Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
stolide

Christian Emo Nerds...

I just got a magazine like thing from a christian college. On the Cover was a very nerdy looking guy with that annoying emo haircut.

Apparently even christian nerds are going emo now...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
DRM

Oh dear god.
When I dint think that emo could get any farther.
O.O
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
JCC

Holy shit, Christians are emo!

Next, Jews will stop wearing trilby hats!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Albert Mond

Smile

Don't disgrace the word "nerd" by associating it with the Christian-Emo trend.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

This thread was much better than I expected. Not to say it's great; but I was expecting some stupid bashing.

One question DRM, and I'm not leading you into a trap, what's left-sided for you?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
Eclipsing the Son

There have been christian emo bands forever.

I don't understand the complaint here. Are you a christian who doesn't like emos? An emo that doesn't like christian? A nerd? What's the hastle here?
Eclipsing the Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
stolide

No hassle, it was just surprising and funny to me. This was from a highly conservative college. I went there once. They have a rule that says if you touch a member of the opposite sex you are to be expelled. Also, staring into someones eyes is against the rules and is deemed "eye sex." women are not allowed to venture off campus in groups smaller than 3. Men and women are not allowed to be in the same elevator at the same time. Mp3 players or anything with earphones are banned. The only type of music allowed is gosple or traditional classical music written about god. Movies that are rated anything more than pg-13 are outright banned. Most television programs are against the rules. And you have to sign a contract saying you will follow all their rules while off campus. I'm positive they have more rules than that as well...

As to your other question, I am christian, many consider me a nerd (I play DnD and MTG and have been called a nerd for going to college two years early), and I do dislike the current emo trend that is not associated with the music.

I wasn't intending to disgrace "nerd." It's just the guy was in a stupid looking sweater and had a pocket protector. I just assumed that they were marketing him as a nerd.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Blakeny

I'm a Christian as well, and I have no problem with Emo Christians. There are some very emo aspects of the Christian Faith.

What REALLY annoys me is when Christians use "emo" or any other teen trend to attract younger crowds - when they use the trends as a fish hook to be "relevant." That's just dishonest and manipulative.
Blakeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeny
I'm a Christian as well, and I have no problem with Emo Christians. There are some very emo aspects of the Christian Faith.

What REALLY annoys me is when Christians use "emo" or any other teen trend to attract younger crowds - when they use the trends as a fish hook to be "relevant." That's just dishonest and manipulative.
I know what you mean, but if a Christian group is just into emo, then they're just into emo.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Blakeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I know what you mean, but if a Christian group is just into emo, then they're just into emo.
Exactly. No problem at all.

Underoath, whom I am not a fan of, were asked if they were just into the metal because it attracts kids and they are trying to get converts, and they said that they do it because they love metal, not because they are trying to save lives. I think that's beautiful.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #11
stolide

I agree about underoath. And what you said about the trends. I realize there are emo aspects of christianity, but to me it seemed that this was just a grab for attention from the mainstream.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Albert Mond

It annoys me how some Christian bands tend to implant little things in their lyrics rather than being completely open about it. Like Family Force Five. It's fucking sinister how much of a formulaic garbage heap this band is. Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqr8q7RheXg
Here's a list of reasons why stupid and confused teens should like this band:
1. Catchy Lyrics
2. It's "hardcore"
3. It's part rap
4. T3h video's full of sex appeal
5. ZOMG!!!11 AL DIS AND DER XIAN!!111
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Blakeny

I've never liked Family Force Five, for reasons you mentioned. That and they make everything very nice and safe and family friendly. Which I find abhorrent.

Because when you make everything pretty, it makes life, God, self, pain, joy, seem very cheap. Tacky, petty art only cheapens life. And that is my primary complaint with a lot of music we hear on the radio today, and a lot of Christian music as well.

Blake
Old 12-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #14
stolide

Exactly. Also, assuming Christianity is ultimately right. There would be no point to a lot of it if there was nothing bad about the earth. And thus by christians making things seem better than they are, they are undermining their own religion.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
There would be no point to a lot of it if there was nothing bad about the earth.
*burp*
(uh? ...)
Old 12-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #16
Jaye Jang

Stolide, these folks are not 'conservative Christians', they're just plain weird. The phrase, 'Get help' comes to mind here. (Considering they think you can have 'eye' sex, I wonder what they must think of certain Eskimo tribes who 'kiss' by rubbing noses. I imagine 'nose' sex would probably get you EXpelled, if not outright EXpunged and/or EXterminated). That's just scary.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:09 AM   #17
Beneath the Shadows

I love nerds! But Christian Emo nerds? I've never tried that kind.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #18
stolide

You get expelled for touching a member of the opposite sex. Thus nose sex would get you expelled too. So I'm not sure what happens if you have sex...

They are conservative, extremely conservative. You can't get much more conservative than them. Nearly everything in the Bible is taken literally, even when it was obvious that it was supposed to metaphorical.

@Steppenwolf: A lot of christianity hinges around the fact that humanity is inherently flawed and that the world we live in is horrible. The rest of it is how Hell is horrible. So by making the world seem better than it is, you are making christianity less important.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
PinstripesAndPithHelmets

Christianity is rather emo, really. After all, it's based on a fellow whose life was all struggle and pain. It basically screams "pity".
Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
Ms.Crowbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
It annoys me how some Christian bands tend to implant little things in their lyrics rather than being completely open about it. Like Family Force Five. It's fucking sinister how much of a formulaic garbage heap this band is. Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqr8q7RheXg
Here's a list of reasons why stupid and confused teens should like this band:
1. Catchy Lyrics
2. It's "hardcore"
3. It's part rap
4. T3h video's full of sex appeal
5. ZOMG!!!11 AL DIS AND DER XIAN!!111
Chris Tomlin is good...
He doesn't try to shove his religion down your throat through his music, either.
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #21
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang
[...] I imagine 'nose' sex would probably get you EXpelled, if not outright EXpunged and/or EXterminated).
...or possibly EXorcised? People like those tend to be rather fond of such things in my experience.

Anyway, gods, that´s weird; is this "Return of the Medieval Ages" or something? (heh, that´d probably be a potentially interesting movie...)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
Chris Tomlin is good...
He doesn't try to shove his religion down your throat through his music, either.
Unless Tomlin's a member of Family Force Five, I think the fact that I said "some" should mean something.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Crowbar
Chris Tomlin is good...
I'm getting sick of people saying that when someone talks about his religion, he's "shoving it down your throat."

No they fucking aren't. If someone makes music about Christ, EVEN if his objective is to convert people, it isn't shoving anything down your throat. If you listen to it, it's because you CHOOSE to listen to it, so it's your own fucking fault.

If someone physically removes you from your home, smashes your Buddha statues while you're away, and forces you into his own church, then yeah, you can say religion was proverbially shoved down your throat.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #24
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolide
@Steppenwolf: A lot of christianity hinges around the fact that humanity is inherently flawed and that the world we live in is horrible. The rest of it is how Hell is horrible. So by making the world seem better than it is, you are making christianity less important.
Yes I get what is meant , but I just don't agree with 'the world we live in is horrible' , and if 'salvation' is all christianity has to offer , it's a very poor religion .
Obviously it's not . I don't think that your description of christianity fits nowhere but in a fanatical sect . Perhaps it's not the place to discuss this with you , but anyways I want you to know that you are wrong .
Old 12-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #25
Steppenwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
"Return of the Medieval Ages" or something?
Yeah , that's what a few idiots want , because "God" was "safer" back then .