Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #126
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
did you even think to read what he last wrote.... probably not, seeing as we already ended our discussion. get over it. he doesn't need you to vouch for him.
I'm not vouching for him so much as telling you how stupid you sound.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #127
Amunet

:: shakes head in disgust ::
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #128
Despanan

Well, it seems we've all in agreement of how TOTALLY BADASS I am, so lets make that the new topic of this thread.

Each of you needs to come up with twelve reasons why you'd let your children pledge undying fealty to me. I want it on my desk no later than Friday morning.

GO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #129
PortraitOfSanity

Well, you look like Eddie Vedder...

I R winnar?

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #130
Saya

I still say he looks like that guy at uni we call Smeagol.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #131
Still Jack

If I remember correctly, you have good facial hair.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #132
ape descendant

...as much as I hate politics, I must care about them.

In a democratic representative republic, voting for candidates is the most say we really get in the legislative process. That's why I feel its important to follow issues, policies and decisions, made by my representatives.

Some times it feels like the democratic process "isn't working", usually that feeling comes when one's favored candidate didn't win, or some stupid piece of crap policy was put into place.

I assure you, however, that with enough real pressure, changes can be made. Its all just a matter of finding a whole bunch of people who feel the same way you do.
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #133
Delkaetre

Politics affects who I am legally allowed to love and enjoy a consensual sexual relationship with.
Politics affects how much my food costs and where it comes from.
Politics affects whether I can speak, travel and associate freely.
Politics affects the level of care I'll receive if I'm ill or injured, and how much it will cost me.
Politics affects my bodily autonomy, choosing whether I can have access to abortions or not.
Politics affects whether I have access to a good public transport system or not, and how much it costs.
Politics affects whether I'll ever be conscripted into the armed forces.
Politics affects how much I'll get paid, and whether it'll be enough to live on.

Politics affects every single detail in our lives. You can hate it and try to ignore it or try to distance yourself from it, but you can never escape it. Pretending you can is ignorant and smacks of head-in-sand denial of reality. Engage with it, and just *maybe* you'll be able to do something to change your world for the better. At least you'll start to understand why things are the way they are.

Personally, I don't hate or love politics. That's like saying I love or hate the existence of trees or water- politics is just a fact of life, it's how you choose to engage with it that makes the difference.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #134
MollyMac

^ what she said ^

And choosing not to have a political opinion is an expression of a political opinion. It does not mean you have to like it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #135
Alan

Almost, but not quite. It goes beyond that: not having a political opinion is an impossibility, precisely because any conscious decision regarding politics is a political decision.
Deciding to have no political opinion is like deciding to have no human characteristics; you can't so long as you're human.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #136
Delkaetre

By the way, do check out the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's about the human aspects of terraforming Mars, and the possible paths it could take- the attempts by transnational corporations to use it as a big rock full of resources regardless of the residents' views, the revolutions and attempts to gain independence from earth, the factionalism and revolts within Martian society itself, the clashing of viewpoints between those from earth and still tied to Terran politics and economics, and those born on Mars who set themselves apart from Terra.

And other, equally human aspects as well- relationships, arguments, personal vendettas, falling in love, aesthetic decisions on the future of the red planet.

Worth a read, and may reinforce how everything can be political- breeding, breathing, travelling, building, social evolution and more.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:36 AM   #137
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
I don't mean to come across as a whiny bitch but well I am a female, and our emotions do tend to be overbearing. lol.
Scoozie Miss Coulter but this whiny bitch resents that statement.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 AM   #138
Amunet

Lol. Aw come on, you know there's some truth to that there statement... =) especially for me right now. I'm being a very whiny emotional bitch this week.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:42 AM   #139
Doppleganger2

Politics is gay. Politicians everywhere are epic failing, especially the ones that wanna take away our rights n' stuff. Soon there will be no more politics. People will just live for the lulz.
Doppleganger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #140
Apathy's_Child

Maybe it's the fact that I'm a little juiced, but that actually cracked me up.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #141
FlowerGirl

I never believe in politicians.
FlowerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #142
Immolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
It's not politicians who are ruining this country . It's "woe-is-me for having to stay informed" idiots like yourself who stand by and whine about not giving a fuck, and then stand by and whine about how the country's going down the shitter and noone did anything about it. This country is full of you people. Look what happens in the U.K when the government cuts benefits, there's fucking riots in the fucking streets and buildings getting burned. Here people just roll over and take it in the ass.

You disgust me. Grow some fucking balls (figuratively, of course) and get with it.
It would be nice for people to have that sort of incentive over here.
It would be so much better to see people taking a stand, however futile,
than just rolling over like a dog.
Immolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #143
Alan

What have YOU done?
real classy
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #144
Solumina

I'd guess he hasn't even tried to do anything seeing as there have been plenty of protests, most haven't been very large but at least they happened.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #145
Saya

Not to mention that even if there isn't anything going on at the moment, you can make something happen. Someone has to get the ball rolling, might as well be you.

Quote:
Lol. Aw come on, you know there's some truth to that there statement... =) especially for me right now. I'm being a very whiny emotional bitch this week.
You have a vagina, not a personality disorder. You are however, a moron, and your gender has no bearing on that.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #146
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
You are however, a moron, and your gender has no bearing on that.
Sorry , you can't back that up so I'm not going to take you seriously. I don't go around insulting people for the hell of it on here, and I have no idea why some of you insist that it's the only way to prove your point. That irritates me to no end. and I'm sure a number of others. It's actually quite ignorant. To think that you can actually prove your own superiority by demeaning someone else's worth is pathetic. Take it somewhere else Saya. This conversation has been done for a bit now, and your two cents didn't do any good except for show people that the only way you can have a conversation is by insulting the other party. Way to go.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #147
Alan

You think you're justified in being a fucking bitch by saying that all women are whiny bitches. That's either sexist or fucking stupid.
Sexism itself is fucking stupid.
Ergo, you are stupid either way.
real classy
Old 02-12-2010, 07:43 AM   #148
Amunet

I WAS BEING SARCASTIC! or are you so stuck in your own little world that you honestly believe I think that all women are bitches and whiny... JESUS FUCKING CHRIST people.

get over it Alan. Stop trying to turn everything into a debate. It's old.

Go practice your "I know all" bullshit with someone who wants to listen.

An old saying comes to mind.... something about nobody cares how much you know, just how much you care...

Unless everything is beneath you and you can't be bothered to care about anything other than yourself or your close minded opinions.
I don't care how much education you have, it's obviously apparent you have a lot to learn about life, and people, because from your posts I can see that all you do is berate others who you don't believe are worthy to be in your "online" presence.

Give me a break.
next please
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #149
Alan

Holy shit, I didn't know I had that much influence in your mood. And yet you bitch about precisely the fact that I feel I have that effect.
Please don't be a hypocrite.
real classy
Old 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #150
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Holy shit, I didn't know I had that much influence in your mood. And yet you bitch about precisely the fact that I feel I have that effect.
Please don't be a hypocrite.

Yeah, most pricks usually have an effect on most people's moods.