Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
4mytribe

Dont like the average age? Kill yourself

I was reading a debate about Japans ageing population in which someone said that Japan basically needed immigrants because their population is getting older and who will pay for their pensions etc. I've heard this argument many times before and it sounds pretty good untill I heard this:

The bottom line is that in an affluent society (low risk of premature death) with stable population (hopefully, about optimum level), the average age is about half of the average life expectancy. (In other words, if life expectancy in the U.S. is 76 and the idiotic population growht stops then the average age is about 38.) So the longer we live the older our society becomes. If you don’t like it then why don’t you die young?

Of course in truth only people that are older than the mean will help the average by killing themselves but most people that in Japan that want more immigration are elite politicians and rich people and they are over the average so still sounds like a good argument to me. The flip side to this is to say then that a population with the lowest average age is good then you would be looking at Kenya or something where the average is in the 20's or lower because of so much death and obviously no one would suggest that is preferable.

To me that pretty much settles this argument.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
angel_dark_demon_bright

Ok and how would this solve their problems? A bunch of old people kill themselves and all you have is a bunch of dead old people. It wont help solve anything. And where did you get this information? Any statistics?

Well this was a pointless thread...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
4mytribe

Obviously nobody is going to kill themselves to change a statistic. The point is that the argument that an ageing population is a bad thing is a false one. An ageing population is a sign that people are living longer.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Empty_Purple_Stars

And this is in Politics because?????
Old 05-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
DarkIce

You´ve been faster, EPS, shit.

This thread sucks.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
WolfMoon

This thread has no purpose in life and has decided to kill itself.
Closed Thread