Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #201
Corpus_Draconis

I like the combination of capri-ish pants with that coat and that ponytail with the bow. I used that hairstyle yesterday, except I used a strip of lace instead of a velvet or satin ribbon. I also have some really cool capri pants that I would love to wear with a 1700's coat. They're black and white striped; not pinstripes, either. Bold fuckin' stripes.

I want a top hat.

Hell, I just wanna watch that movie! *turns on Interview with the Vampire*
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:42 PM   #202
winged_dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpus_Draconis
The imitation/modifying strategy is one thing I've been doing.
An other fun thing to do is get random cloth and pin together skirts or something. I did that one morning cuz I didn't want to wear pants, and it worked out very, very well. And then you don't have a fixed thing; you can easily change it whenever you want.

I desperately want a sewing machine. Making my own clothes would be so much easier that way. They can be expensive though... I need a simple, second-hand one. Or I'll convince my mom to get a new one and give me her old... *sighs and dreams of sewing machines...*
I feel your pain. I want a sewing machine too but all my money goes to school, gas, and food.

MrMaelstrom: Er... are you lactating?

Elite "No Clue What the Number Is"
winged_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #203
Corpus_Draconis

I just don't want to spend too much on one. Might as well practise being tight with money now, if I'm gonna be a starving artist when I get out of University... :P
Without an honest heart
as compass

--Nightwish.
Corpus_Draconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:08 AM   #204
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
My best friends parents dislike "goth" because, as everyone knows, we are all hard-core wrist-slitting bondage-loving satanists.
You forgot the part about eating babies...

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:34 AM   #205
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesion
I've been know for going into moshpits dressed in a vintage 20's flapper dress, satin arm-length gloves, a grey beret and mime makeup.
Oh dear. Sounds unwise. But I suppose you are prone to do unwise things, and are known for it?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #206
Sanctus Dei

[quote=Corpus_Draconis]

I want a top hat. [quote]

I own one. Wanna borrow it?

Wow.. Walmart is satan? *shrug* Hell if I can get shit for $1-$2 less then the average store I'm not turning up my nose to any facility of retail... Sure, I can afford the likes of Neman Marcus, but why?

(granted I won't touch the clothes... gah... but a sewing machine priced $25-50 less then the typical department store?! If I'm savin' cash why should I care where I buy it?)
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #207
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel81
If i can say anything about my style i would have to say it's victorian, Louis (yes from interview with the vampire) like. I adore that style. if i could get my hands on a decent white wig i would definetly wear it.
Decent white wig = before Victorian, i.e. breeches and panniers and satin frock coats and men in high heels and the like. You mean powdered white wig, right? The Victorians were into the shorter, more natural hairstyles which followed the French Revolution and became popular during the Regency period (thank you, Napoleon).

(Sorry. The history lunatic is kicking in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypurple
You forgot the part about eating babies...
Mmmmmmmbabies.
chloegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:18 AM   #208
Morrigan_Dubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
If I'm savin' cash why should I care where I buy it?)
If that's not a rhetorical question then I'll cautiously and respectfully suggest you watch "The Corporation", if you haven't already.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #209
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth
Decent white wig = before Victorian, i.e. breeches and panniers and satin frock coats and men in high heels and the like. You mean powdered white wig, right? The Victorians were into the shorter, more natural hairstyles which followed the French Revolution and became popular during the Regency period (thank you, Napoleon).

(Sorry. The history lunatic is kicking in.)

Mmmmmmmbabies.
Powdered wigs and those buckled high heeled shoe things seem more at home during the Hanoverian dynasty of Great Britain, and not during the rule of Queen Victoria. All the paintings and photographs I've ever seen of Victorian men have them in vests and waistcoats, with shorter hair and sporting moustaches. Owing to my obsession with the Victorian period, I once tried to grow a large Lord Kitchener style moustache to complement my sideburns. It looked ridiculous. I later learned that Kitchener only grew it to cover a scar on his face that he had received while raiding Mahdist camps along the Red Sea. Seeing as though I'm not scarred, I realized I didn't need one and shaved it off.

I salute thee, fellow History nerd.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #210
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

And since we're on the topic of Victorian styles, I'd love to have a late Victorian era khaki British officer's tunic with one of those broad leather pistol belts. I don't need the pistol, but the belts themselves look cool on the outside of the tunic. That and a pair of real cavalry boots. I have a pair of modern black harness boots, but the harness is built into the boot itself and runs under the arch of the foot, rather than being belted on the outside. It's alright, but the friction from the bulge in the insole of the boots (where the harness strap runs) pressing on my foot's arch got uncomfortable. It forced me to buy a pair of cheap Dr. Shoals insoles. That fixed the problem, but it's just not quite authentic.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #211
chloegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinstripesAndPithHelmets
Powdered wigs and those buckled high heeled shoe things seem more at home during the Hanoverian dynasty of Great Britain, and not during the rule of Queen Victoria. All the paintings and photographs I've ever seen of Victorian men have them in vests and waistcoats, with shorter hair and sporting moustaches. Owing to my obsession with the Victorian period, I once tried to grow a large Lord Kitchener style moustache to complement my sideburns. It looked ridiculous. I later learned that Kitchener only grew it to cover a scar on his face that he had received while raiding Mahdist camps along the Red Sea. Seeing as though I'm not scarred, I realized I didn't need one and shaved it off.

I salute thee, fellow History nerd.
Salutations! It's nice to know I'm not alone...

If you like weird facial hair...

http://www.worldbeardchampionships.com/

Many, many interesting things to look at.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #212
Cicero

History nerd-age is the best. None of you are alone in that.

Anyway the Victorian items I am in dire need of right now are a suitable crinoline and perhaps a brocade polonaise. Although recently I made just about the best find EVER going through my mother's old hippy clothes: She had a god-knows-how-old chinese brocade frock coat. No idea what period it's from, but the cut is absolutely gorgeous, and fits over my full Victorian skirts beautifully. My mother also agreed to allow me to inherit her heirloom Edwardian wedding gown (dating from pre-1900's, before my Great Grandfather was born). Holy crap do I love my mother right now.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #213
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

Anyway the Victorian items I am in dire need of right now are a suitable crinoline and perhaps a brocade polonaise. Although recently I made just about the best find EVER going through my mother's old hippy clothes: She had a god-knows-how-old chinese brocade frock coat. No idea what period it's from, but the cut is absolutely gorgeous, and fits over my full Victorian skirts beautifully. My mother also agreed to allow me to inherit her heirloom Edwardian wedding gown (dating from pre-1900's, before my Great Grandfather was born). Holy crap do I love my mother right now.
Sounds nifty. I don't know what either a crinoline or polonaise is, but they sound very Victorian. I'd love to have all that if, y'know, I wore skirts and such. Still, I like anything with a taste of antiquity. Congrats on what sounds like quite the lode of
old-timey things.

I also like King Edward VII, if for no other reason than that he ended Queen Victoria's taboo against smoking cigars in court.

"Gentlemen, you may smoke." -Edward VII, King Of England
Old 04-13-2006, 08:20 AM   #214
chloegoth

A crinoline is a rather fancy cagelike hoop thingy that goes under your skirt, making it stand out like Scarlett's skirts in Gone with the Wind.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...42677_1864.gif

Polonaise just is a dress style that is often referred to as a "soft bustle" and was popular in the Mid Victorian period (1860-1880). It replaced the crinoline. I think that now, when we talk about bustles, this is what we're talking about.

I sound like I knew all of this already but I cheated and looked it up. Ah, well. Now I know it.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #215
Morrigan_Dubh

If you can sew there's this website that I've been browsing for a while. It sells patterns for clothing from various eras including Victorian. I haven't bought anything from them so I can't say whether they are good or bad to deal with, but it's also a good reference to what kind of clothing belongs to which era.

http://www.longago.com/
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #216
A Simple Poet

I am a fan of Victorian fashions, but they are a bit hard to find in Florida. I actually use a lot of vests and long sleeve black or white shirts with black trousers. But that is when I am feeling overly anachronistic, and that look makes me feel too much like a pirate which is entirely over done these days. I am in search of an affordable Victorian Long Coat, but most in my areas are too expensive

Lately, with summer encroaching on my daylight world outdoors, I've reverted to black shirts, dark blue jeans, dark shoes and the caesar hair cut.

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #217
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloegoth

Polonaise just is a dress style that is often referred to as a "soft bustle" and was popular in the Mid Victorian period (1860-1880). It replaced the crinoline. I think that now, when we talk about bustles, this is what we're talking about.
Exactly. Only the polonaise I'm speak of simply refers to the type of bodice/jacket worn at the time. Beeeautiful. Especially considering I've never been quite so fond of the rigid bustle period. I love the bodices from that time, but when it comes to the bottom half of me I prefer the look of crinoline skirts.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #218
winged_dreams

I found a couple of cool ebay stores that have nifty clothes. I want to dress goth but I want to do it elegantly.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:30 AM   #219
Cicero

If you're on eBay and looking for elegant, check out the "gothic_revival" store. Some of my favourite eBay items came from there.

May I ask what are the names of the stores you've found are? I'm in the mood for some good old eBay bidding fun.

In other news, it seems Victorian and Edwardian styles are actually in fashion around Asia and Australia at the moment, and every shop around here seems to be stocking up on riding skirts and Edwardian blouses. This means a resounding "YAY!".
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM   #220
winged_dreams

This is one store.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Haunted-C...enameZL2QQtZkm

This person doesn't have a store but they have lovely items of clothing.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEBIQ3aMESOI

I think we should make an ebay thread sometime. And thanks for the recommendation.

Old 05-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #221
Hillary

my style

I have no idea, I love cyber fashion, ******, romanti-goth fashion, and death-rocker fashion. However, I don't really fit into a a clique myself. I just love clothing in general.
Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:31 PM   #222
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

Anyway the Victorian items I am in dire need of right now are a suitable crinoline and perhaps a brocade polonaise.
hun if you find somewhere that sells nice crinolines please let me know, I can't seem to find one anywhere
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #223
Niels

I look preppy and I LOVE it!

sue me!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:50 AM   #224
Minyaliel

I like my DIY- look It's rather hard to describe, though... I'm fond of retro/ old style clothing, but also punk, actually. As I usually make my own clothes, they're not really like anything you'd buy in a store or something. I admit being fond of corsets, lace, velvet, silks and psychedelic patterns - and I have this strange thing for weearing all black and white outfits a la "My Fair Lady"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #225
Darkfeeling

I wear what I want. When Im at home on the lazy weekends, I usually just wear my pajamas the whole day. No point in getting dressed if you dont plan on walking out the door.

When Im out in public, I wear long sleeve black shirts, and different movie and band shirts, with black pants.

When I want to dress nicely, I wear different kinds of victorian poet shirts.
Darkfeeling is offline   Reply With Quote