Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
Miss Absynthe

Heh.. the guy in the cap looks like he's photobombing.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Valhalla

Nobody deserves to live on the streets/go hungry/whatever else. Drugs or no drugs. But if anyone insists on drug tests then they better be willing to pay for these people to go to rehab too.

I don't do drugs, but from the people I've met I'm led to believe that at least 25% of Newfoundlanders smoke weed. If we implemented something like this an awful lot of people here would be left to their own devices.

I've also seen people who are/have been on benefits that have voted yes to drug testing on facebook polls. I find that a little sad, and a little strange. Maybe they think it would help get rid of some of the assumptions people make? Either way, it's time people stopped thinking that poor means bad person.

This is one of those times where I can't understand how other people think the way they do.
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #28
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm trying to find the logic in punishing people who are already pretty bad off. It doesn't make sense to me. It's like taking jobs away from people because they make less than 20,000 dollars a year.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #29
Miss Absynthe

Not to mention what it means for the people who use illicit substances to self-medicate so that they can function...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #30
Saya

I starting foaming at the mouth when during CSI the news for whatever channel that is (I'm old and was crocheting and not paying attention) was all like "OUTRAGE AS TAX PAYERS MONEY PAY FOR PRISONER'S SEX CHANGE."
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #31
Miss Absynthe

OMG.. that whole thing is driving me insane.

The woman is in a male prison. She has had to fight for every single aspect of trans-specific medical care that she's received. And now that a District Court Judge has decided that she should be allowed to have the surgery, the state is calling for the case to be appealed.

I'm curious as to how much money would have been saved if her treatments were just given the go ahead instead of years and years of court hearings.

Then again.. we can't be seen to be showing compassion to people in prison.
It's not like the degree of societies civilisation can be judged on the way we treat our prisoners.

Oh, wait...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #32
BourbonBoy

Seriously. It's not uncommon to hear "Jails are too soft" nowadays and whenever I hear anything like that I ask, "So what do you propose? Locking criminals up in public cages so people can fling feces and rotten fruit at them? Drop them off on a deserted island where they become the kind of savages we heard about in the most remote regions of the world?"

I have yet to hear a proper answer for any of those questions.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #33
Miss Absynthe

People who think that prison is too soft aren't understanding the reality of what prison is.

People don't understand that you aren't just putting someone in a cell, you are sentencing them to be victims of a system that is run on a hierarchy of violence. Take a look at the instances of physical and sexual assault that occurs in prison - as a society that sentences a person to be incarcerated we need to understand what those incarcerated people are going to be put through.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #34
AshleyO

We do. That's why we have jokes about it.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
BourbonBoy

http://youtu.be/FPCM-cqsF-0
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote