Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
PortraitOfSanity

Hehe, yea my grandma buried the St. Joseph statue in her yard too. That always makes me laugh.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
Albert Mond

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Hehe, yea my grandma buried the St. Joseph statue in her yard too. That always makes me laugh.
Hehe... Catholics.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #28
Unimatrix 00

You people have no right.

Do you mock every tradition this way? Do you mock the eating of a turkey at Thanksgiving? Do you mock July the 4th fireworks? These little customs are things that we do, and believe in. They should never be mocked, even if you don't agree with them. One word: RESPECT.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #29
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00 View Post

Do you mock every tradition this way? Do you mock the eating of a turkey at Thanksgiving? Do you mock July the 4th fireworks? These little customs are things that we do, and believe in. They should never be mocked, even if you don't agree with them. One word: RESPECT.
Like respecting the fact that a ***** nine year old should be allowed to get an abortion?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_172810.html
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #30
Tam Li Hua

I think it's okay, but I don't agree with some of the viewpoints theologically. The Bible doesn't back up the idea of praying to Mary so she can relay her message to Christ. In fact, it says we should pray to God and Christ directly, and that we need no other mediator.

On the other hand, I've been to Catholic ceremonies, and find them very interesting.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
Unimatrix 00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Like respecting the fact that a ***** nine year old should be allowed to get an abortion?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_172810.html
As I said, the Catholic Church is not perfect, but we're doing better than most other religions.

And thank you Tam Li Hua.

x
Old 03-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #32
Saya

Quote:
As I said, the Catholic Church is not perfect, but we're doing better than most other religions.
Which one? If you're gonna say Islam, don't make me bring up abortion clinic bombings or Northern Ireland.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #33
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
The Catholic Church accepts women? Why aren't women allowed to be Catholic priests, but almost every protestant church has female clergy?
Actually, women in leadership positions in most protestant churches is just as touchy of a subject as it is in the Catholic Church. However, women not being able to be clergy members =/= women being degraded or accepted in a church.

Quote:
The Catholic Church is almost 100% responsible for the perceived inferiority of women in today's Western society.
How so?

Quote:
The Catholic Church accepts "gay peeps"? This is so stupid I don't even want to go into it, the Vatican has repeatedly condemned homosexuality.
Yet, just like in some Protestant circles, there -are- some Catholic churches that accept homosexual clergy.

Quote:
You accept people of different religions? By putting them on a stake and lighting them on fire?
I haven't read anything about Unimatrix burning witches at the stake. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of any Catholics burning anyone at the stake for any reason for several centuries. And those who did do such things were, quite obviously, insane. Since then, the Catholic church has calmed down quite a bit, and I think you have to evaluate it based on what it's like today rather than what it was like several hundred years ago.

Last edited by Tam Li Hua; 03-15-2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Tam Li Hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:

And thank you Tam Li Hua.

x
Ah. The evils of Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Unitarianism, and myriad others.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond View Post
Ah. The evils of Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Unitarianism, and myriad others.
Those Jains are downright evil bastards, the whole lot of them. Just look at them there, sitting, not harming anything.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #36
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimatrix 00
I don't know if "better" is a good way to put it, since "better" is relative to each religion. However, I will say that the RC is much more peace-minded than it was in the Middle Ages.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:40 PM   #37
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
Actually, women in leadership positions in most protestant churches is just as touchy of a subject as it is in the Catholic Church. However, women not being able to be clergy members =/= women being degraded or accepted in a church.
It's sexism, plain and simple.
Quote:
How so?
Catholicism is the largest-and one of the oldest-of the forms of Christianity. It has had immense impact, amplified by many invasions and killings in its name.
Quote:
Yet, just like in some Protestant circles, there -are- some Catholic churches that accept homosexual clergy.
Oh. So not all Catholics are archaic bigots. That sure is refreshing.
Quote:
I haven't read anything about Unimatrix burning witches at the stake. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of any Catholics burning anyone at the stake for any reason for several centuries. And those who did do such things were, quite obviously, insane.
It came from the top of the church. What's more, the beliefs that drove it are still there. The only reason they don't do it much now is that they aren't as powerful.
Quote:
Since then, the Catholic church has calmed down quite a bit, and I think you have to evaluate it based on what it's like today rather than what it was like several hundred years ago.
Actually, most Governments stopped kissing the Vatican's ass. To imply that the Vatican just calmly and willingly released its iron fist out of mercy or logic is silly.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #38
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Those Jains are downright evil bastards, the whole lot of them. Just look at them there, sitting, not harming anything.
It scares me half to death seeing them do that. I say we convert them to our religion through scares and temptations. What shall we call our great Church?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #39
Pyre

Quote:

I actually do mock these things, though I have to admit turkey day is delicious despite being based upon lies. Delicious, delicious lies.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #40
Saya

Quote:
It scares me half to death seeing them do that. I say we convert them to our religion through scares and temptations. What shall we call our great Church?
Trollism? The Church Of The Holy Heckling?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Trollism? The Church Of The Holy Heckling?
Genius!
blacktext
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #42
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
It's sexism, plain and simple.
No more than recognizing a woman from a man is sexism, however.

Some folks simply believe this is the best way to follow God, and they aren't oppressed, abused, or offended in the slightest.

Quote:
Catholicism is the largest-and one of the oldest-of the forms of Christianity. It has had immense impact, amplified by many invasions and killings in its name.
Granted.

Quote:
Oh. So not all Catholics are archaic bigots. That sure is refreshing.
Modern Catholics aren't archaic bigots any more or less than anyone else.

Quote:
It came from the top of the church. What's more, the beliefs that drove it are still there. The only reason they don't do it much now is that they aren't as powerful.
It's hard to say if that's the only reason, but I will agree that losing power has made the Catholic Church more humble. Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Quote:
Actually, most Governments stopped kissing the Vatican's ass. To imply that the Vatican just calmly and willingly released its iron fist out of mercy or logic is silly.
You're correct; wresting control from the Catholic Church was a long, bloody battle, but one that is quite some time in the past.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #43
Saya

Quote:
Genius!
blacktext
We can worship these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK6TV...eature=related
Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #44
Tam Li Hua

[quote=Albert Mond;518830]
Quote:
Whoa! We can post pics now? Sweet!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #45
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

Whoa! We can post pics now? Sweet!
I didn't even notice!

BE GOOD ALBERT. I know if someone abuses the picture posting privilege and they take it away from us again, it'll be your doing!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #46
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Do you mock every tradition this way? Do you mock the eating of a turkey at Thanksgiving? Do you mock July the 4th fireworks?
I mock quite a few things, including T-day and Independence Day at some point, I'm sure.

Respecting someone's religious beliefs and respecting a T-day turkey aren't quite the same thing. :P
Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #47
Pyre

Quote:
No more than recognizing a woman from a man is sexism, however.
No. . . that's recognition of biological differences that is innate to all species. Perceiving sex differentiation is not a form a sexism. I fail to see how stereotypes play into that.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #48
Godslayer Jillian

Clearly it's not sexism because clearly the Bible clearly says that women clearly are inferior to men.
That's a fact. Read your Jesus, people!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM   #49
Tam Li Hua

Jilly: Have you ever spoken to women in these more conservative religious denominations and ask if they feel they are discriminated against?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #50
Saya

Quote:
Jilly: Have you ever spoken to women in these more conservative religious denominations and ask if they feel they are discriminated against?
It happens.

"The organizer of this event, who will become a priest Monday, is Joan Clark Houk, 66. With a wide smile and cropped salt-and-pepper hair, she is a cradle Catholic who remembers May crownings, daily rosaries and Catholic Daughters. Like many other Catholic women -- myself included -- her love for the faith, the Eucharist and the Mass, the rituals and traditions, is deep and indelible. "From my birth as a Catholic through this day, I have never doubted my Catholicism, never been away from the Church. I am Catholic, and will always be Catholic, " she wrote in her letter to Bishop Donald W. Wuerl, then head of the Pittsburgh Diocese, telling him about her upcoming ordination. She also took aim at Canon 1024, which restricts ordination to baptized men. "It is a sin for the Church to discriminate against women and blame God for it," she declared. "In obedience to the Gospel of Jesus, I will disobey this unjust law.""

http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...women_priests/