Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #6426
MissCheyenne

Thanks for the offer Doobie. Sadly though, I can't take it up since I'm in England but thanks for the thought

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #6427
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
I get the distinct feeling I'm not tall enough for that ride.
Wear platforms, or else I'll lend you a soapbox that I use occassionally.

*shuffles to the back of the line, 'hey isn't this the queue for free chocolate? what no? aw heck I've messed up again. oh it's the other sort of sweets'*

Miss C - hugs, big mega huge hugs, and I'll bring around the bottle of alcohol and you can get plastered and I'll clean up for awhile.

Ah I forgot my rant.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #6428
Valhalla

My university seriously needs to stop relying on computers so heavily. I had no internet for the first week of class, and things I needed to do have already built up.

It made me really feel for students who don't have the money to buy a computer/keep internet hooked up. Teachers expect them to spend an hour or so in the library pretty much every day. Which for some people could mean they have to go home to eat, then go back to school later on. It's hard enough trying to keep up with school if you have a job or volunteer or just have other weekly commitments, and having to fit in time to go to the library every week to get some percent of your grade doesn't seem fair.

Also most of the online assignment programs are buggy and I hate them. Paper and pencil assignments are much better.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #6429
Saya

Might just be particular faculties, I've only had a few courses that had online materials and even then its mostly "oh this is where i'm going to post the notes after class".
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #6430
Valhalla

It seems to be more of a science thing. I know the low level chemistry and physics has weekly online assignments, and math 1000 has an online one every second week.

The worst part is that if you buy your book used for any of these classes you still have to pay 40 bucks to get a code for access to the online assignments.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #6431
Saya

Gross. Yeah, made a good choice going for a BA XD
Old 09-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #6432
Spooky Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
The worst part is that if you buy your book used for any of these classes you still have to pay 40 bucks to get a code for access to the online assignments.
Just for a code? Why isn't that included in the class fee?

Zombie Protest:
"What do we want?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
"When do we want it?" "Braaaaaaaaaaains...!"
Spooky Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #6433
Valhalla

That would be too logical.

This way they get to pressure students to buy expensive books brand new!
Old 09-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #6434
Solumina

I really wish Jake wasn't such a picky eater, I'm so used to cooking for him that even when he isn't here I don't think to cook things that he won't eat (hell I don't even have the necessary ingredients to make many things that he doesn't eat).
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:34 PM   #6435
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
I really wish Jake wasn't such a picky eater, I'm so used to cooking for him that even when he isn't here I don't think to cook things that he won't eat (hell I don't even have the necessary ingredients to make many things that he doesn't eat).
Well, the navy will probably give him such awful food during basic and on cruise that he'll eat anything you make him from now on. Pretty sweet, huh?
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #6436
Solumina

I'm looking forward to that little added benefit, I love to cook but I've really gotten tired of making the same few dishes all the time.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #6437
Saya

My sister is the same way. She got all excited when I moved in because I cook and she was all like "you can make me healthy things to eat!"

I have to twist her arm to get her to eat vegetables. My favourite quick meal is a no-queso quesadilla, which is basically hummus, salsa and some veggies in a quesadilla. Easy peasy! Delicious! Even that, and yes she likes hummus, I had to rant and rave about it for weeks before she got brave enough to try it. Of course, she loves it.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #6438
Solumina

See with Jake he will try stuff as long as it doesn't have something in it that he hates (like tomato sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, cheese other than American or Cheddar, and about a thousand other things), even if you can't really taste it or if he just hates the idea of it so much that he becomes repulsed by anything containing that ingredient. For example there is one casserole that he will eat (his mother has been making it since he was little) and he is not allowed to know what goes in it because it cream of chicken soup in it.

That being said he will at least eat his veggies, if I gave him a huge bowl of broccoli for dinner he would be happy, and he is much happier snacking on carrots, celery, or edamame than candy. It isn't really that I'm concerned that his diet is unhealthy, I just want to be more creative in the kitchen and to be able to improve my culinary skills.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #6439
Saya

Oooh, I hate that too. Usually I just won't tell Robyn if there's something in there she doesn't like but I would imagine she wouldn't be able to detect. Seems to work.

She also has this thing where she won't eat something cold or hot. Like she loves spinach, but if I put it on a pizza she won't eat it.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #6440
Solumina

Jake is like that with carrots, he likes them raw but will not touch them if they have been cooked at all, even just a quick stir fry, it drives me crazy.

Also he likes the taste of onion but hates the texture so I have to cut them into ridiculously small pieces in order for them to become Jacob acceptable, and onions are a pain in the ass to cut that small.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #6441
MissCheyenne

My doctor thinks I have shingles. Fanfuckingtastic. My head hurts so bad, I can't even brush my hair because touching anywhere on the left side of my head is agony. He fully expects me to be breaking into lovely, blistery rashes within the next 24 hours.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #6442
Solumina

Damn MC, that's awful. Try to take it easy and hopefully you will feel better soon.

Tried something new with dinner tonight, cinnamon-maple pork loin with apples and onions. We both agreed that the pork loin was yummy but we disagreed about the apples and onions, I found them exceptional but Jake just kind of poked at them with his fork and decided that they were disgusting. Yet another thing that I like and he can't stand.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #6443
Fruitbat

crushed my god dam finger

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #6444
Ben Lahnger

I got out of work last night nearly an hour late due to that last customer that took a while. Then my car died when I left to go home.

It stalled two blocks away from work just as I was about to turn onto a freeway entrance ramp, and I spent 10 minutes trying to get it to start up again while I was partially blocking the ramp with my emergency blinkers on and desperately hoping nobody rear-ended me. Then I got it to start, and I started driving it back to work to get it parked. It killed 3 more times on the way back, and each time it took a while to get it started again. And when it did start, it sputtered and hesitated like it wasn't getting enough gas, even when I was pumping the gas pedal madly.

So after a half hour of that I got it parked in front of my downtown store. I called another employee and got them to open the store this morning. Then I called a friend to come pick me up and drive me the 22 miles to my northwest side home.

So today I have to take a cab to the nearest Metro Park N Ride lot, then take a bus downtown. Then I'm going to get my car towed to the nearest garage and hope like hell this thing doesn't cost me a whole lot of money I don't have.

If this is an expensive repair, even a moderately expensive repair, it's gonna kill me because I don't know who I can afford not to pay at this point. Might be my cell phone bill ... and that will just screw with my job search, which was how I was going to dig out of the financial hole I'm in.

CRAP!

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #6445
Solumina

Do you have relatively easy access to a library? They have public internet access so you could cut your home internet (though you may have to pay a cancellation fee). Also keep in mind that if it will be rather short term that you can put off things like gas and electricity as they have very low fees for late payment.

You can also look into unemployment, I know that you have a job but I think I remember you saying that you were being paid more than you are now so you should qualify as being underemployed. You may not and even if you do it may not pay much but it could help.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #6446
Grausamkeit

Holy shit, people!

*HUGZ* everyone

Ben, it's gonna cost money no matter what. We recently had to use my school money to fix the car(again!) and pay the phone bill(over $200, wtf???). So, yeah, disappoint about that. But, it's better to have a running car for work/college in the long run. It's gonna be tight, love. I'm right there with you.

Fru, ow! Is it actually crushed or just smashed from laying pipe?

MissC, goddamn. *hugz*

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #6447
Ben Lahnger

Wolfie, you're right. It's all money, init? Thanks for the empathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Do you have relatively easy access to a library? They have public internet access so you could cut your home internet (though you may have to pay a cancellation fee). Also keep in mind that if it will be rather short term that you can put off things like gas and electricity as they have very low fees for late payment.

You can also look into unemployment, I know that you have a job but I think I remember you saying that you were being paid more than you are now so you should qualify as being underemployed. You may not and even if you do it may not pay much but it could help.
Sol, I don't have a library anywhere near me. I have no cable TV, the electric is pretty cheap here, I just dropped the netflix to save another $8 a month ... and if I had to I could discontinue the internet at home and walk to one of the nearby restaurants that has it for free and use it for the price of a cup of coffee, but I'm trying to avoid that.

I got this job just in the nick of time ... after being on unemployment for about a year and a half, I had just received my LAST benefit check when I got hired. I'll have to work for a while before I'd qualify for any more UC benefits. It was a good idea though. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

I got the car to the garage, they didn't charge me anything to diagnose it = the valve cover gasket was leaking oil into the distributor cap, rotor, spark plug wires and spark plugs. They actually cleaned the distributor cap and rotor up enough that it would run decently again, but then quoted me $405 for parts, labor and oil change (because of course it's been leaking out) to fix it. None of the pricing seemed particularly high, but I just don't have all of that at once.

So I called my old mechanic (who lets me pay off his repair work in payments) and he offered to do it for less ($350 with the towing to his place). But since the first garage cleaned it up enough to be able to drive it there without the tow, I expect it should cost less than that. I dropped it off there tonight, and hope that they fix it tomorrow and I can pick it up on Thursday. Then I can pay off the repair over the next couple of paychecks.

The first garage did the diagnosis and got it running for no charge. I am going to have to get some work done there soon ... oil changes, routine maintenance, something ... and maybe refer a customer or two ... just to repay them for their kindness.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #6448
Solumina

At least as far as catastrophic car problems go $350 isn't too bad, especially if you're able to pay in installments. Hopefully this rough patch you're going through will be over soon.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #6449
Grausamkeit

Ben, it is all money and there never seems to be enough. That's the problem. If I were in a position to help you out like you've done for me in the past I would, love.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #6450
Fruitbat

MissC - shingles suck. Now you are going to have to call up your siblings and get them to haul their asses around to help your mum... Do it! You are overworked and stressed and a ton of other things. You need to look after yourself hun. mwah.

Sol - I hear you with the picky eating - I just give up cooking dinner for Mr Bat and tell him he has to fend for himself - heck he's old enough.. he doesn't like it but the alternative is listening to me bitch about how he never eats my cooking.

Oh and I had a friend who hated butter/margarine but loved apple crumble - until the day he saw his wife making it (butter, flour, sugar).. never went near it again.

Ben - Oh dude, if it's not raining its pouring. Glad it wasn't anything major with the car. Maybe you should get a book from the library on car repairs, and do your own maintence. Changing oil in old cars is pretty easy, even i've done it a few times and I'm not that engine savvy.

Oh and if it makes you feel any better Ben Mr Bat was doing something on our BMW, flattened the battery, which in turn screwed the alternator and $1800 later the car was on the road again (thank god for warranties)...

Graus - i was closing the gate, after backing the trailer down the block. The posts have been backed in before, and are sheered off just above the concrete, so I have to practically lift the whole fence, while wiggling it to line it up to close it, anyway I was holding the fence, and trying to drop this guilotine type closer (made of metal) and my stupid index finger got in the way, as the closer slammed down, so it was crushed. I have a purple spot on it and the tip is still really sore. Babybat was around so I was mouthing the word "fuckenjesusfuckenchristfuckfuckfuckityfuck" and out loud I managed a crapola.

Master 2.5 was all "mummy hurt? Me see?" and then he kissed my finger better and of course I had to be all "Oh thanks honey, that feels so much better"

So I texted Mr Bat and told him I needed him to come home early (because I'm the biggest woose in the world)... I do wonder sometimes, because I act full of bravado and crap and then the next minute I'm all "Oh gee, I've broke a nail/got a papercut/need a big squishy hug/being a prissy little princess." I don't know what I was expecting Mr Bat to do, I'm way more practical than he is, although he does look better in the nurses uniform... meeeoooww...