Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
OnixxFilth

Dressing Too Young?

I've been doing some self-evaluation lately, and wonder if I'm dressing too young for my age. Just for those who don't know, I'm 21. I like to wear a lot of jeans and silly t-shirts like Ruby Gloom and that. It seems like most of the other girls at my school have a more sophisticated look going on, like khakis and button-down shirts. My boyfriend once asked me,"What are you- thirteen?" Should I "grow up" and dress nicer?
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
ExistentialDisorder

Well, since 30 is the new 20, (according to some crap i saw on vh1 the other day), i don't see anything wrong with it. 21 isn't that old. you're still wet behind the ears, so to speak. ;-) maybe just update the material that's on the t-shirts. make it more provocative. :-D

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:32 AM   #3
OnixxFilth

Huh, that sounds like a good idea!
OnixxFilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
nonfatsuperjesus

I believe that you are as young as you think you are. Dress however you want. Just be tasteful.
nonfatsuperjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Tall One In Black

Hmmmm...
I wear silly t-shirts
With short floofy skirts
Striped tights
Big stompy boots
My hair in ponytails

And I'm 30.

I don't give one half a damn what everyone else my age (or any other age) is wearing. I wear what I like.

I personally don't think of khakis and button-down shirts as sophisticated. I think of them as BORING. I think I would become physically ill if I had to wear them.

Lastly, no offense to your boyfriend, but I pity the guy who ever criticized me like that. I'd probably dump his ass. :P

If you're wearing clothes that make you feel good, keep wearing them. If you feel pressured to fit in, well... I feel sorry for you.

conformity bites
Old 10-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Nardol

I do what I want.

I highly reccomend it. If people don't like you how you are, they don't like you. Deal with it. It's not that bad really. Think about things this way: most people are cattle, most people won't like you if you aren't cattle also. Do you WANT to be a herded used creature?
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
The Minister Saint-Fond

Also, if you're overweight, khakis make you look like a giant potato.

Don't be that guy.

And...

Quote:
Do you WANT to be a herded used creature?
Is that a trick question?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #8
The Minister Saint-Fond

Wouldn't you like to know?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:48 PM   #9
rockandrose

Wear what you want.
Have your own fashion individuality.

Your boyfriend has no right to tell you what you should and shouldn't wear.
Unless, you like to abide by him.

Wear your own clothes or wear others' clothes...
Old 10-25-2005, 03:34 PM   #10
Wraithlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
I've been doing some self-evaluation lately, and wonder if I'm dressing too young for my age. Just for those who don't know, I'm 21. I like to wear a lot of jeans and silly t-shirts like Ruby Gloom and that. It seems like most of the other girls at my school have a more sophisticated look going on, like khakis and button-down shirts. My boyfriend once asked me,"What are you- thirteen?" Should I "grow up" and dress nicer?
1/ Jeans and various t-shirts are what I wear when I'm not in work, and I'm pushing forty. If you think the t-shirts are a bit 'silly' try less 'branded' t-shirts try 'Alchemy' or Offworld designs - though, again, nothing gets between me and my 'little goth girl' t-shirt.

2/ As previously stated, button-down shirts and khakis aren't 'sophisticated'. You want to dress a bit older? Try tailored trousers and silk blouses, or chinese tops and straight skirts - whatever suits you. But don't assume you have to dress like the other girls. It may suit them, it may not suit you.

3/ Giving your bf the benefit of the doubt, maybe what he wants is a more 'dressed-up' gf occasionally. Speak to him - maybe get him to help you pick out less casual clothes. For ideas, look in Cosmo or other upmarket women's mags - your local library should have copies if you don't want to shell out the Ł2-3 (about $5?) for them, and you can always photocopy anything interesting. I got a few ideas from them myself - admittedly, it was for a high-elf LARP character, but then I am fairly wierd. Even by Goth standards.
Wraithlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:42 PM   #11
edible_eye

onnixx -

is this the same guy who said he wouldn't have sex with you or something along that line if you cut your hair a while back?

i say - time to dump the bum.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
OnixxFilth

Oh god, I can't remember if he said he wouldn't have sex with me, but I came to realize that short hair actually makes my face look fat, so it was to my own benefit to grow it out. And to me, the whole button-down/khaki thing is for when I'm on the job as a cub reporter for the school newspaper. I've decided I'm gonna take his requests and do them or not do them as I please. I have a right to dress the way I want to and I'm gonna do it!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
MrMaelstrom

It's not a matter of looking sophisticated/trendy/harlot.

Even now, a lot of women my age (33) don't have a clue as to how to look FEMININE...

Feminine, people. Not anything else, just feminine...

It doesn't have to be an everyday thing, but once in a while, pleeeease....
Old 10-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
Tall One In Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
It's not a matter of looking sophisticated/trendy/harlot.

Even now, a lot of women my age (33) don't have a clue as to how to look FEMININE...

Feminine, people. Not anything else, just feminine...

It doesn't have to be an everyday thing, but once in a while, pleeeease....

I'm curious what you mean by looking "feminine." Can you expound and/or give examples?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:36 AM   #15
OnixxFilth

Well, feminine is the opposite of masculine. But then, aren't man-like clothing items supposed to be in for women this season? Maybe I'm reading too much Glamour/Cosmopolitan.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:22 AM   #16
Disfunction

I find that I dress much too young. For instance, I'm not wearing any clothes right now.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #17
OnixxFilth

Umm, that's not dressing too young. For one thing, you're not even dressed! Secondly, you don't have to be young to be naked.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:35 AM   #18
Disfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnixxFilth
Umm, that's not dressing too young. For one thing, you're not even dressed! Secondly, you don't have to be young to be naked.
When you are first introduced to the world, what are you wearing? Nothing; exactly. Well, unless you want to get into the context of the bithday suit, in which case, I'm dressed completely in birthday suit attire.

...don't smother your kids."
Disfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 AM   #19
OnixxFilth

Huh, I guess you do have a point there. *bows humbly*
Old 10-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #20
Reject_Bunnies

You can't beat wearing black...heck,you never have to worry about your clothes matching in the morning for one.
Reject_Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #21
Blackhearted

Haha dressing young...I wear quite a bit of Gothic ****** stuff!
Blackhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #22
OnixxFilth

Yes, but black DOES tend to get covered in pet hair very easily- like the time when Kevin and I were going with his parents out to eat at some fancy place. I was wearing a black skirt and sat down on their couch without thinking, and their white longhaired cat sits there often as does their chocolate lab! Oops! He had to quick run for the lint brush!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:44 PM   #23
angleangel_doom

No. Don't. If you like it that should be enough for you to not change drastically or anything.
angleangel_doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #24
hellschild

.....Wow....I am a fucking loser by the way who doesnt write in these forums.. I just read them and have for years.. Mwahaha to the evil ones.. And, dont dress like he wants you to.. If I were you I would ass fuck him with a knife
hellschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #25
tenet_2012

OK....

Wow that was unexpected.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote