Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Elysiume

Interpret my dream?

A couple of weeks ago I had this really disturbing dream, and it's been playing on my mind ever since.
In my dream, I'm lying sprawled on my bedroom floor, and Joy Division - Love will tear us apart is playing really loud in the background. In one hand I'm holding a razorblade and I'm cutting my arm with it. Propped up next to me there's a bottle of nail varnish remover and a damp pillow, and I've obviously been inhaling it because I look kind of spaced out. I'm smiling serenely, but crying at the same time. There's a knock on the door, and I yell, "Don't come in!". I try to hide the bottle underneath my bed, but it gets knocked over and splashes onto the cuts on my arm. I cry out in pain, and the person comes into my room. It's a guy, and I have a feeling he's my brother (although I don't have a brother, only a sister). He looks down at me and his expression is a mix of disgust and pity. He bends down and pries the blade out of my hand. I laugh cruelly at him and he looks completely horrified. He leaves, and the song finishes. For about a second, I look tormented and guilty, but then I dab my finger on my arm and suck the blood off it. I smile again, then, I either pass out or fall asleep on the floor.
Normally I wouldn't talk about it, but this dream has really been getting to me. I've been wondering who the person was who I thought was my brother. It brings back a load of horrible memories that I've been trying to forget. Does anyone know what this dream might mean?
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Godslayer Jillian

It means you have a central nervous system complex enough to allow you REM sleep.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
It means you have a central nervous system complex enough to allow you REM sleep.
I kind of knew that already.
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Solumina

You have been trying to repress memories and they are coming back (albeit in a messed up kind of way) when you are unable to block them out. If you want the dreams to go away then you are going to have to deal with whatever those memories are.

As for the bit about the brother that you don't have, it could represent a friend that you consider to be very close or could just be a generic representation of family, hell it could be a lot of things.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Freedom Rising

Before I answer Elysiume - what do you think it means?

FR*
Freedom Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
vng2

Umm this is a guess. Theres something you've done in the past that you should feel guilty but really if you didn't do that you wouldn't be the person you are or you don't regret it but really it's something normally that morally one would feel guilty about?
vng2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #7
Jonathan

Here is my armchair analysis.

You're putting too much emphasis on being dark, depressing, and or tragic while you are awake. You probably act and dress in a manner to elicit reactions from other people.

By focusing your attention on these topics, your subconscious is jumbling any number of generic gothy images into a dream.

The guy is probably no one specific, but a manifestation of the rational part of your mind trying to pull the self-damaging cliche away from you. You feel a rapport with him, because he is just a normal dude not trying to impress anyone, and generally people like that are pleasant to be around. The disgust and pity he wears is probably something you see a lot in your day to day interactions with normal people.

Oh, and uh, you probably watched Donnie Darko recently for the Love will Tear us Apart Again.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Jaye Jang

Check out these sites.

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

http://www.sleeps.com/
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
NightmareInShiningArmour

Why can other people remember their dreams so vividly and when I wake up all I can remember is a single object or person, perhaps song from that dream.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
Duane

I have dreamed of drawing a magical girl manga, Shonen manga, and a Giant Robot manga... I see my face... and I be happy! I've found my calling card!! To be a manga artist, that is my calling!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye Jang
You beat me to it. I was going to put up the link to dream moods when after seeing this thread.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
ellelino

Elysiume, Dreams are a pretty copmlex mechanism that science is only begining to understand, and the basis of it is your unconscious combined with random images which come into your memory during your REM sleep...
in short, to sum up your dream, as any other dream, it is not the images that you see that hold the meaning, but rather their meaning to you, and most of the times dreams are a representation of your feelings, so you have to think back and remember how you felt during the dream, and analyze the parts..
you should figure it out
ellelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Solumina

Or we could go with Freuds view and say that it is all about unresolved sexual problems, specificlly about how you want to have sex with your mom
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Or we could go with Freuds view and say that it is all about unresolved sexual problems, specificlly about how you want to have sex with your mom
But she's a chick, so we'd have to go with Jung and say its about how she hates her mom for not giving her a penis and she wants to have sex with her father.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
gothicusmaximus

I'm reasonably certain that dream interpretation has been largely dismissed as bullshit by the psychological community. Dreams are considered by modern psychoanalysts to be nothing more than a meaningless coalescence of images and sensations encountered during waking life.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
Solumina

Dream interpretation is pretty much bunk, however, sometimes things that we have been thinking about and/or suppressing commonly manifest in our dreams (so if a dream is reminding you of something that you are/have been dealing with then you need to deal with that stuff if you want the dream to go away)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Jaye Jang

I pretty much agree with GM, although keeping a 'dream' journal can tip you off as to what is stressing you during waking life, so you know what is triggering the stress response and can, therefore, reasonably deal with it.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #18
Tam Li Hua

Well, if anything in those dreams has anything to do with your past...the cutting, the deranged smiles, having someone worried about you because of them...then I'd agree with the suppressed memories thing, and that you probably need to resolve the past in some way.

If not, then it could just be an overload of stress. Lately, I've had a lot of dreams about the house I first grew up in, but I've also been trying to plan a wedding, so I think it may be my brain's way of dealing with the stress in some way.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
Catch

I've been having weird dreams lately, but after the translation, it turns out they are good. It is funny how that happens.

One dream involved sleeping in bed next to an attractive guy, but sleeping in bed means becoming comfortable with yourself.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #20
dead_dreams

I had a dream that kind've went like that several months ago but I can't remember it
I don't know what your dream represents, sorry.
dead_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #21
Underwater Ophelia

I think it means you're going to win the lottery.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21 AM   #22
raggedyanne

I think it means Elysiume is going to be spending some quality time in a nice padded room with a pretty white coat on.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #23
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysiume
A couple of weeks ago I had this really disturbing dream, and it's been playing on my mind ever since.
In my dream, I'm lying sprawled on my bedroom floor, and Joy Division - Love will tear us apart is playing really loud in the background. In one hand I'm holding a razorblade and I'm cutting my arm with it. Propped up next to me there's a bottle of nail varnish remover and a damp pillow, and I've obviously been inhaling it because I look kind of spaced out. I'm smiling serenely, but crying at the same time. There's a knock on the door, and I yell, "Don't come in!". I try to hide the bottle underneath my bed, but it gets knocked over and splashes onto the cuts on my arm. I cry out in pain, and the person comes into my room. It's a guy, and I have a feeling he's my brother (although I don't have a brother, only a sister). He looks down at me and his expression is a mix of disgust and pity. He bends down and pries the blade out of my hand. I laugh cruelly at him and he looks completely horrified. He leaves, and the song finishes. For about a second, I look tormented and guilty, but then I dab my finger on my arm and suck the blood off it. I smile again, then, I either pass out or fall asleep on the floor.
Normally I wouldn't talk about it, but this dream has really been getting to me. I've been wondering who the person was who I thought was my brother. It brings back a load of horrible memories that I've been trying to forget. Does anyone know what this dream might mean?
My amazing analysis: You're a trying-too-hard-to-be-dark little pain in the ass who believes dreams have meaning and, instead of the logical path of shaking off this meaningless dream, you decided to search for meanings in it on a message board. My diagnosis: Waking the fuck up

If there was a site called getfuckingoverit.com I'd send you there.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:03 AM   #24
xXEducatedSocialiteXx

Joker, shut the fuck up.
Elysiume, ignore him. He sounds like a troll.
Anyway. I have a lot of dreams that tend not to have meanings.
Some are playing out my desires, some are playing out my greatest fears and some are giving me a hidden message.
This dream could be a mixture of different things.
It sounds like this brother figure could be a very close friend who cares a lot about you. In the dream he tries to help you, but when you laugh at him for it, he is hurt and shocked. This could mean that someone may try to help you in the future, but you may think that you don't need it, when in reality, you do.
As for the nail polish remover splashing onto your arm, that could represent an inner pain of somesort. Or it could mean nothing. I havn't been studying dreams for that long.
xXEducatedSocialiteXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 AM   #25
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXEducatedSocialiteXx
Joker, shut the fuck up.
Elysiume, ignore him. He sounds like a troll.
Anyway. I have a lot of dreams that tend not to have meanings.
Some are playing out my desires, some are playing out my greatest fears and some are giving me a hidden message.
This dream could be a mixture of different things.
It sounds like this brother figure could be a very close friend who cares a lot about you. In the dream he tries to help you, but when you laugh at him for it, he is hurt and shocked. This could mean that someone may try to help you in the future, but you may think that you don't need it, when in reality, you do.
As for the nail polish remover splashing onto your arm, that could represent an inner pain of somesort. Or it could mean nothing. I havn't been studying dreams for that long.
You've posted three posts and you think you know who's a troll you pretentious cock sucker?
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote