Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Bella Sophia

I was wondering.
Underwater Ophelia brought up a good point about karma. Why do awesome things happen to horrible people, and terrible things happen to good people?
I had never thought about how naive this karma concept can be. Then again, I've always thought about it in terms of magick. Not only am I an inexperienced witch, but I am also deathly afraid of doing something horrifically wrong with a ritual, and from that, karma would come back around to bite me in the ass.
After all, "witches do it in circles."
Another thing hit me. What about the people who don't believe in karma? If you don't believe then, I suppose it should have no effect on you. Example, I don't believe in the Christian god, so there's no way for him to punish me. Conversely, my Christian friend doesn't believe in Tarot cards, so they may not work for her. At least... that is my theory.
If karma applies to more than just magick, then I have more research ahead of me. (Well, I have a lot of research ahead of me anyway.)
It's just something I was wondering about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_dreams
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Don't you have anything better to do than pollute our forums?!?
Bella Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
JCC

1. It's not magick. The same as I don't listen to musick. It's magic.

2. Magic is bullshit.

3. So is karma.

4. Disbelieving in the Christian god doesn't mean shit, he's supposedly omnipotent, he can brutalise you whenever he wants.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
1. It's not magick. The same as I don't listen to musick. It's magic.

2. Magic is bullshit.

3. So is karma.

4. Disbelieving in the Christian god doesn't mean shit, he's supposedly omnipotent, he can brutalise you whenever he wants.
1. Magick is the Pagan magick that is done at an altar. Magic are those dumb magic tricks done with the rabbit in the hat. Misconception.

2. Magic is bull. Magick is not.

3. No comment.

4. And, well, it does. If I don't believe he exists, then he can't do anything to me. It's the same argument Christians use for other gods. Since they don't believe in, say, Danu, then well, Danu can't do anything to them.

Quote:
What the Hell is wrong with you!?!?! who the Hell kill's helpless and innocent babies? that's f***ing sick!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Sophia
1. Magick is the Pagan magick that is done at an altar. Magic are those dumb magic tricks done with the rabbit in the hat. Misconception.
Magic is magic done at an altar or a kid's party. It's labelled as 'magick' so that people like you will buy into the product.

Quote:
2. Magic is bull. Magick is not.
Proof.

Quote:
4. And, well, it does. If I don't believe he exists, then he can't do anything to me. It's the same argument Christians use for other gods. Since they don't believe in, say, Danu, then well, Danu can't do anything to them.
Yes, he can. Since he even states that being an unbeliever is the unforgivable sin and you're going straight to Hell for it, it is categorical that if he exists, even if you refuse to believe it, he'll fuck you with no vaseline.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
gothicusmaximus

Look, you can stay here if you really want to, but could you just not develop any more "theories"? At least not until you learn what logic and reason are?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Magick isn't real, either.

I was a practicing witch for several years, and now I realize it's just the same as any other religion.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Bella Sophia

No, magic and magick are not the same. That's the end of it.

And, well, the same goes with the many gods and goddesses that people don't believe in. And, with as many religions as there are, I think we're all screwed. There's no way to tell that Christianity is right.
And, I'm so tired of saying that I'm going to Hell. Hell doesn't even exist to me. I'll tell you what, you win if I go to heaven or hell. I win if some Christian ends up going to Summerland. -.- Give me a break.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Magick isn't real, either.

I was a practicing witch for several years, and now I realize it's just the same as any other religion.
What do you mean just the same?

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
LaBelleDameSansMerci

I think people can attribute luck to whatever they feel comfortable with.
"Gee. I lost my job in the latest round of layoffs. God/Karma must be punishing me for ignoring that homeless guy."
And on the flip side, "Gee. Someone offered me a job that's better than the last one. God/Karma must be rewarding me for helping my friend out of a difficult situation."
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
JCC

Quote:
No, magic and magick are not the same. That's the end of it.
The concepts are not the same, because one is not a pretentious marketing scheme intended to lure in imbeciles like you who get off on following something spelt in Early Modern English.

Quote:
And, well, the same goes with the many gods and goddesses that people don't believe in. And, with as many religions as there are, I think we're all screwed. There's no way to tell that Christianity is right.
You don't get it.
OMNIPOTENT.

ALL-POWERFUL.

WHAT KIND OF ALL-POWERFUL BEING CAN'T DO SHIT TO YOU IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN THEM?

Quote:
And, I'm so tired of saying that I'm going to Hell. Hell doesn't even exist to me. I'll tell you what, you win if I go to heaven or hell. I win if some Christian ends up going to Summerland. -.- Give me a break.
You come up with a 'theory' (the inverted commas are because I really don't like the idea of giving you the idea that you're some sort of fucking philosopher), I point out the glaring mistakes in your logic and I'm meant to give you a break?

"Listen, Anselm, I like you and everything but this Ontological Argument-"
"MAN BACK THE FUCK UP. GOD, GIVE ME A BREAK MAN. IF YOU TURN OUT TO BE RIGHT, WHOOP-DE-FUCKING-DOO, IF I TURN OUT TO BE RIGHT, I WIN!"
Old 10-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Godslayer Jillian

Karma is a bourgeois belief.
Only those that are well off can fucking believe good things bring good things.
The ones being fucked up in this society can justifiably (sort of) believe in an afterlife: they have to cling to a belief that they will be compensated for taking so much shit. But believing that they're already recompensed enough in their lives?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #12
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
What do you mean just the same?
For the most part, fake.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #13
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
The concepts are not the same, because one is not a pretentious marketing scheme intended to lure in imbeciles like you who get off on following something spelt in Early Modern English.

You don't get it.
OMNIPOTENT.

ALL-POWERFUL.

WHAT KIND OF ALL-POWERFUL BEING CAN'T DO SHIT TO YOU IF YOU SAY YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN THEM?

You come up with a 'theory' (the inverted commas are because I really don't like the idea of giving you the idea that you're some sort of fucking philosopher), I point out the glaring mistakes in your logic and I'm meant to give you a break?

"Listen, Anselm, I like you and everything but this Ontological Argument-"
"MAN BACK THE FUCK UP. GOD, GIVE ME A BREAK MAN. IF YOU TURN OUT TO BE RIGHT, WHOOP-DE-FUCKING-DOO, IF I TURN OUT TO BE RIGHT, I WIN!"
All hail JCC. He's proven himself to be a genius yet again. Oh whatever will I do without your posts to remind me or my stupidity?
Listen, squawk all you want. I pay no heed to your nonsense.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #14
JCC

Fuck, when I'm straight-out insulting you, that's somewhat of an understandable retort.

When you refuse to listen to me when I'm ripping your 'theory' to shreds, you concede defeat.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #15
Bella Sophia

@ Jillian: So, you don't believe in an afterlife at all?

@ UO: Ah, I see then... Well, if it is fake, then hopefully in this lifetime, I will find something that works.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
All hail JCC. He's proven himself to be a genius yet again.
He didn't prove himself to be a genius. He proved himself capable of applying basic, syllogistic reasoning and knowing what words mean. This may seem to be an overwhelming display of intelligence to you, unquantifiably idiotic as you are, but it's not.

Quote:
OMNIPOTENT.

ALL-POWERFUL.

Bella's philosophy:
Christian God = FREDDY KRUEGER.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
@ Jillian: So, you don't believe in an afterlife at all?
Supernatural beliefs, like an afterlife and magick, are all unfounded and therefore stupid.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
JCC

I'm going to pipe up right about now and wait for Bella Sophia to tell me how insignificant I am.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Supernatural beliefs, like an afterlife and magick, are all unfounded and therefore stupid.
Dude, you don't believe in vampires? Get out. You're not goth.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #20
Bella Sophia

Quote:
So you place all your beliefs in science? So, you're saying that we die and nothing happens - just blackness and nothingness...

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #21
JCC

Quote:
So you place all your beliefs in science? So, you're saying that we die and nothing happens - just blackness and nothingness...
Makes more sense than sitting in the clouds, playing the harp and existing in an inaccessible metaphysical realm of happiness forever.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:14 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Of course!

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
No, lotsa stuff happens!

DO YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT THE MIRACLE OF DECOMPOSITION?!!?!?
Old 10-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #24
Bella Sophia

Quote:
Of course!
Interesting... Well, good luck with that.
The thought scares me.
Either way - science or religion - is unsatisfying to me because nothing ever has all the answers... *sigh* It's a never ending quest.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

I honestly can't respect people that believe it's a sad thing that we don't know everything already.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: