watching some videos and i watched this one with a linkin park song. i really liked it and got into them which opened up the world of music for me.

then i moved to three days grace

then onto slipknot

then i started listening to anything metal/alternative. THEN i became goth. this is when i took my love for metal and transferred it to goth metal such as Lamb of God and Behemoth. I also opened up to cyber/industrial goth musioc such as dawn of ashes.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #65
JCC

Are you a troll?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #66
Pineapple_Juice

Will you like the response either way?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #67
Todesengel

I started off listening to a lot of pop and I really liked rap. Eminem would have been my favourite artist for a number of years. My first serious girlfriend was into some emo as well as a little decent metal. After hearing My plague by Slipknot I fell in love and then found Rammstein and Bullet for my Valentine. Over time I got into HIM and Cradle of Filth and many others such as The 69 eyes, Atreyu, Marilyn manson, Amon amarth, Cannibal corpse and Disturbed.
Todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #68
Ophelia's Snorkel

My father played Pink Floyd's The Wall obsessively; my mother liked Bread. I guess if you mesh those two together and force them to birth a child, it's...well, unspeakable. But it explains a lot about me.

My own musical tastes were given a severe and wonderful eye-opening with first The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams video (such an astonishingly beautiful and powerful androgynous Annie Lennox in that one) and The Cure's Just Like Heaven video (in which I discovered, yes hormones are real and wow do I ever feel them!). Those sent me in search of other, similar things, and before I knew it I was listening to what I would years later come to understand as goth rock.

Seriously, I've dated myself already, but I'm so old we weren't even called "goths" when I was in school. We were just "freaks"!
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #69
Mark Anthony Quested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
I was popping this one around my head this morning and I thought I'd post it.
What band/event/etc got you into that music you listen to? How long ago was it?

The one thing that opened my mind to all kind of punk happened to me about 3-4 years ago. I bought a G.B.H box set becasue I liked the cover. As soon as I listened to the "Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne" EP, I was blown away. From that moment on I knew the kind of music/life I liked and wanted to live.

So what about you? This isn't justa bout punk or goth, but any music you like. Please share your stories.
In terms of Goth?

Simon (an old childhood friend), who played me an album called "The Nephilim" by Fields of the Nephilim. And the rest is history.

MQ
Mark Anthony Quested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #70
lamp

I started off liking classic rock, when I was in elementary school. I basically listened to heavier and heavier stuff and found myself into metal. Alongside that I was getting into Punk, which brought me more out of metal and more into gothic rock. It also got me into ska and reggae. As for rap, I got into Public Enemy first, and for dub, Lee Perry.
lamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #71
allyssa

Tori amos ...boys for pelee if you listen to the lyrics they are dark...and little earthquakes, the religious dissent inspired a lot of my paintings..my own depression attracted goths and I am not really goth..more of a dark artist who fits many goth stereotypes, But I guess all about eve and other bat cave bands..I also love opeth right now..
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #72
Mark Anthony Quested

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyssa View Post
Tori amos ...boys for pelee if you listen to the lyrics they are dark...and little earthquakes, the religious dissent inspired a lot of my paintings..my own depression attracted goths and I am not really goth..more of a dark artist who fits many goth stereotypes, But I guess all about eve and other bat cave bands..I also love opeth right now..
When I worked in a bookshop (pre Amazon days!),. we often listened to the album "Little Earthquakes". I must buy it again!

"I crucify myself everyday"

MQ
Mark Anthony Quested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #73
allyssa

my favorite is blood roses and winter, I still love her tenderly... I felt fiona apple was also dark and brooding with delicate and angsty imagery, I love the cure too because of all of the imagery in disintegration..
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #74
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony Quested View Post
Simon (an old childhood friend), who played me an album called "The Nephilim" by Fields of the Nephilim. And the rest is history.
Those childhood friends have a lot to answer for. I can blame various friends for playing me Depeche Mode, the Ramones, Bauhaus, Front 242...
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #75
αρнσтι¢ єι∂σℓση

The beautiful vocals of singers. (I listen to Opera)
Other than that, screamo kind of helped get out of a pit. You can sometimes get related to different tones and melodies.
I've been like that over six years.
I was a Dracula by the age of four o.O
αρнσтι¢ єι∂σℓση is offline   Reply With Quote