Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 AM   #26
Shi'ark

And drugs, I forgot about them. Drug use with younger people is now a big problem with mental illness in the uk.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:21 AM   #27
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
Considering that a lot of mental disorders are thought to be heriditary, it would be natural to think that they are there from birth, or at the very least, the predispositon is there from birth.
There's two schools for thought on that. Those who say maybe and those who say maybe not.

Personally I think we need to know more on how the brain works. But from working in mental health for 3 years I haven’t met many who has more then one person in the family with an illness.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:09 AM   #28
Ben Lahnger

*raising my hand*

I have been diagnosed with Adult ADD and depression. My psychiatrists have each told me it was due to chemical imbalances in my brain, most likely hereditary.

My sister has been treated for depression. I beleive my brother has had issues with it too, but he will never talk about it.

My Mother has had many problems througout the years. The latest was on January 3rd when she stabbed my Father.

Her Mother commited suicide.

I have known other people who have had family histories, so I'm suggesting that your 3 years of experience has been too limited to give you an adequate sample set.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #29
Shi'ark

Family histories of anything are more likely because of social aspects. There has been no clear evidence that’s there’s any genetic link. The brain is affected so many different things but when chemical imbalances genetics doesn’t seems much part.

Sorry to hear what you and your family are going through, my self have gone through a lot of shit so please don’t criticize my experience of working with people suffering Anxiety, Depression, schizophrenia and a lot of other horrible illness any till you walk a mile in my boots.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #30
Wise Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
And drugs, I forgot about them. Drug use with younger people is now a big problem with mental illness in the uk.
It's been made a huge deal of lately, hasn't it? I have to admit it worries me at times, as there's mental illness in my immediate family. Nowadays I only smoke weed, but that's the biggest one the media's targeted lately, linking it to schizophrenia. I do think about quitting a lot lately. I reckon I'll give it up when I leave university. I'll probably still have the odd toke, but I don't see myself smoking every day in the "real" world. It kind of feels like asking for it, which is pretty stupid for someone who's seen crazy close-up, and knows that it's not pleasant.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #31
Shi'ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
It's been made a huge deal of lately, hasn't it? I have to admit it worries me at times, as there's mental illness in my immediate family. Nowadays I only smoke weed, but that's the biggest one the media's targeted lately, linking it to schizophrenia. I do think about quitting a lot lately. I reckon I'll give it up when I leave university. I'll probably still have the odd toke, but I don't see myself smoking every day in the "real" world. It kind of feels like asking for it, which is pretty stupid for someone who's seen crazy close-up, and knows that it's not pleasant.
It’s thought by most (those who don’t work with The daily mail) that psychosis and weed manly affects heavy users who are aged around 12-15 when the brain is still developing. That’s about most of the kids who live near woodford then. Right near me.

But It dose different things to different people. I don’t have as much now because I wasn’t enjoying it as mush any more and sometimes it made me paranoid about my friends. A little is fine though, especially when playing music .
Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #32
Wise Child

Hehe, I have a friend who lives in Woodford and having seen the natives up close, I think you may just be right...

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #33
Ben Lahnger

You haven't walked a mile in mine. We post here, we're open to criticism.

My opinion is that your 3 years of limited clinical experience do not match up to my 47 years of life. That's just my very unobjective opinion.

There is lot's of evidence that there are genetic links. I don't know where you got that, but that statement is clearly not accurate.

Allow me to quote from the American Psychiatric Association's website:

Family studies using direct interviews of relatives and family history studies have shown that panic disorder is highly familial. Results from studies conducted in different countries (United States, Belgium, Germany, Australia) have shown that the median risk of panic disorder is eight times as high in the first-degree relatives of probands with panic disorder as in the relatives of control subjects (11). A recent family data analysis showed that forms with early onsets (at age 20 or before) were the most familial, carrying a more than 17 times greater risk (12). Results from twin studies have suggested a genetic contribution to the disorder (13, 14).

Here is the link to the original article:

http://www.psych.org/psych_pract/tre...pg_panic_2.cfm

An excerpt from another article:

Low Growth Hormone Levels May Signal Depression Risk

The growth hormone response is abnormally low in children at familial risk of depression. This finding provides still more ammunition that depression is a biological disorder.

When children plunge into the darkness of depression, their growth hormone levels dip as well, researchers have discovered.

And now scientists have found something even more intriguing: Youngsters at familial risk of depression experience abnormally low growth hormone secretion, too.

This finding comes from scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine’s department of psychiatry and at the Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic in Pittsburgh. It is reported in the September Archives of General Psychiatry.

"The main implication, at least at this moment, is that this is more evidence that depression is a biological disorder, at least in part," Boris Birmaher, M.D., the study’s lead investigator, told Psychiatric News. "We think it is a combination of genetics and environment, like many illnesses. The implication is that these kids, even before they get depressed, already have a biological finding. . . .This helps the public, and actually insurance companies, know that we are talking about a biological disorder similar to other illnesses and that it should be treated as such."

Here is the link to that complete article:

http://www.psych.org/pnews/00-10-20/low.html

I could find many more such articles ... scientific, documented findings of the link between biological/genetic predisposition and depression/anxiety.

Not to mention the clearly devoloed links between genetic predisposition and Alzheimer's, Bipolar Disorders, OCD, Alcoholism, Manic Depression, etc. and your comments seem irresponsible at best.

Shi'ark, I respect you and usually enjoy your contributions to Gnet. I just think you are off base here.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #34
Shi'ark

at the risk of theadjacking

Barkingside’s the worst, my ex lived there and ever time I walked through the park their as always was a stoned chav giving me hassle.

The time when I just couldn’t walk away I had to say to them, “For Christ sake you’re suppose to be high. Chill out, be happy, every one’s your friend. Now fuck off.”

and then they run, not very fast they were stoned after all.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #35
Shi'ark

Ben

Ok we might need a new thread for this. If you look your find just as many people who will say differently I’m looking for that now, that’s the annoying thing about psychology. I’ll try and find some site but I’m not very good at the internet thing so it might take me a while, I might be able to email you some stuff I have at home.

And what the hell dose this mean “limited clinical experience” considering you don’t know anything about my time working in health I don’t think that’s very fare.
Now I think of it I’m not even going to continue with this because I’m not hear to have a slagging off much. It’s better we have a friendly talk over something so fuck it, I agree to disagree.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #36
Ben Lahnger

mk ... but I want to make something clear. "Limited clinical experience" was not meant to be a dig, and certainly not a personal attack. 3 years is just not much time in the field, and I observed that as a layman.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #37
Shi'ark

3 years of what??? come work mental health in london. after a week your see what i mean. end
Old 03-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #38
Ben Lahnger

*sigh* ... okay. end.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-17-2006, 09:15 AM   #39
Shi'ark

sorry, that got a little out of hand.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #40
Ben Lahnger

I admire that you are passionate about what you do ... that you feel that emotionally invested and that it affects you personally that way ... it's important.

I do respect that, and really was not trying to insult you.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #41
OnixxFilth

I'm actually on several medications for my panic attacks. There's what I call my "nerve pills" that are supposed to keep me from getting too nervous, and then there's my tranquilizers for when I have a panic attack. I usually prefer to try a more natural method, like meditation, before resorting to a tranq. Those are my "weapons of last resort."
Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #42
Godslayer Jillian

I want to dedicate my stress to candles, soft music, and horse tranquilizer

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:37 PM   #43
bunnicula

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shi'ark
There's two schools for thought on that. Those who say maybe and those who say maybe not.

Personally I think we need to know more on how the brain works. But from working in mental health for 3 years I haven’t met many who has more then one person in the family with an illness.
What type of work do you do in mental health? I am just getting started in the field. I am working on my MA in Art Therapy/ Counseling and will be working with schizophrenic and borderline adults next year.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:13 AM   #44
OnixxFilth

Yeah, I also like to listen to music, burn incense and candles, and read a good book.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #45
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I find murderous rampages do a lot to relieve my anxiety. With all the adrenaline rushing around, I just don't notice my depression anymore.
Muahahaha!! Yep, that'd probably do the trick

Does anyone else here get panicky in queues? If I'm stuck in a long, slow-moving queue (at the bank for instance) I get very, very stressed - to the point where I feel ill. Is this just me?

~ Wei Hui
Deviant Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #46
Deviant Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I am really good at removing myself from situations, mentally. I'm a little worried, though, that my imagination will take over sometime and not give me back my body when I need it again.
I often drift off into my own little world. Unfortunately I sometimes do it at work, which makes my manager tell me off for daydreaming I couldn't spend all night thinking about chilli oil and mozzarella garlic bread though, or I'd go crazy!!

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #47
Deviant Kitten

I can be a bit like that too. Sometimes I'm convinced that something actually happened, only to realise later that it was just a dream. Occasionally I can't even remember if something was real or a dream/daydream! It's a little scary, but oddly comforting at times. I like being able to retreat into my own little fantasy when reality sucks too hard.

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #48
Deviant Kitten

It can be a bit scary. I can't see you going crazy on us though, Xng! I've worried about this too in the past, but I've come to believe it's just a side effect of being an imaginative and creative person, as most the people I've met who fit that description have been major daydreamers.

Do you ever feel as if you have a constant internal dialogue running through your mind? My brain never shuts up! I drive my boyfriend crazy by talking constantly and saying seemingly random things or asking him questions. He tells me to just chill out and stop thinking all the time... but how on Earth am I supposed to "stop thinking"?! O.0

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 AM   #49
Deviant Kitten

Hey, me too! *spooky music*
I hear everything as I think it, and see it written out like a script. It's almost like I'm writing and directing my own play. I just wish the other characters in it would do as I tell them though... *manipulative smile*

~ Wei Hui
Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #50
Shi'ark

[quote=bunnicula]
Quote:

What type of work do you do in mental health? I am just getting started in the field. I am working on my MA in Art Therapy/ Counseling and will be working with schizophrenic and borderline adults next year.
Some hospital work but mostly I was a Community mental health worker and my last 5 weeks was spent working in a residential home. That was great and so lade back compared to the community work which in this city can be hell on earth. I had to stop before Xmass because instead of Tony Blair giving us more money, which we need, he’s giving us less money of mental health services. A lot of us with out a NVQ2 are out of work right now.

The big problem is that mental health is understaffed, under funded, misunderstood, stigmatized (we have the media to thank for that one) so many, including those with Anxiety and Depression, are not getting the help they need.

‘Art Therapy’ I wish they had more money for this. It can work wonders.