Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:40 AM   #1
disorder

Thoughtful thoughts.

We did this today at school in my english class. There were some pretty interesting and touching replies, and I thought it'd be good to try it out here.

So, if everything material you loved were destroyed, what would you miss most, and why?

And, if you were to die tomorrow, what would you regret?
disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Kristin

I would miss my laptop the most, because it's my doorway to most of the people I know in my life.

I would regret putting things off so long that I never got any of my dreams accomplished, even though they're so close to my grasp right now.
Kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Apathy's_Child

I would miss all the stuff I made - writing, drawings, comic strips, that kind of stuff. Everything else is replaceable, but I'd never get back the hours I spent, happy as a pig in shit, surrounded by pieces of paper.

I don't really regret anything major, to be honest. Maybe being such an asshole to my mom when I was a young teenager. Not that I was terrible, but that's about al I can think of. I'm sure I'll rack up some bigger ones over the years, but until then that's it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #4
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I would miss my cell phone the most because I have 500 phone numbers in it (the maximum) and I use it even more than my computer to talk to my family and friends.

I have lived a full life and wouldn't regret anything if I died tomorrow.
Besides, the up side is that I could then come back and haunt you all!

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 AM   #5
DeathToLems

If the Internet died I would probably be really bored but then it would give me the opportunity to read the books that have been piling up that I was meaning to read.
If my cat died I would be really sad. I wouldn't replace her right away although my mum said we should so it wouldn't be so hard when she does die. I'm not so sure though.

I regret putting my hand up in class and asking more questions. I regret not learning more when I had the chance. I regret asking that guy out. But actually the more I regret the more I think It wouldn't matter, because if I was to die tomorrow I would have spent my life doing all these things then be dead. I suppose if you lived a full life you would feel better about yourself for doing everything you wanted to do to be happy but once your dead what does it matter? Seriously? What good is it if you studied for years and got a great job if you're just gonna be dead one day. The most that could be said when you're gone "She was a talented girl, She lived a full life, She worked hard for her living" "she left £????? in her will for <name> etc etc" that's about it.
It seems we would spend our life making money to just give it away when we die. because all thats left is possessions and money which get given to other people. Unless you asked to be buried with them but still, they just go into the ground and rot away. Oo
The only cure for life is death. Get me to the other side already so I can stop wasting my time on this test.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:37 AM   #6
ZombieG

Pens and pencils. I can't talk as well as I can write.

I'd regret not writing more letters to my best friend.
ZombieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
ZombieG

Ok, so I get the need to explain it after the time has expired. Anyway, I've always fantasized about getting and receiving mail since I was a kid. As simplistic as e-mail is, there's something extremely intoxicating about personal communication. Seeing curvy maneuvers or angular abstractions native to someone's handwriting. It doesn't really take but a few minutes to send someone an instant message, but something about a handwritten letter is more thought out. Not to mention, being the kind of weird asshole smooze hybrid that I am, I have to get the last compliment in and make sure that whoever it is doesn't have time to retort before actually letting it sink in.

So yeah.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #8
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieG
Ok, so I get the need to explain it after the time has expired. Anyway, I've always fantasized about getting and receiving mail since I was a kid. As simplistic as e-mail is, there's something extremely intoxicating about personal communication. Seeing curvy maneuvers or angular abstractions native to someone's handwriting. It doesn't really take but a few minutes to send someone an instant message, but something about a handwritten letter is more thought out. Not to mention, being the kind of weird asshole smooze hybrid that I am, I have to get the last compliment in and make sure that whoever it is doesn't have time to retort before actually letting it sink in.

So yeah.
I used to write my mate letters when I lived in greece for a few years. I bought all this really cute writing paper (which funny enough I was sorting out some junk in my room and found them all again). ^_^
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
ZombieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
I used to write my mate letters when I lived in greece for a few years. I bought all this really cute writing paper (which funny enough I was sorting out some junk in my room and found them all again). ^_^
Yeah, there's a woman who I'm really close to, and our relationship is weird to say the least. We write each other letters and post-cards, send DIY stuff we've made, books, shitty horror movies and whatnot. It's always the letters that seem to be our favorite parts, though.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

I would miss my poetry and the keepsake items from people I care about.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Mir

My guitars.

Nothing. Done everything I possibly could have, and then some.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #12
DarkenedReveries

If all of my drawings, paintings and writings were to be destroyed I would be destroyed.

I would regret the fact that for years I have seen the world as a horrid place devoid of anything good or worthwhile, and as I am now starting to see the light, I actually want to accomplish something and live my life to the fullest. So dying now and cutting everything short would, in blatantly frank terms, completely suck.
DarkenedReveries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #13
Godslayer Jillian

I think I would miss my jacket the most. I have put a lot of effort into it.

And I would regret all the projects that I will never accomplish now that I'm dying. I'm really afraid of dying right now in my life because I do believe a revolution on the fringes is possible within my lifetime, and dying will be a huge setback for human progress in my town right now.
Let me solidly establish my newsletter, let me start a chapter of Food Not Bombs and Comida No Migra, let me write many a spoken word that will stick in the underground, let me help build at least three community gardens, let me squat several buildings to give to the homeless, and let me know that there will be many more people better than me that will continue on that direction, and then I'll be good to go, whether I'm 19 or 79.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder
So, if everything material you loved were destroyed, what would you miss most, and why?
I would probably miss my books the most. There are some cloth and leather bound books of poetry that my grandmother gave to me. They are well over a hundred years old and I would most definitely mourn their passing. And every book on that shelf, when I pick it up, gives me a sense of what I was feeling the last time I read it.

And I would probably miss my laptop also. All my poetry is stored on there, along with most of my short stories. It is also where I save my favorite recipes and I would miss those dearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder
And, if you were to die tomorrow, what would you regret?
That is a more difficult question. I would regret not getting a chance to live with my boyfriend. I would regret not telling each one of my friends how much they've helped me. I would regret not being able to work in my grandpa's shop with him again. I would regret not being able to tell my boyfriend how much I loved him, no matter how much he pisses me off sometimes. Most of all, I would regret not being able to give birth to my baby girl.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote