Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
NightmareInShiningArmour

End of the world on Saturday

I don't particularly believe this but i was just on a game and people wouldn't shut up about it, thought I should post it, see your opinions.

Source: http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/s...p?vmsrc=vmhpld

Quote:
This Saturday the most advanced scientific instrument ever built will be switched on in Geneva.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has been built to test current theories for particle physics and scientists will try and recreate the conditions that existed just after the Big Bang by smashing parts of atoms together at high speeds.

When activated the collider could show one of the most elusive particles in our Universe, the Higgs boson, also called the "God particle". This observation could confirm the Standard Model of physics unifying three of the four known fundamental forces: electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force, leaving out just gravity.

However, other more dangerous particles will also be produced for which searches are planned, such as black holes, and never seen before particles of matter, and even now, the architects of what is being termed a "Doomsday" machine, the U.S. Department of Energy, Fermilab, the National Science Foundation and CERN are being sued in federal court over fears that this experiment may in fact destroy the planet.

Also our old friend Nostradamus’ words ring from the grave with this grim prediction:

Nostradamus quatrain 9 44:

Leave, leave Geneva every last one of you,
Saturn will be converted from gold to iron,
"Raypoz" will exterminate all who oppose him,
Before the coming the sky will show signs.

Did Nostradamus predict the Large Hadron Collider? Will the Earth disappear into a black hole of its own making?
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:35 AM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, wow, I better make this Saturday's party the best fucking party of my life.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
MitsyMayhem

Ha. I'm getting my camera ready.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
KontanKarite

I'm doubting it'll be so bad.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
Saya

I was wondering when they were gonna turn that thing on ^_^

And we all know the end of the world isn't until 2012.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:59 AM   #6
Minyaliel

Nostradamus is seriously overrated. Believing his predictions is just as silly as fervently believing that Timothy Leary was the incarnation of god.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #7
KontanKarite

Hahahahahahaha

Old 08-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel
Nostradamus is seriously overrated. Believing his predictions is just as silly as fervently believing that Timothy Leary was the incarnation of god.
There's a little more truth to the latter.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 AM   #9
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Great, yet another object to fuel my irrational paranoia
Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 AM   #10
NightmareInShiningArmour

It's honestly hard to think that anyone would believe that. I mean you could have fears but to actually believe it's definately going to happen seems a bit irrational.

Sorry Canvas Corpsey :S
NightmareInShiningArmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
CptSternn

They are just switching it on this weekend. They aren't using it to collide atoms until the end of October, so there will be no chance of any issues this weekend.

They just want to see if it works.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #12
Strīcan

Hmm. Any chance they'd postpone colliding the atoms until after I graduate from med school?
Strīcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:13 AM   #13
constanza

time for a last pina colada?
constanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Raptor

Aha people come up with some up with some funny shit.

And there's this video about the LHC some guy has done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt1Yo610lG0

I can't tell if he makes videos as satire or if he believes himself.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:29 AM   #15
Tam Li Hua

Augh...that would just be my luck; I finally find the man I want to be with for the rest of my life...and then the world ends because of stupid scientists who can't keep their hands from doing stupid crap. >_<

F&%k.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #16
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Augh...that would just be my luck; I finally find the man I want to be with for the rest of my life...
You will be. It's just that that tenure of time may be three or four days.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
AngelikDemonik

Now I want to listen to that "Virtual Insanity" song by Jamiroquai...

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
You will be. It's just that that tenure of time may be three or four days.
Heh. Good point.

But we haven't 'done it' yet, and weren't going to until after everything's official. :/

I would really like to not get sucked into a black hole on Saturday. Or anytime. Ever.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
Wingweaver_The_Vampire

wow, cool... Let us wait and see what happens Saturday lol
Wingweaver_The_Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #20
LiUsAiDh

FFs, black holes don't have infinite gravity, certainly not enough (on the size of the one they'll be making) to 'end the world' unless they're using something about 5 times the size of earth. The gravity field (which fyi is the bit which rips stuff apart and holds light) fades (distance-wise) very quickly.

It's just the media making a big thing about it.

Do you really think scientists would just let the world explode. No.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #21
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiUsAiDh
Do you really think scientists would just let the world explode. No.
Not intentionally, no. I guess I just don't have much faith in mankind these days, and I don't trust that most folks know what they're doing...even scientists. :P
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #22
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Do you really think scientists would just let the world explode.
Yes, mad scientists, scientists who have gone crazy messing with these amazing new discoveries, "some men just want to watch the world burn".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPt08UYmyMo
On that note I just want to show this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg9t7uXkLyA

Scientists these days are screwing with alot of freaky stuff, some scientists are working on making human animal hybrids, others are working on trying to work with antimatter. I could imagine it now, you're walking down the street when suddenly you trip over a dying animal human hybrid, and you fall face first into a single antimatter atom of carbon that somehow hasn't come in contact with any carbon atoms untill you, and you explode(matter explodes when it comes in contact with it's anti-matter version).

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #23
LiUsAiDh

It's their jobs; they calculate the gravity fields. If it exploded the world (which it wouldn't, because it's scientifically impossible) they would die too. Well, yes, they may be suicidal, but I don't think they'd want to kill all their friends and families. Also many scientists work on it, so a few would check it.

But, most importantly it's fucking impossible to end the world with a man-made black hole. I'm also 99% sure a natural one won't because none are near enough; and there are no huge stars nearby enough to go supernova their way into black-hole-dom.

The 'world' will most likely end when our sun dies and expands and burns earth to a crisp. Sadly, we have a good few years before that happens, and unless we've become extinct the human race should have managed to colonise another planet. So s'all good.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
Raptor

Quote:
FFs, black holes don't have infinite gravity, certainly not enough (on the size of the one they'll be making) to 'end the world' unless they're using something about 5 times the size of earth. The gravity field (which fyi is the bit which rips stuff apart and holds light) fades (distance-wise) very quickly.
They're worried any black holes would grow. But if any are created they'll disappear too quickly to affect anything which is why they aren't dangerous; they aren't going to grow.

Fears over this are silly when LHC collisions are at a lower energy than particles at the top of the atmosphere.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #25
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Heh. Good point.

But we haven't 'done it' yet, and weren't going to until after everything's official. :/

I would really like to not get sucked into a black hole on Saturday. Or anytime. Ever.

Interesting priorities. You know... you could die tomorrow. o_0 If you want to "do it", then do it.