Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
CDC

Question Can darker skinned people do the pale face thing?

Ok so I love the whole pale skin with dark make-up and black hair look, but I'm mixed (black and white) and while I'm not too dark you can tell I'm not fully caucasian. I want to do that look but not sure how to, what to use and if it would look good on someone who's not fully caucasian. I've seen people use white make-up on their face and you can tell it's make-up but I want it to look natural. Almost as if I was sick and got pale maybe.....Any suggestions on how to do it, what to use and if someones who's not caucasian should do it at all?
CDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

You can't look pale. You can look paler.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDC View Post
Ok so I love the whole pale skin with dark make-up and black hair look, but I'm mixed (black and white) and while I'm not too dark you can tell I'm not fully caucasian. I want to do that look but not sure how to, what to use and if it would look good on someone who's not fully caucasian. I've seen people use white make-up on their face and you can tell it's make-up but I want it to look natural. Almost as if I was sick and got pale maybe.....Any suggestions on how to do it, what to use and if someones who's not caucasian should do it at all?
Honestly, as a fellow black woman, I wouldn't recommend it. There are certain warm and neutral colors you can work with such as golds and lighter shades of dark colors like perhaps green, gray or lavender.

Just hit the MAC counter near you. You can work with a very wide range of foundation colors and if your skin color is any indication, you're fine the way you are. However, if you are absolutely hellbent on going full speed ahead, you should only go one shade lighter.

Anything lighter than that and you will just look ashy and out of proportion on your other body parts (arms, legs, whatever else you regularly expose to the sun).
Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Minyaliel

Unless you want to look like a mime or wear paint on your entire body, no. Going 1-2 shades paler, yes. Going to a makeup store to ask for help is a very good idea.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
crucifix

Hmm, I know this one guy who is biracial and tries the white face thing. First off all, not even white people should do the whole white face pancake thing, looks to comical to me. And this guy goes way to far. He is a highschool poser type trying to find his way, I understand that, but still, white face? Huh? He looks silly. Get a face powder. Find your shade that matches your skin exactly and then go one lighter. That should work. I do that, and it looks so much more realistic and not obvious that I have makeup on if I do that. I also find that it you decide to wear liquid foundation underneath to match that to your skin exactly and then use the lighter powder. Too light foundation always looks streaky to me.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #6
SiouxsiePernova

Are you prepared to paint your ears with foundation to match your face?
SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Godslayer Jillian

Oh! Christ! please! don't!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Opteron_Man

I'd just forget it and concentrate on eyeliner.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #9
CDC

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Well my ears are usually covered up by my hair but that does make a lot of sense. I think I'll at least try what most people are saying and just buy some foundation and go one shade lighter. Thanks for the help guys.
CDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Unimatrix 00

be proud of your skin color, baby. I am mixed race also, but I embrace my colour. There are so many other ways you can go gothic with your makeup. Try a dark lip, Try some dark eyeshadows. xx
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
JCC

It's saddening that you've come across the notion that a pale face is synonymous with beauty.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
Bonquisha Brown

why in gods name would you want to look whiter? hit the first tanning salon you see honey!
Bonquisha Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
IBreatheJoeyJordison

I think you should love your skin tone.
Pale faces can look beautiful,
but so can darker skin tone.
You won't be able to be pale, so embrace your skin tone.
IBreatheJoeyJordison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
Fae-wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
Honestly, as a fellow black woman, I wouldn't recommend it. There are certain warm and neutral colors you can work with such as golds and lighter shades of dark colors like perhaps green, gray or lavender.

Just hit the MAC counter near you. You can work with a very wide range of foundation colors and if your skin color is any indication, you're fine the way you are. However, if you are absolutely hellbent on going full speed ahead, you should only go one shade lighter.

Anything lighter than that and you will just look ashy and out of proportion on your other body parts (arms, legs, whatever else you regularly expose to the sun).
Yeah, you'll look really terrible if you go any lighter in shades.
I'm mexican and I tan real easily. (I REALLY HATE TAN LINES)
However, with the right make up and the right clothing you can look absolutely gorgeous.
If you really want to be paler, it'll take work.
For one thing, wear plenty of sunscreen, stay in the shade! If you must, carry an unbrella or a parasol.

You won't be super pale like a white girl but you will get paler at least.

But don't stay out of it too long, you need some sun.

But, it's such a shame. I love seing dark skinned goth girls. I find them quite appealing.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
EMIEMIEMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsiePernova View Post
Not only that, your hands, arms or any showing part of flesh on your body.
EMIEMIEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
dark_appassionata

Cool I understand where she's coming from

I am also a black girl who dresses goth and likes the pale look. I have the White Heat foundation from hottopic and I have worn it a couple times. At first I was reluctant because I felt like it would look chalky, but i tried it on and it succeeded with the white look by blending in. It wasn't bad. But I am still reluctant to go out like that. I do have gold brown foundation as well and thats what I wear all the time, but maybe I could try putting it on first, and then trying a light coating of the white powder over it. You know I'm not trying to overdo anything by looking like a clown, so maybe a few tips from someone?
dark_appassionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
dark_appassionata

A reply for CDC

I would suggest you go to hottopic and get White Heat Bloody Mary Foundation. It works on all skin tones and I have worn it before. I am also a black girl who likes the pale look and dresses goth as well. It will blend in. Just don't overdo it.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_appassionata View Post
I am also a black girl who dresses goth and likes the pale look. I have the White Heat foundation from hottopic and I have worn it a couple times. At first I was reluctant because I felt like it would look chalky, but i tried it on and it succeeded with the white look by blending in. It wasn't bad. But I am still reluctant to go out like that. I do have gold brown foundation as well and thats what I wear all the time, but maybe I could try putting it on first, and then trying a light coating of the white powder over it. You know I'm not trying to overdo anything by looking like a clown, so maybe a few tips from someone?
A tip: Please don't.

Seriously, put the white heat down and go buy some oil-free sunscreen/foundation with SPF for your face and a parasol like everyone else. I know that black don't crack and sun protection are important but why would you want to worship the pale look?

And out of curiosity, do you also look towards the Victorian style? I'm not going to clown you but I'm just asking.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #19
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
And out of curiosity, do you also look towards the Victorian style? I'm not going to clown you but I'm just asking.
Now let's not start up that old business again...

However, I will enthusiastically concur with most other posters in this thread. The deathly pale face is a staple of goth stereotypes, but by no means is it necessary, or even attractive, for individuals of varying skintones. Appreciate whatever coloring the Powers That Be have bestowed upon you and take the requisite steps to avoid becoming suntanned if you truly do not desire a darker complexion.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #20
dark_appassionata

Actually I do love the Victorian style. In the gothic sense at least.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 AM   #21
SiouxsiePernova

I think that you should accept your heritage instead of smearing corpse-paint all over your face.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #22
Raveanya

Thumbs up Yes you can!

Of course you can, it's fairly simple, just wear long sleeves, and high collared clothing, keep tights on too. As long as the clothing is thin you can pull this off in the summer too. Now then to get the proper color, first you need to find a color close to or a few tones lighter than your natural skin tone, then blend it together with the white, alabaster might be a better color for you, it's not striking white but it's fairly close. you should get a fairly light color light enough to give the white accents you want.

I don't have dark skin but mine is not pale as porcelain either, my dad's skin is nearly reddish brown (Let's just say if he were pale, I'd panic), and my mom has pinkish skin (Not pale at all, just pink.) so I end up with a kind of natural tan, and even if I don't go out for months I never get any paler. So, I apply a powder two or three tones lighter than my own, completely covering my face, covering everything I need to (I use a fairly small size brush, a little bigger than the end of a q-tip). Then I smooth it over with a kabuki brush. Afterward, I apply a stark white powder, it blends with the lighter skin tones and I look noticeably pale.

Like I said I truly think an alabaster cream or powder would do you some good, it's darker, and smoother looking than the white often used by goths.

Then again, it's what ever works for you and your skin type and tone. Just watch out where you apply it, with a darker skin tone you might have trouble covering everything without it looking off.

Hope I helped!

~Rave <3
Raveanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #23
Kij.

Well, I'm black/native american, and I like it too, but I don't think I'd look too good, being much darker than white. Plus, I've got that copper tint to my skin tone, and brown/copper and white face paint...? But maybe, if you're more of a lighter brown, say, like my mom, then sure. Or, you could do just a little so it's not like, caked on. Barely any kind of. I did once a while ago and it looked pretty good. Just, don't go overboard with it.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #24
Kij.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgot My Password View Post
You're an idiot.
You're a douche.
Kij. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #25
Raveanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgot My Password View Post