Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
deathsdj

Just wandered in...

Well met.

I randomly came across this site while searching for goth sites to read and thought I might give it a try. I'm determined to expand my horizons with the dawn of the new year and hopefully find some like minded people to correspond with and become friends.

My name is Michael but online I generally go by deathsdj. To start with I'll answer those questions I found in the sticky at the top of this thread.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) - For the last 24 years I have been a club DJ. I play music for dancers and make announcements over the mic in a loud and busy club. It is not a bad living but probably not as cool as it sounds either. I have come to realize that I don't tend to meet the kind of people I would like to in my line of work so I am reaching out a bit. For fun I care for my daughter who is 4 (single dad), I play electric bass guitar and write songs and music, I enjoy gaming (1st edition AD&D in particular), and I love to read and watch movies.

2. Where are you from? - Wichita, KS. A place I find rather boring but that might be because I work too much. No real Goth scene that I have uncovered and a pretty poor live music scene as well. Other than that it is a fine place to live.

3. Who is your favorite author? - Too many to get into. Right now I'm on a mission to read everything Jack Vance has ever written. I love the way he so easily creates believable alien worlds and his stellar use of language. I am heavily into reading and talking about authors and books is a joy to me.

4. What are your favorite films? - Another topic that could lead to paragraphs upon paragraphs. An ever changing list that fluctuates with my mood. I do love watching movies when I can carve out the time.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? - Egads! I love music but I'm not very interested in weddings, at least not for me. This is a question I would have to discuss with whomever was my intended.

6. At your funeral? - No concern to me as I won't be there, only the empty husk that once housed me. I'll be content to let my daughter handle any arrangements.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? - Preferably peacefully in my sleep at a ripe old age. If that is too boring I suppose saving the lives of loved ones would be pretty epic.

8. What kind of casket would you want? - Probably a rental since I intend to be cremated but for the ceremony I would like a large black casket reminiscent of a 1967 Cadillac. For an urn I am thinking of something cube like, made of shining bronze with strange black runes that nobody understands.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? - I don't really have a favorite outfit. I like to dress very nice in a style the shows my goth and punk sides without being too overly shocking. I also like to look like I have just been to a good metal show.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? - A complete lack of responsibility. Playing AD&D every waking moment I could get away with. The absolute splendor of having my whole life ahead of me without the knowledge of how screwed up things can become.

11. What's your favorite band? - Again this topic can get rather involved with me. I have favorites across multiple decades and genera. To name a few would leave out too many so I'll let that stuff come out in my various posts on this board.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? - I came from a very poor family so while I graduated high school on time with decent grades I was not offered a free ride to college. I did manage an associates degree in computer programming that I don't use and is way out of date anyway. If I was independently wealthy I would like to go to WSU but I really don't see it happening.

13. Why did you join? - I would like to meet some like minded people outside of the people I meet in my career as a club DJ. People who regard intelligence as a good thing and are not a slave to alcohol and drugs. Creative people who are comfortable being themselves and with letting me be myself. I recently escaped a bad situation and find myself free to be who I am once again and I'm looking to make some new friends.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? - Male

Well there you go. I'm probably what most would refer to as an elder goth. I put a picture on my profile that is from Halloween 2013 so you can be the judge.

Nice to meet everybody and I hope this place turns out to be as cool as it seems on first impression. Feel free to contact me about whatever, I'm easygoing and I like people and I'm willing to chat.

Take care!
deathsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
Ilefidoz

Nice to meet you deathsdj. My name is David, but I would prefer going by Ilefidoz online. I enjoyed reading your post.

One thing you wrote that stands out a lot in my memory is in regards to how you would want to die. I too would like to die peacefully in my sleep at an old age. The second way you mentioned seems like a good way to go too by defending people who are loved ones.

I should have mentioned I am new to the forums as well. Unlike you, I have not been a Goth for a long time, but I feel at home in the lifestyle.

I am very curious about one thing you wrote about. Is AD&D a type of Dungeons and Dragons table top game? I developed a love for video game rpg's growing up, and I was curious if you were talking about the table top Dungeons and Dragons. I have never played the table top Dungeons and Dragons before mainly because my parents wouldn't allow me to growing up, and now that I am an adult I don't know two other people who would be willing to play it who live near me.

I have never been to Kansas before, but I imagine it is a place with pretty landscape.

It was enjoyable to read what you wrote, and I hope you are having a good day.

Ilefidoz
Ilefidoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #3
deathsdj

Nice to meet you Ilefidoz.

Yes the AD&D I referred to is the old table top version. I first played in 1976 when I was nine and have been hooked ever since. I only get to play a few times a year these days as available time and players are scarce. I still play the original AD&D that was popular in the 80's. It is a great outlet for creativity and also improved my grades quite a bit by getting me to read and do the math the game sometimes requires. I have a pretty large collection.

Thanks for reading my introduction and the post Ilefidoz. I appreciate it.

Take care!
deathsdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Ilefidoz

You are welcome deathsdj. And thanks for telling me what AD&D was and for responding to my post.

I can see how Dungeons and Dragons as a table top game would benefit a person, because of the things you mentioned.

That is neat that you still play the 80's AD&D.

Ilefidoz
Ilefidoz is offline   Reply With Quote