Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Saya

Goth Power Make-Up!

Okay, so I'm not so into the goth look anymore, but I couldn't help making the thread a Sailor Moon reference. What's everyone doing for makeup these days?

I have an addiction to ELF because it's so goddamn cheap and I feel like I need to load up on stuff I don't really need to get the free shipping, so I have a lot of crap in my makeup bag I don't even use. I've been looking to more indie companies lately, since it seems easier to find stuff that isn't tested on animals. I really like Geek Chic Cosmetic's N7 eyeshadow, and I get a lot of complements on their Witch of the Wilds solid perfume. I've also been wanting to order some lipsticks from Colour Pop, but I'm finding it hard to resist some of their more vampy shades when I should be looking for a more everyday red.

I also noticed that it's easier now to find unique colours, and it's more in vogue than ever. It used to be I couldn't find a red eyeshadow or black lipstick (I'll always remember being told red eyeshadow "is for whores" when I asked about it once), but it's pretty easy now. Hell even green lipstick is becoming popular. It kiiiiinda makes me want to go for a goth or vampy look again just so I can do it right, because I only had cheap Halloween black lipstick and black eyeshadow, which looked bad.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:41 AM   #2
Acharis

I went off wearing makeup for a while, and am now trying to get the confidence and energy to wear it again. Would love to wear red eyeshadow like Geum Ja but that's a bit bold for me these days.

I just ordered NYX Butter Gloss in Angel Food Cake, Devils Food Cake, Red Velvet and Tiramisu. Also I got a dark purple lipstick (called Grunge).

I like bb cream like Palmers, and am about to try out Nude by nature. Cheap eyeliner and eyebrow pencil, and Maybelline Full n Soft is the best mascara I've ever worn.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Saya

I know what you mean! I've taken a long break from makeup, when I felt too self conscious to go without, and it wasn't very fun. I've actually been getting back into it because of feminism; I've actually read a few articles by feminists about how loud colours and bold eyebrows (and god am I happy thick eyebrows are in right now, for once I'm way ahead of the curve) is used to feel powerful and aggressive, and even intentionally look unattractive to men. Reading about the politics of no-makeup-makeup and contouring has been really interesting as well...and reading about makeup just makes me want to play with it even more XD
Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Acharis

For me it's been having shifting genderfeels and also going through a bit of an identity crisis... I became a lot more tomboy and a lot less alternative for a while and now I'm going through the makeup bag deciding what fits me best.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Saya

I know what you mean. I get around it by thinking, why is makeup gendered? I know male make up addicts who love bold colours but have to go around with the no-makeup-makeup look instead, or go without when outside the house, at least when they aren't around like minded people. It is a weird thing to be exclusive to one gender.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:22 PM   #6
Xombie

I've been pretty into wearing makeup lately since I have to look decent at work as a hostess, and it turns out that I can dress as gothy as I want. I'm so glad purple and dark red lipstick is ~cool~ right now because it's so easy to find. My favorite purple is probably from the Kate Moss collection (number 04). I mostly just use cheap makeup like NYC, which has a nice mahogany lipstick.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
nutellafly

I usually just hunt for bargains in Superdrug in my town and spend loads of money on NYC, L'oreal and MaxFactor cosmetics. It's just black eyeliner, mascara, dark eyeshadows, black and white eye pencils, some pale foundation, bronzer and few lispticks - red, purple and black. Really basic but you can look amazing using just that
nutellafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
Saya

We must have different ideas of what constitutes "basic" XD
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
nutellafly

I have a friend who's a makeup artist and she goes shopping with me, I don't know what's basic anymore xDD
nutellafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Saya

Oh, I get that then! I read a lot of makeup artist/addicts blogs and yeah, it's really simple compared to that.

One of my pet peeves though is when women complain about others wearing too much makeup, and say "well I only wear foundation, concealer, eyeliner, eyeshadow, dip dip, lipstick and gloss-barely anything." It's what I thought first, sorry XD