Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
brilliantstorm38

Hello, friends! New here

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I play the cello, draw, paint, do audio, take photos, theatre... Lots! I'm also in school for Psychology.
2. Where are you from?
Kansas City
3. Who is your favorite author?
Bulgakov
4. What are your favorite films?
Legend of 1900
5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Devin Townsend
6. At your funeral?
Bach and earlier.
7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Something supernatural!
8. What kind of casket would you want?
Burn me.
9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Gothboots, cloak.
10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
No school!
11. What's your favorite band?
Devin Townsend Project
12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
In my undergrad for psychology. Will be getting my doctorate...
13. Why did you join?
To meet similar people.
14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female
brilliantstorm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
Solumina

What's your flavor of psych, clinical or research?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
brilliantstorm38

Research. Definitely.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Solumina

Oh, I guess I completely forgot to say it in my previous post but welcome to the boards. I'm also a psych major, started out wanting to do research (...actually started off in a whole different field but that's beside the point) and now that I've done 4 years of undergrad I plan to get my masters in counseling, funny how things work out.

Anyways is there anything in particular that you really want to research?
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
brilliantstorm38

Oh cool! Well nice to meet you. I am very interested in abuse and extremes. What drives and motivates people in general. I am aware that's overdone, though. So we'll see where it goes. I'm pretty well open to anything. Any particular type of counseling psych? Good luck with the Masters! I'm awfully nervous about mine. But I'm only in my second year of undergrad at this point.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Alan

Psych major, quick question. Is there any worth to Guattari today?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Solumina

What exactly do you mean by worth? I would say that even Freud's work has worth as we can learn from the mistakes he made and Guattari's work even helps to address Freud's shortcomings.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
brilliantstorm38

I'd agree with that. Merit is not really in question, yes?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Solumina

Silly me I responded to Alan's question but not you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantstorm38 View Post
I am very interested in abuse and extremes. What drives and motivates people in general. I am aware that's overdone, though. So we'll see where it goes. I'm pretty well open to anything.
I don't think it is overdone, yes a lot of work is done on it but there is still a lot more that isn't understood and really needs to be especially when it comes to abuse and even more so when it comes to men being the victims (I hate to say it but even a lot of the people who make understanding and preventing abuse their life's work ignore men as abuse victims). Have you considered volunteering for or working with an abuse prevention group? It is incredibly rewarding and gives you a lot of insight that you just cannot get in a classroom or even through your own experiences and that of your friends. All of the ones that I have worked with are really appreciative for any volunteers they can get, even if it is just one hour in a month they are happy for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantstorm38 View Post
Any particular type of counseling psych? Good luck with the Masters! I'm awfully nervous about mine. But I'm only in my second year of undergrad at this point.
I want to become a guidance counselor, depending on where I end up (hubby is in the navy so we could get stationed somewhere unexpected) I may also need a degree in education, which would be a major bummer cuz that is a lot more work, but other places don't, actually some just require an undergrad degree but there aren't too many of those and I kind of want the masters anyway. I have yet to even apply to grad school, right now I'm just kind of biding my time until I can use Jake's G.I. bill as there is a time in requirement before spouses can use that money. I have decided that I'll be doing it online so that there is no way his being in the navy could mess with my education because I know that if I got half way through a program and we have to move then I would take a whole bunch of time to nest in our new location before I even start looking into transferring to a new university.

I remember being a second year student, it really wasn't that long ago but god it feels like a whole other lifetime. It was during my 4th semester at CNU when I actually committed to psych and I was a bit worried about the fact that anything in the field required grad work, staying with communications (or social work, or sociology...yeah I may have been a bit indecisive) I would have been so much easier but eh I didn't love it and I do love psychology.
-Carbon Leaf