Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
kwaniesiam

Talking Hair savior! A homemade recipe for deep conditioning.

I've been trying to grow my hair out long in healthy condition for a few years and it is just past my waist now. Along the way, I ran into a deep leave in conditioning treatment that works wonders you can make on your own with just 3 ingrediants. This works wonders on chemically treated hair for adding moisture and shine without putting a junkload of chemicals and the gods know what else on your hair.

Take two parts of a cheaper brand of conditioner such as Suave, VO5, White Rain, or some natural kind like Nature's Gate.

Mix that with one part pure aloe vera gel, the clear kind not the colored kind for evil sunburns. You can get this in most drug stores in the skin care aisle, I use Fruit of the Earth brand. Then add one part of honey. Yes, honey as in the stuff you eat. It sounds weird but honey is excellent for moisturizing and will not leave your hair the least bit sticky, I promise Warn it up in the microwave for about 10 seconds. It will be runny, that is okay.

Slap this on your hair, provided its not loaded with hairspray or gel, and throw a plasitc bag over your head. Leave this on anywhere from 20 min-1 hour and rinse out. Do not shampoo afterwards and allow to airdry. Ta Da!

I've been doing this for over a year and has helped my hair tremendously. If anyone tries it, let me know how you like it.

ps: I do not take credit for this. It was developed by Snowymoon from The Long Hair Community. I just wanted to share because it's amazing and some of us gothy types tend to process our hair quite a bit
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
NachtSorcier

That sounds really cool. I'd try it, but my hair, despite its constant abuse at the hands of lots and lots of hairspray, gel, colored spray, dye, crimping, teasing and blowdrying, for some reason remains soft and silky with regular washing and conditioning with Garnier Fructis, so I think this remedy would be overkill.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
Lucretia_my_Reflection

I have a seriously knot problem at the moment so im going to drown it in condishioner tonight and attack it with a wide tooth comb. My hair is half way down my back and a dark shade of red. Gosh if i used what you use i would use up half a bottle a wash x.x
Lucretia_my_Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
electrosexual

*perks ears up*

did someone say hair?!

Gawd my hair's been through hell 'n' back. Its faded black ATM. there were a few recipes I used to use when my hair was in tatters ...

Recipe #1
ingredients:
1/2/3/4 eggs depending on the length of your hair

Beat eggs mercilessly until both yolk(s) and white become one gloopy mix.

Recipe #2
Tablespoon of honey
Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
1 avocado mashed

Mash all ingredients together to form a fine pulp.

Put either one in your hair and wrap in cling film for ages, preferably 2 hours or even overnight if you can. It also helps if you whizz a hairdryer over your head as heat acts as a catalyst.

And i must try out the conditioner/aloe mix. Thank you for sharing!
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
Cayca

Want stronger hair roots?
Burdock oil. Massage it into your scalp (it would be great if you have that wooden massage hair brush) and leave it for at least two hours. You will have to shampoo hair at least two times to wash it out, so use some mild baby shampoo. It gives results from the first use.
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
kwaniesiam

I don't use shampoo anymore. I just wash with conditioner. Sounds weird, but my hair has been cleaner than ever since I started. Conditioner cleans just as well as shampoo, it just needs to sit on your hair longer. Before I thought my hair was overly oily, but actually I was using too harsh of a shampoo which stripped off my hair's natural oils and my scalp had been overproducing to make up for it. That can be a very vicious cycle...

I also came up with this recipe that can be used as an oil treatment or on skin as a lotion.

Ingrediants:
Pure Aloe Vera gel (not the colored kind for sunburns, make sure it is clear and says 100% aloe gel. Some drug stores have this near skin care and if not, a health food store will surely have it)

Jojoba Oil (health food store)

Cocoa butter (or shea butter depending on your preferences. This can be found at health stores, drug stores, and some beauty supply places in the form of a solid stick. Just chop off part of the stick and melt it down)

Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sweet almond oil, emu oil, coconut oil or whatever you like and have on hand. (if using coconut, add a little extra jojoba as coconut oil is a solid at room temperature and the goal is to make the cocoa butter less solid)

Instructions:

Melt the cocoa and/or shea (shea will melt faster) butter in the microwave in a bowl using 20-30 seconds at a time, and add equal ammount of jojoba oil afterwards it has all melted down. Stir this together, then add half the ammount of EVOO (or whatever you choose) to that. Let it cool down a bit, stirring every so often. Put it in the fridge to make this go faster. When it is back around room temperature, add the same amount of aloe gel as the oil mixture is in the bowl (I eyeball everything, and you can adjust to suit your needs). Mix this together well, pour in a tub, and leave it to cool down and set up. With the right ratios, this stuff should be around the consistency of soft butter, and will melt in your hands. The smell is very mild, unless you dislike the scent of cocoa butter or shea. To me, cocoa butter smells like a light chocolate (DUH).

Enjoy! And if anyone makes some, let me know how you like it.

For regular hair use, I just take a fingernail full and smooth it down my length and an extra bit for the ends. This is also good for moisturizing any stretched piercings you may have, I use it on my currently 6g earlobes.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 AM   #7
korinna5555

I may have to try this.. my hair is down to my butt (and it's wavy)
Thanks!

[edit] How long did it take to notice results when you started washing with conditioner? I have an oily scalp, and I am considering trying this.. >_>
Old 08-18-2007, 06:05 AM   #8
Aaroneet

I think I might try that. Thanks .
Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
kwaniesiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I may have to try this.. my hair is down to my butt (and it's wavy)
Thanks!

[edit] How long did it take to notice results when you started washing with conditioner? I have an oily scalp, and I am considering trying this.. >_>
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/

That site will have all the hair info you'll need. I noticed results within a few weeks, but there are certain things that apply when Conditioner-only washing.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=68006 there's all the information you'll need on it.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Porphyria

I'm surprised no one suggested mayonnaise. I just noticed I can sit on my own hair about a week ago and it's all thanks to a twice-monthly slathering of mayonnaise.

I smear on a handful while my hair is damp, run a wide-tooth comb through it to help distribute it evenly, wrap it in plastic and leave it for about 30 minutes. Then I wash and condition it normally.

It's a budget-friendly way to keep your hair smooth and shiny and to repair damage.
Porphyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #11
kwaniesiam

I've tried mayonnaise before. Didn't work for me, but it is an excellent protien treatment. Oiling your hair also keeps it healthy. I use jojoba oil, as it closely resembles the natural sebum your scalp produces. Other options are coconut, emu, sweet almond, grapeseed, and even extra virgin olive oil (might be a bit too heavy for some). I take a few drops and rub between my palms until they are shiney, then run them down my length after I get out of the shower and my hair is still wet. When it dries, your hair shouldn't be greasy at all.

Another good tip for longer hair is to invest in a good boar bristle brush. These aren't meant for detangling so much as distrubuting the natural scalp oils throughout your length and smoothing the hair down. Obviously, not a good idea if you have very curly hair though...
Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
honeythorn

I think the growth of my hair is stunted or something. It's always been like that, even when I was a child. My hair has never visited my elbows I get my mom to trim the dead ends regularly too, and I trim/cut my own fringe . I know dyeing doesn't help, but I sure as hell am not going back to blonde.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
psyches_reflection

I used to use a very nice beer-based shampoo/conditioner, which did wonderful things to me hair until I became allergic. *grumbles quietly* I might try a few of these suggestions though, I miss my long hair. I used tobe able to sit on it but it's only shoulder length now...

I find that colouring my hair with Henna is very benficial to it's condition - I can go without conditioner for up to two weeks after. You do have to spend at least six hours with your hair wrapped up in cling-film smelling like a tea-bag to get any kind of decent result.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
Anguelon

I used mayonnaise once and had a severe case of seborrhoeic dermatitis. It was horrible. But, I liked many of the mixtures you guys placed here.