Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #4251
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
... I was listening to CBC radio and they had a marine biologist on the line and callers could call in to ask questions about the whales, and he said in the wild he never heard of a human being killed by an wild orca. According to wikipedia there's been very few attacks at all and none fatal.
Right. So what we know is that in the wild, orcas in the ocean (where people hardly ever encounter them) very rarely attack humans and have never killed one. I could have guessed that. And in captivity, where humans interact with them on a daily basis, there have been quite a few attacks and deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I honestly do think though that by having these whales in captivity as they do, in isolation and limited space, would contribute to their aggression and stress ...
So one conclusion you could draw is that the environmental conditions made the animal act out. There is no way we can know if this is so or not, because we cannot read the emotional state of the animal. It is my opinion that the people who suggest this have an anti-captivity agenda to start with.

The other conclusion you could draw is that this is a wild animal and close proximity with it is dangerous. I can speculate as effectively as the experts that if humans were standing on shallow ledges right next to the same orca in the wild on a daily basis, there would be many, many attacks and fatalities ... probably more because of it being an uncontrolled environment.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #4252
lady_cthulhu

True, and thank you for the article. There is just one thing I forgot to mention, I have read killer whales do not assault people in the wild. It seems to be a phenomena confined to, well, areas where they are confined. This article talks about it a little bit:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...y-kill-people/

So that's why I brought it up, it seems so odd to me that there have been no instances of wild killer whales killing humans, despite our interaction with them.
I don't deny that SeaWorld's safety precautions need a serious overhaul, but I suspect that the confinement is actually making these animals more dangerous than they normally are. It's all guesswork true, but it is founded in fact.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #4253
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
So one conclusion you could draw is that the environmental conditions made the animal act out. There is no way we can know if this is so or not, because we cannot read the emotional state of the animal. It is my opinion that the people who suggest this have an anti-captivity agenda to start with.
I actually don't have an anit-captivity agenda, but I do think that living conditions for the whale could have been improved, such as allowing him to interact with other whales. I also don't think that the tanks are of an adequate size for such an animal. The problem I saw with Tilikum was that his main interaction with other whales was breeding, he didn't get to spend much time with them otherwise.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #4254
Alan

My philosophy professor ordered us to read Rebels Against The Future: The Luddites And Their War On The Industrial Revolution: Lessons For The Computer Age

I really don't think it's appropriate that he wastes our class in that.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #4255
vindicatedxjin

So at my house we were supposed to be getting new carpet put down yesterday... well we moved all our shit downstairs including furniture, I'm talking everything...and they never showed up. They called saying that they wouldn't make it till this morning. So I slept on the floor with a pillow last night..and I had to come to work in dirty clothes because all my shit was in a box piled underneath other things and I couldn't get to them. I also couldn't find any of my makeup so I look like I'm 10. I got stuck in an hour traffic... I fell down in the bathroom once I finally got to work. And I spilled my coffee all over my desk. Horrible horrible day.

Oh and it's raining

And my salad tasted horrible.

And I hate when people eat whataburger in front of me.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #4256
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My generation used to be simply more boring than younger generations, but now my generation is really starting to piss me off: the rough percentage of coworkers/family/friends etc. my age that are expounding the "Obama is a Muslim!" bullshit has now reached double digits. GET A FUCKING CLUE! EVEN IF HE WAS IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER IN A NATION WHERE FREEDOM TO WORSHIP IS CENTRAL!

Dipshits.
:grrrr:

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #4257
Solumina

Jacob and I have no idea what song our first dance is going to be to since apparently all of my choices suck and he can't seem to come up with any that actually work for a first dance, especially when you consider the fact that he doesn't know a whole lot of dances and like hell can I teach him to swing in less than two months (god only knows why all of the songs he likes are all swing anyway, maybe he just really hates the waltz or something)
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #4258
korinna5555

Soli, I suggest Last Dance, by The Cure. Flail around like Robert Smith and all that.

Some wanker stole my bike. It was chained up on my front porch, but they brought boltcutters. >:|
Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #4259
Ben Lahnger

Why do parents allow children in a movie theater to behave like a bunch of little heathens? I mean, really. My parents would have been mortified if I'd have done all the yelling and jumping and fidgiting and carrying on that the kids in this theater did tonight. I understand The Wizard of Oz is definitely a family film, and I expected all ages. But I didn't expect a bunch of parents to use it as an excuse to stop watching their kids. Literally, there was a row of 7 kids to the left of my girlfriend with no apparent adult supervision ... she's hoping she doesn't have a bruise from the elbow she was getting in her side all night.

And since when do movie theaters display movies by projecting a PlayStation 3 or Blu-Ray player on the screen. I saw the telltale "loading" icon on the screen before the movie started, and when it ended the screen resolved to a PS3 menu.

And why weren't the colors as bright and distinct as they are on my 47 inch flat screen at home?

I am glad I got to see it finally on the big screen, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 08-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #4260
Fruitbat

Ben Sorry to hear the movie was a little disappointing.

Yeah I have issues with parents who let their kids run riot in movies and shopping centres - that's what parks are for! How are the kids going to know where it is appropriate to be noisy and not if they can go crazy everywhere.

Oh and I also hate the whole "My baby's smarter than yours" which happens all the time in a group of parents.

It's not a competition folks.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #4261
ape descendant

If little kids are behaving in a way that may leave bruises on me, you bet your ass I'm going to correct them.

Its also a great way to get their parents to magically appear so that you can talk to them.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #4262
Ben Lahnger

I should qualify that statement. I was very irritated with the kids, I was a little piqued about the other technical details, but I really did enjoy seeing the movie in a theater with the big screen experience.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #4263
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
My daughter is such a bitch some days.

Ophelia: would you please slap her around a bit? Make her show some respect.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #4264
OnyxBat

Have you tried talking to her or saying no to anything she asks for.
If I see kids rioting in the movies I usally throw ice or popcorn at them then scream "Shut up you stupid little prick!".
Old 08-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #4265
The Divine Ms. M

I lost my Ipod w/all my goth music...I was trying to untangle my earphones from the pins on my purse & it pulled the Ipod right out of my pocket onto one of those large drain things. When I bent to try & pick it up, the earphone wire moved causing the Ipod to fall & unhook from the earphones...I'm lucky that I have another Ipod, but still, now it's gonna be a pain in the ass whenever I want to change my music...grrr fu mercury for being in retrograde!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #4266
OnyxBat

You have to call state to get it back.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #4267
The Divine Ms. M

Thanks for the advice...but I'm sure it's ruined by now anyway...'tis ok, I've accepted the loss lol

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #4268
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
Have you tried talking to her or saying no to anything she asks for.
If I see kids rioting in the movies I usally throw ice or popcorn at them then scream "Shut up you stupid little prick!".
If I saw you behave that way I would identify you as one of the juveniles I have a problem with. The answer to misbehaving kids is NOT retaliating in kind.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #4269
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
If I saw you behave that way I would identify you as one of the juveniles I have a problem with. The answer to misbehaving kids is NOT retaliating in kind.
You really do have to wonder where people get the idea that yelling "Shut up you stupid little prick!" at excitable children is the best way to defuse the situation.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #4270
OnyxBat

Hey I'm not naturally a mean person I just can't stand loud little kids.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #4271
Ben Lahnger

But in this case, you feel that the irritation of dealing with loud little kids gives you the right to behave worse than them.

That's pitiful behavior for anyone over the age of 14.

If I have kids making noise and being a distraction in a theater, it makes me want to talk to their parents about controlling them a bit.

If I encounter adults or near adults who choose to throw ice at little kids and then scream "Shut up you stupid little prick" at them, it makes me want to call over an usher and get that vulgar idiot thrown out of the theater.

By the way, this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Let me join my voice with the cacophony of others here in stating that it is my official opinion that you are an idiot ... and appear to be embarrassingly proud of your idiocy.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4272
OnyxBat

Oh well, but hey that's why they invented the kid leash they should also add a mouth piece. You know what's better than getting there parents, getting the manager.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #4273
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain View Post
My daughter is such a bitch some days.

Ophelia: would you please slap her around a bit? Make her show some respect.
Nah, but I'll tell you how to get her to stop:
Kick her ass out.

Isn't she an adult?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #4274
Ben Lahnger

Yeah, but based on the kids behavior and the behavior you said you would engage in, I would only call the manager on you.

Wait! What kind of twat suggests kids should get a ball-gag?

You ARE much more than a racist or an idiot.

You are a full blown tragedy ... a waste of oxygen.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 08-26-2010, 05:02 PM   #4275
OnyxBat

Fine your thoughts not mine.