Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Midnight Cinder

help: first time wearing heavy black mascara & back-combed hair

i've already practiced putting on a heavy layer of black mascara without my parents knowing. now tomorow i'm planning to wear it to school and in front of them. i'm also planning to rough up my hair a bit to really declare my individualality. i think my parents will say my hair is a mess or something. my mom is a very religeos christian and she doesnt understand the goth way. any advice from people who've been there; thanks.
Midnight Cinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Solumina

I'm not really sure what "the goth way" is or what religion has to do with anything. I'm going to go ahead and assume that you mean that your mother is very conservative. If that is the case then you may want to ease your way into this new look so it isn't a shock.

Your mentioned practicing with the mascara but have you spent any time practicing your hair? If you just go at it with a comb and tease the hell out of it you could very well end up with your hair looking like a mess.

Do what you want but keep in mind that you still live under your parent's roof so respect the fact that they don't want you going out looking like a fool.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
ShadowxMakerZ

When you say declare, it sounds like you just don't feel like being who you are at the moment... put it this way, if you were a lawyer your whole life thus far... you can't just suddenly jump into the world and say hey I'm a doctor now. Wth?

It takes time, so slowly start you're way up. Start with clothing that fit the "style" you're aiming for, then move onto the hair in what ever way you prefer to fit the category and lastly finish it off with LIGHT mascara that over time you can darken it as you please. As Solumina mentioned... you're under you parents roof so respect their rules. Remember they provide you with food, shelter and clothing.
ShadowxMakerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
Lady Ruthven

I know exactly what you mean because my family is very conservative too. If I were you I wouldn't do anything suddenly, as that is just likely to get them to come down harder on you about it. Go slowly and they shouldn't make too much of a fuss. If your hair and lashes are naturally dark anyway, the mascara won't show up too much, but if they're not (like mine) you'll have to be even more careful.

At the end of the day though, it's your life and your look, so don't let anyone curtail your individuality. Think that you are just toning it down voluntarily for your company (like you might for a job interview etc.) rather than being stopped from being you.

Remember I am here if you need any more advice. Good luck!
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote