Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
KissMeDeadly

Attention: Google chrome, firefox, and macos is not safe!!

Or at least that's what Charter Tech Support told me when I called them because every time I tried to load a page, the connection was interrupted.

Whatever it was, it fixed itself, because everything is working fine now, but it astounds me that the woman had the stones to tell me to stop using Chrome and Firefox, and use internet explorer, because it's safest and it's the only one they can help me with.

I asked her what about people who don't own windows based computers.

She said they are out of luck.

Anybody else got any stories of terrible tech support?
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Grausamkeit

Mine(firefox) was doing that until I loaded one of the subscriptions into the adblock.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Kasdeja

I haven't had any problems with my firefox.

Props to Spooky Spencer for the 'shopped avatar!
If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.
Kasdeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Miss Absynthe

I use Chrome and never have issues with it. Well, none that can't be explained away by the fact that my router is possessed by Satan.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
wolf moon

I have ongoing issues with AT&T tech support. It's insanely frustrating to know that your account is in the hands of a person who has difficulty distinguishing between hardware and software. I shouldn't know more than the person trying to help me, dammit.

...I often go long periods of time without remembering that IE is a thing.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
ericcantonaxp

I've been accused of folly by a fool.

vending machine business
ericcantonaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Saya

I'm pretty sure IE is the least safe, when viruses are written to infect a browser they usually target IE. Since most people use it.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
KissMeDeadly

Yeah I use firefox and chrome respectively, it actually started doing it again, and I called (again.) The second lady was way more helpful. My modem and my router had fallen out of sync. Quick reset and everything was better.

I used to be terrible tech support, (kinda) only it was for loans. I worked in a call center here in TN. I serviced mortgages for Bank of America. I got two weeks of training and was expected to be able to answer complex legal questions. I had no fucking clue what I was doing, and, being paid minimum wage, I wasn't really much inclined to try that hard. Just read the script, and if there was a question I couldn't find an answer to, I made up some excuse why I needed to transfer the unlucky customer.

This wasn't just because I was a crappy employee, I was actually a pretty good one (98% quality when I left). That's just what our supervisors told us to do. We also had to essentially lie and tell honest people that loan modifications would fix their debts, but it really just put them into more debt because of it.

I also was told to assert that I'm a "senior mortgage agent" when I worked there a total of about 12-14 months. Nobody had a clue what they were doing, we all just transfered calls to each other.

Call centers suck, yo.

ADDITION:I should point out I had never, and still have never, actually been inside a Bank of America bank. In fact, the only people from the bank I ever even saw was the dude who trained us. Everybody else was just call center staff, and this particular call center was an independant contractor, they had many clients, including AT&T, and Comcast. Some credit company, too.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
ADDITION:I should point out I had never, and still have never, actually been inside a Bank of America bank. In fact, the only people from the bank I ever even saw was the dude who trained us. Everybody else was just call center staff, and this particular call center was an independant contractor, they had many clients, including AT&T, and Comcast. Some credit company, too.
This is why I ask to be transferred to tier 2 immediately.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote