Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #51
Saya

Fair enough, and takes the pressure off of meticulously pouring over the work before submission.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #52
Apathy's_Child

Whether it's the mention of bringing such bands as HMR and Ween to the fore or the list of influences, I would totally read something like what you're proposing.

Also, yeah, Saya - slash. Explain at great length and with that trademark feminist fervour. The Little Red Riding Hood piece sounds cool, but nothing says deconstructing heterocentrism like straight women getting their kicks reading about cocks plowing into asses.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 AM   #53
Saya

Thing is, the Bitch Magazine article was pretty good.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #54
MissCheyenne

Yo Cuckoo, can you PM yet? My mate got back to me with some basic stuff, really basic but I don't wanna post it all on here as it'd mess up the thread with info not everyone needs. He says he will go into more depth if you can point out what areas you'd specifically like to know more about

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #55
CuckooTuli

I can't find an option anywhere, so I guess not. However my email is my username with a dot between words, at that portal of online evil that is Gmail, if you wouldn't mind responding there?
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #56
CuckooTuli

Bumped for reminder - MC, would you mind letting me know your friend's advice? I wouldn't worry about posting here if my email isn't working for you, thread's died anyway. I just wouldn't want Saya to stop dreaming about wolves & ****/seduction metaphors.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #57
Saya

Red Riding Hood got 12% on Rotten Tomatoes. :3 What a bitchfest it will be.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #58
MissCheyenne

I'll find it out and condense it when I have the time Cuckoo, sorry, I've just had other stuff to worry about but I will do it. Just be patient with me, My heads all over the place at the minute.

I am your slice of pie
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #59
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I'll find it out and condense it when I have the time Cuckoo, sorry, I've just had other stuff to worry about but I will do it. Just be patient with me, My heads all over the place at the minute.
No hurry whatsoever. I don't mean to rush you - no action will be taken for some time anyway, and I also know now that you've got other, inherently more important stuff to worry about. Just checking you hadn't forgotten me - I know how easily shit slips MY mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Red Riding Hood got 12% on Rotten Tomatoes. :3 What a bitchfest it will be.
... Saw that coming. Seriously, I've seen like ONE good fairy tale film adaptation ever. Most of them really do suck, sadly. I wonder why it's so hard to get that right when the tales are simple and there's so much powerful imagery to do fantastic visual schizzle with.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #60
MissCheyenne

I haven't forgotten, I'm just all over the place and basically any free time I have, I'm using to try and chill as best I can. I haven't forgotten though and I will do it. Just give a gentle prod every now and again to remind me though

I am your slice of pie
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #61
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
... Saw that coming. Seriously, I've seen like ONE good fairy tale film adaptation ever. Most of them really do suck, sadly. I wonder why it's so hard to get that right when the tales are simple and there's so much powerful imagery to do fantastic visual schizzle with.
Movie tickets are six dollars on Tuesdays, but I got a ton of work to do this week, so I'll go next Tuesday.

I haven't seen a feminist critique of it yet, but some anti-feminist website says it hates the menz, oh noes!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #62
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I haven't forgotten, I'm just all over the place and basically any free time I have, I'm using to try and chill as best I can. I haven't forgotten though and I will do it. Just give a gentle prod every now and again to remind me though
Thank MC, I will. And in return, feel free to stick a jackbooted foot up my ass if you're busy when I ask.

Saya - menz? MENZ? Do not worry about the menz. They will be assimilated.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #63
Saya

They're being drafted for the Big Solution:
Stand Erect, Be Proud,
You’re part of the Cunt Revolution!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #64
Saya

HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE I JUST HAD AN EPIPHANY ABOUT SLASH FICTION.

I'm just typing here to remind myself, I need to go collapse from exhaustion and I'm afraid I'll forget I had an epiphany.

So, yeah, back to slash, no red riding hood.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:36 PM   #65
CuckooTuli

Awesome - gonna spill?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #66
Apathy's_Child

Ya Saya, spill. Come on - you know I've been wanting this a long time. Don't be the chick who cried slash.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #67
Saya

I still got actual papers to write so I still have to flesh it out, but last week in one of my religion classes we had a guest speaker talking about the Promise Keepers and other religious groups who's goal was to create a male only space and reinforce masculinity. Like go on retreats and cry together and shit.

Anyway, he outlined that they followed the narrative of a male romance. They're chivalrous, they go on this journey together, they get vulnerable and intimate together (emotionally), there's a lot of bonding going on, they face dangers together, and at the end of the day they're fit to rescue ze womenz and their heterosexuality is reinforced.

He then showed how media follows this narrative, and I realized, holy shit, slash writers are not just reading the romance in, the male romance narrative is pretty damn common. Frodo and Sam! Dean and Castiel! Kirk and Spock! Men going through hell together, bonding,and their heterosexuality and relationships with women are poorly developed and seemed to be just there to reinforce that they are MEN and totally NOT gay. Slash writers simply remove that clumsy heteronormativity.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #68
CuckooTuli

Sorry Saya, I'm so inept, I actually missed this - lots of uni work keeping me occupied. That sounds interesting though. Were you planning on looking at some theory on the archetype of the epic hero, the heroic quest and how these feed into the kind of later narratives you're talking about? I think that may be a good idea if you're interested. The Odyssey got pretty homoerotic, and The Epic of Gilgamesh is literally ALL the bromance. I can see the link with Supernatural as well (man, those guys sure do love their slash - some of the things I've stumbled on plain freak me out). Great angle, though - sounds like you're definitely onto something with it. Now that you mention it, I can think of other examples, although it's not something I've ever seen explored. This is gonna be cool.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #69
Apathy's_Child

So I just watched Dr. Strangelove while extremely high, and I've decided that the link between technology and the impossibility of classical heroism in the face of its power forms the primary thrust of the comedy, over and above technological and COld War-related concerns in and of themselves. In this way, I think the movie continues to run with those Hemingway-esque concerns that marked masculinity after WWI & II (especially in Lost Generation writing), when developments like the tank & machine gun pretty much put paid to dick-waving in combat and the potential for acts of individual heroism.

When classical heroism becomes impossible, so too does classical tragedy, and the only appropriate artistic responses are satire, parody and farce. It's like Kesey said in Cuckoo's Next, how there are some things to goofy-crazy to cry at but too terrifying to laugh at.

In Strangelove, the satirical comedy arises from the fact that the real tragedy of these guys is their inability to BE tragic: they're reduced to Camus-ian absurdity (like when the commander promises the US counter-attack teams medals and honor after the act in a moving speech, when... uhhh... civilisation'll kind of be dust). Declarations like the outraged, "Gentleman, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" aren't just hilarious - they delineate how techonology has drastically altered archaic masculine methods of conflict resolution, replacing physicality with immense technological power. Ripper's obsession with fluids is an indirect expression of his anxiety regarding masculinity, power and agency in a hostile and mechanized society.

You want it?

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #70
CuckooTuli

I like where it's going - but the problem with it as I see it would be the opposite of what I suggested to Saya - i.e. could be a little too academically for a magazine, depending on how it's approached. I'm not saying make it fluff, and I think the idea is great (I can think of other examples already if you want a sounding board), but I wouldn't want it to presume so much knowledge of the film that only obsessives would read it. How would you feel about combining the more academic analysis with an overview of production etc? So that someone who hasn't seen the film would read & think, "I've got to watch that".

I could see this becoming a regular look at classic sci-fi, which I'd love. I'm thinking similar format to what I'm considering for the music - a combination of the epically classic and the criminally neglected. I could actually see Saya's going a smiliar way, but with a gender issues slant.

So, sorryfor blathering - to summarise: I think that'd work, with the format of cultural context - production overview with insider anecdotes - analysis.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #71
Apathy's_Child

I could do that easily right now. I'm pretty obsessive about the things I like and tend to learn their background (I can tell you, for instance, that Bill Hicks once got so fucked up he tried to drink the cat of a lawyer who'd offered him sanctuary from an angry mob in his home after a show in Louisiana. Yeah, yu heard that right.... he tried to DRINK THE CAT). And I kind of get what you mean about not wanting it to be so heavy nobody who isn't a film student would bother.

By the way, the classic sci-fi idea? Loving it.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #72
CuckooTuli

I'm practically done for the summer now in terms of school work and so will probably start thinking about this soon. Saya and Apathy, could you let me know how your own commitments stand over the next couple of months, and when you think you may have a draft ready? Absolutely no rush as there's going to be loads to think about - just looking for a ballpark estimate on when you'll be free to make a start.

Also, MissCheyenne, do you still fancy doing some music-based stuff? I know you're looking at a busy near future with other commitments (hope that's all going okay btw), so not a problem if you either don't have time, or can't really say at the moment.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #73
Saya

I can make a start soon, I'm on break until May 9th. After that the rest of the month might be a bit crazy, though.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #74
terricaryan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
God, no. Nothing tacky or otherwise abhorrent. Imma keep shit classy.
Thank fuck for that. I don't think I'd be able to look at myself in the mirror if I had to write some toss about vampires or whatever.
terricaryan1 is offline   Reply With Quote