Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #3651
Saya

Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #3652
Xombie

My first run of experiments on my corn leafhoppers supports my seemingly obvious hypothesis that the leafhoppers that are raised on red corn plants have more counter-defensive physiological mechanisms, mainly enzyme activity, for corn than for a perennial teosinte.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #3653
Jaye Jang

I got this crazy idea to Google my great-grandfather's name, and got the shock of my life. I logged his name into Google and it took me straight to a website called "Findagrave.c*m." I was looking at his headstone!!! Along with his birth and death dates, and a listing of the family members, including my great-great grandfather, who was full-blood Cherokee. Why this really made my day is that my mom died 1-1/2 years ago, and when my great-great aunt died this year, she took the family name to her grave, so there were no more relatives on my mom's side of the family. Period. So I was feeling like an orphan. I knew I had relatives on my late dad's side (on this side of the country), but I felt like I'd lost half my family. Then I found out, to my surprise, that the grave blog for my great grandparents is maintained by a distant cousin I didn't even know I had, and through her I've discovered a whole slew of relatives on my mom's side of the family. I was so excited I could hardly sit still. I have family!! I don't feel like an orphan anymore.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #3654
Fruitbat

Coconut macaroons made with almond meal... anyone want some?

I'll just go put the kettle on and the welcome matt out...

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #3655
Grausamkeit

Jaye, that is great news!

Skyping with the kids is awesome! They lose interest in phone calls pretty quickly. Being able to skype with them I can 'see' them in between visits and talk with them for a good 30 minutes or so. I like living in the age that I do and having technology. ^_^

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #3656
MissCheyenne

Bought a sweet, burgandy coloured wool floppy hat, a men's sleeveless t-shirt to graffiti on, some sugar skull earrings and a marker pen for less than ten quid today. The hat will be awesome for when it starts getting cool in the autumn and the tee is for a festival I'm going to next month, it's bright blue and says 'totes amaze' on the front. I shall be adding the word 'balls' to it and whatever else I fancy drawing with my shiny new marker

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #3657
honeythorn

I now know there exists... an Andrew Eldritch LEGO MAN. I NEED HIM.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #3658
Apathy's_Child

I'm going on my first date in five years or thereabouts tomorrow night. We haven't decided what we're doing yet - is ice-skating still a good date or is that like a cheesy manic pixie dream-girl date now? How about pool, or is that just too skeevy? I really don't want to just go to a bar, but I'm:

i) not really sure what people do besides drink, and
ii) SO fucking out of practise at this. I dunno when that happened. I used to be fucking charming without even trying.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #3659
honeythorn

The 45 BPAL imps I won on ebay have finally arrived from Canada. I've sniffed 8 so far and only dislike 2 . They smell slightly mannish to me so I might persuade Father that he likes them.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #3660
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I'm going on my first date in five years or thereabouts tomorrow night. We haven't decided what we're doing yet - is ice-skating still a good date or is that like a cheesy manic pixie dream-girl date now? How about pool, or is that just too skeevy? I really don't want to just go to a bar, but I'm:

ii) SO fucking out of practise at this. I dunno when that happened. I used to be fucking charming without even trying.
You know some people go for coffee on their first date XD
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #3661
Timeless Rebellion

I dunno about you guys, but I never get sick of pugs.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #3662
Fruitbat

Quote:

Congrats on venturing out into the dating world again AC.

Ice skating is good if she can skate.

Agree with Saya - coffee house somewhere nice...

Ah heck, don't take my advice, I've never been on a date, except with a GF and then we go to the movies and have dinner.. plus my idea of dates are not mainstream at all.. (hiking, walking through botanical gardens)

Old 06-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3663
Kasdeja

I might actually be understanding what they're teaching in math class.

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #3664
The Passage

Seeing money in my bank account today, for the first time in like... since ever, really made my day.

The Passage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #3665
Grausamkeit

Quote:

I've lucked out with just playing pool. Not getting drunk and hanging all over one another. Just having fun. Didn't turn out. I've tried traditional dates(dinner, movies), no hanky-panky. Didn't turn out. I don't even know what guys want besides sex. I'm not giving away my dubious virtue to just anyone, though.

Do something fun. Have coffee, feed ducks, go ice skating if you know how.

Does this girl seem like one who would be more impressed with what you can do for her than who you are?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #3666
Valhalla

Had the most wonderful night of metal and head banging and jumping around. Now I'm all happy and tuckered out.

Spellcheck is saying tuckered isn't a real word but I always thought it was.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #3667
Jaye Jang

Finding this. I looove watching these guys dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njDwE...eature=related

Btw, Timeless, loved the pug pic. So cute.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #3668
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
Does this girl seem like one who would be more impressed with what you can do for her than who you are?
Nah, it's not that. It's just that we've been friends a long time, so I thought it might be nice if what she's charmingly decided shall be our "first actual bone-night" wasn't just like any other night we'd normally spend together - i.e. playing guitar, watching cartoons or staggering around bars. Maybe some kind of foreign food we never tried or something, I'm thinking. She's a pretty big foodie. Coffee after? She's a big late-night caffeinator too...

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #3669
BourbonBoy

After a week of triple digit temperatures it finally cooled off after some much needed rain, adding a pleasant smell to it besides random garbage rotting away in the heat
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #3670
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Nah, it's not that. It's just that we've been friends a long time, so I thought it might be nice if what she's charmingly decided shall be our "first actual bone-night" wasn't just like any other night we'd normally spend together - i.e. playing guitar, watching cartoons or staggering around bars. Maybe some kind of foreign food we never tried or something, I'm thinking. She's a pretty big foodie. Coffee after? She's a big late-night caffeinator too...
Oh...it's that kind of date, lol. I think it's incredibly sweet that you want to make it special!

A new foreign food would probably be a good bet. Late night coffee....for late night boning!

Damn, now I want Indian food!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #3671
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
We had a wasp nest outside under one of the deck chairs, we tried spraying it with a bunch of things to get rid of them. We've dealt with several of this set of wasps' nests but this one was the most persistent. Nothing worked. So I came up with the final solution. I completely covered every inch of my body, and wore a face mask with lab splash goggles, and of course my boots.

I went out there, tried setting the nest on fire. It worked for a bit but it kept going out before it finished the job and it wasn't easy to light the matches with gloves on. At this point I had gotten used to and felt safe in the fact that I was untouchable to the wasps. So I just went and crushed part of the wasps nest between my fingers. The larvae and everything inside burst and were quite juicy I suppose you could say, and the juice was oddly quite red. But at this point I realized it would still take too long(not to mention the gloves were stained by the juice) and it was getting hot with a scarf around my head(to keep them from getting in the gaps in the hood), so I just thought to hell with it, picked it up, and crushed it underneath my boot. The wasps have since disappeared quite quickly it would seem.

Is this the final victory we had been hoping for? or will they make a new nest somewhere else on the deck now? stay tuned.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #3672
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
BONUS! Several days ago my mother lost the car keys so we were stuck unable to do things like get groceries. We were stuck searching the whole house repeatedly until we found the spare set(that didn't have several of the other keys we needed). So after I took care of the wasps, we were fixing the deck chairs, and found the keys on them, the wasps were keeping us away from the keys!

Edit: after some research the red juicy contents of the nest are quite likely nectar, possibly even fermented nectar.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #3673
ape descendant

That's awesome! I can only imagine the satisfaction of stomping out a wasp nest with my boot after they'd plagued my outdoor fun for untold eons.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #3674
Fruitbat

Ren - what are the natural predators in your area for wasps? Try attracting some of those, and they should take care of the wasps.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #3675
Valhalla

Is it weird that I'm actually curious if the wasps will form a new nest on Ren's deck after a boot attack?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote