Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #6551
Versus

At least you won't go to jail for not going to work. XD
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #6552
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
On my campus there's a group of Occupier's who are having a big Occupy event on Friday, all day. All the signs say "forget your classes, they won't get you a job!" And the other day I had one of them stop me on the street and try to convince me to skip all my classes and attend, that I must "drop everything", protest my classes, protest my job, or else I'm a "bad" member of the working class.

Motherfucker, fuck you. You're not even working class, you're a 20-something white college student from suburbia whose mummy and daddy are probably paying most of your way. As for me, I have to pay for all my schooling myself, which consists of me going to work and getting good grades so I can keep my scholarship.

I certainly wish I could afford to just drop everything for a day so I can go play make believe that I'm some great Mother Jones type Union protestor from the early 1900's, but I can't. Fuck you.
Fuck those assholes! It's a fact that the more education someone has the better their job(and therefore pay) will be. The next time one of those morons tells you to ditch class tell them to stick THAT in their hipster-douchebag pipe and smoke it with their trust fund money! Dickheads! They may be fine with sucking at mommy & daddy's teats all their lives, but adults have a problem with that shit.

There are times when I'm glad that I currently go to a small community college.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #6553
Versus

You know, it's possible that they pay for their own education as well and just really believe in that cause enough to not make it a higher priority.

Just saying.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #6554
Grausamkeit

And the other day I had one of them stop me on the street and try to convince me to skip all my classes and attend, that I must "drop everything", protest my classes, protest my job, or else I'm a "bad" member of the working class.

^If they all do that, they're all douches. No one has any right to tell someone else what the 'right way' to live if that person is already working to better themselves.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6555
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You know, it's possible that they pay for their own education as well and just really believe in that cause enough to not make it a higher priority.

Just saying.
Not only what Graus said, but if that's the case, I really want to know what classes these guys are taking where they're able to skip more then two classes or so without being dropped a letter grade.

There's also the whole issue that this week is midterms, so that means out of all of them, there are several who are skipping taking midterms.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #6556
Versus

Okay, so they're douche bags, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
The next time one of those morons tells you to ditch class tell them to stick THAT in their hipster-douchebag pipe and smoke it with their trust fund money! Dickheads! They may be fine with sucking at mommy & daddy's teats all their lives, but adults have a problem with that shit.
I want to know where you two get that they are not adults choosing OWS over their education, and how that choice makes them privileged in any way.

I'm just a little unnerved. I can imagine myself in their shoes, and there is no way that any of you would know that I had previously spent two years of my life in a combat zone to earn my education, but still you'd say that I have been sucking on my parent's teet.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #6557
Grausamkeit

I was going off of what Doobz said about them being 20-something white suburbanites with their parents paying for their shit.

I know that's the case with a lot of the kids in the classes I've talked to. The older people like me(30s) and over are normally paying their own way or have to keep their GPA up to maintain their grant eligibility like me & Doobz.

There is one guy in my Math class who is in the military(or was) and going through school after getting wounded.

This is about some douchebag trying to guilt someone into possibly losing their grant money for school and their job when they don't have the freedom to do that, financially.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #6558
Versus

Disclaimer: I'm not stroking the eagle as patriotic leverage. I understand that this is the rant thread.

I know. I just think that y'all are making a lot of generalizations, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't know that. It's an assumption, but it seems more likely then him personally knowing them because they probably would have been friends of his.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #6559
Grausamkeit

I'm only making a generalization because in general that's the situation in my classes. Not everyone in their 20s who is going to school is an asshole sponging off their parents. I don't mean to make it sound like that.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #6560
Versus

I know. I have a similar situation in that I work with a lot of teenagers who just got out of high school and have never worked a day in their lives, so it's hard to resist the urge to assume that someone with less time in service is also less mature or doesn't have a work ethic instilled in them.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #6561
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not stroking the eagle as patriotic leverage. I understand that this is the rant thread.

I know. I just think that y'all are making a lot of generalizations, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't know that. It's an assumption, but it seems more likely then him personally knowing them because they probably would have been friends of his.
#1) Yes I'm making a generalization and I understand that. I'm just really frustrated.

#2) The Occupy group on my campus is very large, very white, and generally very young. Fresh out of high school young. Since this demographic is generally paid for by their parents, I find it very easy to make this generalization. This is probably more a bad thing for myself then it is a defense of my generalizations.

Even past the generalization, I'm pissed because these guys are telling me I'm a "bad" member of the working class just because I'm trying to go through life the best way I know how. I'm busting my ass trying to A) get good grades, and B ) make ends meet, and now I have some smug peer wearing a Che Guevara (I shit you not) T-shirt telling me that sitting in the middle of campus all day, pretending I'm actually at the Wall Street protests, is more important then knowledge and feeding myself. And yes, I say knowledge, and I mean it. I actually value the things I learn at this university. It's part of why I'm studying to become a teacher. (but my rant about how education has been mutated into something ugly by our materialist culture is for another time).

Mostly, my generalization comes from the general smug tone this guy had, the way he told me I didn't need to work just smacked of someone who has never actually had to pay for anything himself. Which I admit is based around a lot of my own experiences. I've worked service jobs all over the place, but all of my worst customer interactions are when I've worked on campus. I've met far too many over privileged, malicious little shits to not be just a bit bitter.

Most college students my age that I've met are having their college paid, at least partly, by their parents. Hell, a good chunk of them have barely worked a single day of their lives. This experience colors my opinions of most college students I meet, and this is wrong. When they talk about how their parents are cutting them off for the month because they've already spent $500 (after said parents paid for their rent out of their own pocket), I get mad, frustrated, and pretty jealous.

Maybe I'm carrying a grudge. Maybe I'm taking this all too personally. I know my dad has had grudges and peeves that he's carried for decades and just refuses to let go, no matter how insignificant it was in the grand scheme of his life. I'm like my dad in a lot of ways, attitude-wise, so it's probably not beyond probability that I picked up this kind of behavior. I haven't really been seeing my therapist long enough to work all of this out.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #6562
wolf moon

Quote:
The Occupy group on my campus is very large, very white, and generally very young. Fresh out of high school young. Since this demographic is generally paid for by their parents, I find it very easy to make this generalization. This is probably more a bad thing for myself then it is a defense of my generalizations.
I've been making my own way through school since I was "fresh out of high school young". While I don't technically pay tuition (scholarship), my living expenses have been my responsibility since I was about 17 and still in high school. When I got my license, my parents decided it was all up to me to make my way, just like they had. They did this despite the rather significant amount of money they have (or because of it really... they earned it themselves, and wanted me to do the same). But the end result is this: I'm young and blonde and was raised to carry myself in a way that generally leads people to assume I'm well off and financially supported by my parents. It's pretty darn frustrating on this side, too.

That said, I have several friends whose parents do help them out to some extent, or even totally support them. When one of them asks me to do something I can't afford or miss time from work, I don't generally get upset or assume they're terrible people. I just tell them I can't make it and continue on about my day. It's less time consuming than it would be to rant about how my dad doesn't even buy me birthday presents, much less pay my rent. There's no reason to expect them to know my financial status, nor to hold it against them when they don't.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #6563
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I've been making my own way through school since I was "fresh out of high school young". While I don't technically pay tuition (scholarship), my living expenses have been my responsibility since I was about 17 and still in high school.
I'm in the same exact situation, gurl. Only my mom is a butcher, so she can't afford to put me through school.
Quote:
When one of them asks me to do something I can't afford or miss time from work, I don't generally get upset or assume they're terrible people.
Neither do I. I'm only saying it can get pretty frustrating.

There are times when I'm in a restaurant with them, and my friends have done things that I know from experience needlessly inconvenience the staff. Examples? Mashing all their food and napkins and stuff into their dinner glasses. This one time we were all super-high and went to Wendy's ten minutes before closing, and my one friend insisted on sitting down and eating inside, right over where one of the night guys had just mopped the floor. I insisted we all leave, so that we didn't keep the night guys up, he sat there and threw a fit and said "IT'S THEIR JOB TO DO THESE THINGS! THEY CAN JUST DEAL WITH IT!" Situations like that bother me, because I know if I was a worker I would be thinking to myself "... asshole", and I know they don't know any better, but it's still rather embarrassing and frustrating to me. I really don't want to be that guy with those friends, because I know what it's like to have to take care of that guy and his friends.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #6564
wolf moon

Quote:
There are times when I'm in a restaurant with them, and my friends have done things that I know from experience needlessly inconvenience the staff. Examples? Mashing all their food and napkins and stuff into their dinner glasses. This one time we were all super-high and went to Wendy's ten minutes before closing, and my one friend insisted on sitting down and eating inside, right over where one of the night guys had just mopped the floor. I insisted we all leave, so that we didn't keep the night guys up, he sat there and threw a fit and said "IT'S THEIR JOB TO DO THESE THINGS! THEY CAN JUST DEAL WITH IT!" Situations like that bother me, because I know if I was a worker I would be thinking to myself "... asshole", and I know they don't know any better, but it's still rather embarrassing and frustrating to me. I really don't want to be that guy with those friends, because I know what it's like to have to take care of that guy and his friends.
I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, while floating on a cloud atop a sparkling unicorn with a rainbow mane nuzzling kittens: If you hang out with people who get so drunk or high they act like spoilt children, you can't really complain about having to deal with people who act like spoilt children. You kinda bring it on yourself.

That aside, did you explain to your friend that you were concerned about the personal time of the people working there, didn't want to interfere with their cleanup, and suggest another place you could go eat?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #6565
Saya

Yeah, you deserve better company than that. I get the being frustrated with college people in general though, I avoid first year courses like the plague, even though they're generally easy elective credits, because I can't stand being in a class with a bunch of people fresh out of high school. I left school after my first year and only went back full time last year, and it just hurts me that I'm there to learn and better my life and the little fuckers are texting and whispering to each other (which drives me nuts, I have a hearing problem and any background noise makes it harder for me) and playing video games on their laptops.

ANYWAY, are they serious camping out on CAMPUS? Shit, even Occupy Newfoundland is at least hitting the harbour area, and there's only a few of us.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #6566
Miss Absynthe

I knit. I also knit while angry.

My favourite angry knitting tends to get done in the supermarket when I make the mistake of accompanying my partner while she is doing the grocery shopping - she insists on reading EVERY freaking label on every freaking product. I stand at the end of the aisle with a ball of wool in my pocket and knit while I scowl at her.

Last time someone from the supermarket actually asked me if I was ok. I must've looked really pissed. :|
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #6567
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post

My favourite angry knitting tends to get done in the supermarket when I make the mistake of accompanying my partner while she is doing the grocery shopping - she insists on reading EVERY freaking label on every freaking product. I stand at the end of the aisle with a ball of wool in my pocket and knit while I scowl at her.

Last time someone from the supermarket actually asked me if I was ok. I must've looked really pissed. :|
If you buy me round trip tickets there, I can make your next shopping experience a quick and efficient one. I have a tendency to inadvertently help people remember what they want and need, and by the time they realize what they've gotten, they've already got half their stuff past the cashier. I should warn you this also results in a larger (but more efficient) amount of items purchased.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #6568
Saya

Heh, I knit angrily too. I take my knitting to the crisis centre meetings, especially on movie nights because we tend to stick around for a bit and rant.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 PM   #6569
Versus

Quote:
Because I'm a troll.

https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=24244

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #6570
carakitty

I don't get it. How the fuck does my husband expect me to go out and get a job to help pay for my school loans when I can't keep up with all the shit i have to get done around here? Keeping this house presentable and functioning is a full time job in itself. Add in going back to classes (again) in March, and I might be able to work an outside job one or two shifts each week. I'm wondering if it will even be worth it once the cost of child care, gas money, and eventually taxes are figured in. We probably won't even see a dime of what I make. I just hope to God I can prevent my graduation from being delayed even more than what it already have been because I fear we will have our loans cut off because it's taking me so fucking long to get through this program!

I am also pissed off because it looks like there is an interesting conversation going on above but I shouldn't go back and read it because there's too much shit to do here which involves mostly cleaning and that means turning off the computer so I will actually get off my ass and get the stuff done!

*hisses and leaves with tail thrashing madly*
Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #6571
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carakitty View Post
I don't get it. How the fuck does my husband expect me to go out and get a job to help pay for my school loans when I can't keep up with all the shit i have to get done around here? Keeping this house presentable and functioning is a full time job in itself. Add in going back to classes (again) in March, and I might be able to work an outside job one or two shifts each week. I'm wondering if it will even be worth it once the cost of child care, gas money, and eventually taxes are figured in. We probably won't even see a dime of what I make. I just hope to God I can prevent my graduation from being delayed even more than what it already have been because I fear we will have our loans cut off because it's taking me so fucking long to get through this program!
Make the house less of a priority, maybe. I think it's reasonable for your husband to want support paying for your school with his money. Just my two cents.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #6572
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I'm saying this in the nicest way possible, while floating on a cloud atop a sparkling unicorn with a rainbow mane nuzzling kittens: If you hang out with people who get so drunk or high they act like spoilt children, you can't really complain about having to deal with people who act like spoilt children. You kinda bring it on yourself.

That aside, did you explain to your friend that you were concerned about the personal time of the people working there, didn't want to interfere with their cleanup, and suggest another place you could go eat?
1) Yes, I explained it to him. That was when he threw his tantrum.

2) The rest of my friends aren't bad. That was probably the worst example I can think of, and that guy is noted in my friend group as being incredibly immature and prone to tantrums (even when not intoxicated), most of the other behaviors I correct in my friends are stuff I see people of all ages doing, more because they're just not aware that it cramps the stride of the people working (stuff like putting all your shit in the glass, which my grandmother actually thought made things more efficient for the dish washers), and when I bring it up to them, they stop. In the Wendy's example, all my other friends were in favor of leaving to for the same reason I wanted to, and we all practically had to push/carry the other guy to get him out (I know I probably wouldn't have been able to get him out otherwise).

Just thought I'd clarify, considering I feel I made my friends all look like horrible assholes, when they're really not. Hi CallMeDeth.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #6573
MissCheyenne

Mum's hair is nearly all gone now. I've started covering her head with a scarf, partly to make her feel a bit nicer and partly because people are starting to find it too distressing seeing her so frail and ill. She can't even stand up now, even with two people supporting her. She's so confused all the time, she doesn't know what day it is or anything now

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #6574
Grausamkeit

*HUGZ MissC tight*

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #6575
wolf moon

Quote:

I knit, but I've never really associated it with a particular emotion. Now I want to try Rage Knitting.

But I can sympathize with your partner - I totally used to be that label-reading person. The only reason I'm not still that person is that I no longer buy packaged food, so there isn't a label to read.