Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Elysiume

Label Snobbery

Well I finally gave up. I've been saving for a corset for a while now, but I was so far off my target, I just thought, "Bah. Forget it!" and spent my cash on a random pair of boots. So then, in the city centre with a fiver and my train ticket home, I decided to wander around Primark (a mainstream, cheap, low-quality store) for a while until my train came. A few minutes later, while looking for cheap fishnets, I stumbled across the only corset in the store. It wasn't that fancy, a black silk affair, with a bit of a frill around the top. But it was only a fiver, so I thought "Why not?"
Anyway, so the next day I'm in The Boston Tea Party, sipping a cappucino and reading a book, when someone I vaguely know comes in. A friend of a friend I think. I gesture for her to come sit with me, and she does. I'm wearing a black ****** ish dress with my new corset over it, some DIY fishnet armwarmers and black Doc Martens. The dress is my greatest DIY achievement yet, made from a load of different old skirts and shirts, it looks pretty good and I'm quite proud of it. (Particularly since I had to conquer my fear of needles in order to actually stitch it).
So this girl compliments my outfit and asks me where I got it. I reply proudly that the dress and armwarmers are homemade, to which she frowns snootily and asks about my corset. I say, "It's just a cheap one, from Primark. I was really surprised to find it in there."

A few days later, my friend phone's me, and asks what I did to offend Alicia. I ask who that is, and I realise it's the girl from the cafe. I say, "Nothing, we just chatted for a while." My friend then tells me that this girl has been calling me "a cheap poser." I'm outraged! DIY is supposed to be valued and encouraged in the goth scene. I don't mind that some people only wear clothes from expensive alternative stores, but I just hate it when they look down on others who have enough sense not to waste about Ł70 on something you could get for Ł5 in a mainstream store, just because it's "more goth".

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Malice In Wonderland

I have that exact corset.
I'm saving it for when The Rocky Horror show comes back.

As for looking down on cheap clothes.
I don't really get in my group of friends.
I hang out with people from Norwich's punk scene.
Although I get epople looking down at me just for looking ratty.
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
HellforgedX

Screw 'em. I get all my clothes @ Goodwill (donation center thrift store) & Savers (same thing).
Old 11-10-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Solumina

I get most of my clothing from Target, I really don't see what the problem is.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
Serren

I like Primark, I get a lot of my pj's and some of my underwear from there. They actually go in a lot for what is technically copy right theft and use designs that are selling well in more expensive shops and then pay the fine when their bought to court, its cheaper that way. So there clothes can actually be more or less identical to stuff which is more than twice the price in other shops.

I don't like label snobbery either. Some expensive clothes are really nice and I think worth shelling our for, some are not that dis similar to others which sell in cheaper shops.

I got a corset from new look the other day (another cheap high street chain). It was a lot less than some shops charge so I thought why not?

I've also got a load of clothes from a vintage clothes shop in town which are very cheap and 2nd hand but very individual, you won't get another copy anywhere.

I will pop into primark and see if I can see the corset.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
Screw 'em. I get all my clothes @ Goodwill (donation center thrift store) & Savers (same thing).
Go team. i got a skull T from Wall Mart for like a buck fifty, in which I plan to cut up and pin to the back of an over t at some point.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Saya

I like thrift stores, although its hard to find things in my size that are nice, seems like people only donate their "before I went on a diet" clothes, or the "back when I was skinny" stuff from the eighties.

Generally I get clothes from the mall, going from store to store and finding what they have on the clearance racks.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
Cicero

Haha, I loved Primark when I was shopping in London. Green leopard print jeans for the equivalent of $20! Half the price of the cheapest jeans in Australia.

But anyway, anyone who gives a shit about brands and owning expensive clothes is a fuckwit. The only thing an overly pricey outfit tells me is that someone knows how to waste their money. A gorgeous DIY creation, on the other hand, is impressive and awesome.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Opteron_Man

I buy all of my clothes at Vaulue Village, its a thrift store. I don't mind.
Except underwear ofcourse. All my leather jackets I have are from there.
I bought a nice black leather knee length coat with a fucked up zipper, so I paid $30 to get it replaced. I had gotten another ring for my lip so I took the old one and put it on the new zipper. I have a titanium zipper pull! Yay!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #10
HellforgedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Except underwear ofcourse.
Yeah, forgot to mention that. No hand-me-down underoos.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
pixy_dust

^ no way!

there's is no difference between a goth who buys expensive goth clothing for the label, than snobby girls who buys top fashion label stuff for glam and reputation. To me personally, alternative culture means 'fuck the mainstream'.
pixy_dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
XxBloodyrosexX

yeah, Most of my clothes 90%, came from assorted thrift stores like salvation army and good will. I also have a good amount of DIY. I also have this sweet pair of purple skinny jeans (I <3 purple pants) that I got for 6 bucks. People thought I went to Hot Topic and bought them for like 50 or 60 dollars. (never mind I hardly go there... I did get a nice sweatshirt there once...)The only really expensive thing in my wardrobe is a great leather jacket my father brought back from Munchen! I loves Munchen leather! or my retainers, they're like over 300 dollars to replace... =P
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #13
jack_the_knife

A lot of my clothing is from thrift stores, army surplus stores or charity shops. I think label snobbery is hilarious, because a shirt from a thrift store will most likely be a blank shirt from the same factory that makes the desirable brand name ones come from.
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #14
a morbid curiosity

I customise and mix up my clothes so much no-one ever knows where I got them from, which is usually a charity shop, or my relatives. My friends and I actually look down on kids our age that insist on only wearing big brand labels. They never seem to develop their own sense of style.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
stolide

Most of my clothes are from walmart or target... I'm not sure why where you buy the clothes matters though...
stolide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #16
KontanKarite

You're not being DIY enough.

Actually, you're only going to get applauds from us. Good work on the dress and getting over your fears of needles.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Elysiume

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
You're not being DIY enough.

Actually, you're only going to get applauds from us. Good work on the dress and getting over your fears of needles.
Thankyou.
I probably would've got over it eventually anyway, but I felt it was important to learn to sew. By the way, I got my phobia from stepping on a needle when I was five. I was just walking around in the street when I stepped on it, and it went right through the sole my shoe into my foot. I got tetanus.
Maybe that's why I always wear shoes with incredibly thick soles?

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #18
Solumina

yeash that sounds rather nasty, I'm glad you were able to get over the fear though
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Zakyath

I'm worthless with a needle, I barely have any DIY. I just wear what I look good; some stuff are cheap gothic clothes, some are expensive gothic clothes, some are expensive mainstream some cheap mainstream. Don't really care what the price tag says. I often never let the name of the label show, if it shows I often rip it off. They are often pretty ugly, imho.
Zakyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Ahsatan

Uh what a snobby wench =( That really makes me mad, especially beacuse before Hot Topic, if you were a Goth you were on your own w/ DIY. But anywho Congrats for your crafty-ness ^__^ And keep on with the tea-parties!
Ahsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #21
maggot

Hahahahahahahhahahahhaha don't be outraged; that person's incredibly stupid. Throw rocks at them.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #22
KontanKarite

Holy shit, it's Maggot!

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #23
pixy_dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBloodyrosexX
I also have this sweet pair of purple skinny jeans (I <3 purple pants) that I got for 6 bucks.
gimme 5! I bought a pair for 10bux, damn didn't beat your price. I get my clothes from random places too, plus a bit of DIY.

ow...if I stepped on a needle, I'd definitely be scarred for life.
pixy_dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #24
Cousin_Itt

In my eyes if a person's level of "gothness" is determined by how much they spend on poorly made, overpriced, mass produced clothing from "alternative" stores than they are definitely a poseur.
Cousin_Itt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 AM   #25
Maggoty Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellforgedX
Goodwill is the shit.

I'm wearing this corset I got at wallmart for ten bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Curvation-Waist-...08116013r25611

It's really comfy.

And Elysiume, I tend to judge an outfits awesomeness by how much it cost. If that girl says you're a cheap poser, I say she's an expensive one. Anyone that's rich could buy a whole bunch of HT clothing, but it takes a real individual to make their own. Good job on buying some decent boots though. Lemme guess, she was wearing sheezy ones like these: http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/sto...=1226492978304