Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #101
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryle
Somehow I actually find this to be quite sad. The author of this thread is trying to set the blame for the actions of one person, onto the shoulders of another.
That sentence made no sense at all. Really.

Quote:
Let me give you an example of how this cannot work.

A man goes to a baseball game and is watching the Cubs play the Cardinals. It doesnt matter who the teams are, but he is watching them play. He is there with a hundred thousand other fans. He meets a girl of 12, who slipped by security with a fake ID claiming she was 13. They hit it off and leave the baseball game together. In secret they plot to kill the girls family. At the next game, it is discovered that they killed the parents. So the news media blames the ballpark for the tragedy, just to score an easy cop out for the crime. They blame the umpires, and stadium security. The stadium is offended by these accusations and fires back a statement, that people just dont like baseball. So then we have a disgruntled fan stand up and piss about how the whole ballpark should be shut down.
Um......a ballpark is a whole bunch different that a RATING COMMUNITY. Personally, I find you ballpark analogy to be a bit weak. I don’t like baseball, so I would ask them to tear down the stadium. Wait a second....that would mean less ‘preps’ and ‘jocks’ for the members of VF to talk about. Wouldn’t that make you happy?

Quote:
Can someone please tell me at exactly what point the ballpark fucked up? How can you blame someone or something that had ZERO to do with an action?

Until you can answer both of those questions, your entire platform is baseless and ignorant.

Have a spiffy day.
Let’s see....the ballpark screwed up by just existing. Ballparks should not exist because they allow the growth of a jock mentality, that ends up hurting kids who post on VF who call themselves ‘individuals’. It’s funny how all of those ‘individuals’ act exactly the same. Isn’t it? Anyway, on to the second part of the question. Ballparks are the center of all that is evil in the galaxy. They are way points for lost aliens and zombies. For some reason zombies like ballparks and go to them whenever they have the chance. It’s quite a thing to see, zombie’s gathering at a ballpark late at night singing show tunes.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #102
Wise Child

I feel kind of sorry for kids nowadays - because of the media, the actions of a few psychotic little shits are known by the whole country, and the rest of them are kept under a tight rein over things like the internet. It's a pity when roughly 70-80% of them have enough of a brain that you could allow them to roam the internet completely free of supervision with no real problems.

Still, though, if your site has over a million members, I guess that problematic 20-30% is a lot. Worth getting a few moderators in. I mean, given that it's so popular (why, I have no idea), the place must make money. (Are moderators paid? I really have no idea.)

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:40 AM   #103
Bawb

What is vampirefreaks?

Doesnt sound like a very nice place. Then again, this horrorgirl just came off sounding like the very 12 years olds she is trying to slam.

That was a rather childish rebuttal to that Ryle person.
Bawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #104
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise Child
I feel kind of sorry for kids nowadays - because of the media, the actions of a few psychotic little shits are known by the whole country, and the rest of them are kept under a tight rein over things like the internet. It's a pity when roughly 70-80% of them have enough of a brain that you could allow them to roam the internet completely free of supervision with no real problems.

Still, though, if your site has over a million members, I guess that problematic 20-30% is a lot. Worth getting a few moderators in. I mean, given that it's so popular (why, I have no idea), the place must make money. (Are moderators paid? I really have no idea.)
It all comes down to the owner not having enough moderators on that site. I don't know whether that is due to him being ignorant or greedy. It has to be one of the two.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #105
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawb
What is vampirefreaks?

Doesnt sound like a very nice place. Then again, this horrorgirl just came off sounding like the very 12 years olds she is trying to slam.

That was a rather childish rebuttal to that Ryle person.
Let me guess. You are yet another member of that site coming over here and complaining. Thanks for your vote of confidence! :-) I'm beginning to have my very own fan club! That has always been my dream!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #106
Bawb

I dont even know what it is, where is this vampirefreaks? No I am not a member of it, whatever it is.

I just think that whoever that ryle person was, that they made a good point, and the horrorgirl lady totally dodged it by spewing some random crap about jocks. It was kind of lame to just ignore the meat of the post.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:48 AM   #107
horrorgirl

Quote:
I dont even know what it is, where is this vampirefreaks? No I am not a member of it, whatever it is.

I just think that whoever that ryle person was, that they made a good point, and the horrorgirl lady totally dodged it by spewing some random crap about jocks. It was kind of lame to just ignore the meat of the post.
It could be that I ignored the 'meat of the post' because it was a bunch of troll inspired drivel. For somebody who has just joined the site you sure are getting off on the wrong foot.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #108
Wise Child

But did horrorgirl not also make a good point about the fact that such incidents could be greatly reduced with the implementation of a decent moderating system? And did Ryle not dodge that by failing to address it? Given that Ryle also used a really lame analogy involving a ballpark that made no sense at all. I have to say, of the two, I personally lean more towards horrogirl's point of view. (Partly because I'm not entirely certain what the other guy was trying to say, of course. But still.)

Old 06-05-2006, 07:52 AM   #109
Bawb

Well I seem to be the unbiased third party here, the very person you should be trying to convince. Frankly I think both sides have issues. I actually read this entire, dreadfully long, thread and noticed a few things.

1. The regular people on here really hate this vampirefreaks
2. The newer people on here seem to be defending it, and have much better points than the older members. So much better than I am actually taking them as havign more merit, since they seemed to know what they were talking about (specifically the ghost guy)
3. I find it odd that someone needs to bash a person because of their affiliation with something.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #110
Bawb

I actually got what Ryle meant. According to him, the girl was posing as a person of legal age. That is very difficult if not impossible to prove on a website. Moreso if the minimum age is 13, as most verification systems use credit cards to prove ages.

He was trying to say I think that the girl had gotten past the security and was undetected afterwards cause there was nothing to look for.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #111
horrorgirl

Quote:
Well I seem to be the unbiased third party here, the very person you should be trying to convince. Frankly I think both sides have issues. I actually read this entire, dreadfully long, thread and noticed a few things.

2. The newer people on here seem to be defending it, and have much better points than the older members. So much better than I am actually taking them as havign more merit, since they seemed to know what they were talking about (specifically the ghost guy)
3. I find it odd that someone needs to bash a person because of their affiliation with something.
So, you are slamming all of the board regulars because they didn't come across as intelligent as the trolls? You are going to have a great time here! It is obvious to me that you are a member of that site coming over here trying to defend it by pretending to be a disinterested third party. Wow....I didn't think you guys were that creative!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #112
Bawb

No, I am pointing out the fact that instead of debating it with them, you resorted to flaming "jocks" in general.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #113
horrorgirl

Quote:
I actually got what Ryle meant. According to him, the girl was posing as a person of legal age. That is very difficult if not impossible to prove on a website. Moreso if the minimum age is 13, as most verification systems use credit cards to prove ages.

He was trying to say I think that the girl had gotten past the security and was undetected afterwards cause there was nothing to look for.
You obviously either don't know that whole story, or are just chosing to be ignorant. Actually, the guy who helped the girl kill her parents said to people on the site that he was going to do something evil to the girl's parents a couple of days before it happened. So, that means that some people on the site knew something was going to go down. Oops!

Maybe they should make the age 18+. I mean, wouldn't that cause a lot of the younger people to unjoin the site? Oh wait, that would mean less money for the owner.

For somebody who is 'disinterested' you sure are trying to defend a crap site to the death.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #114
Wise Child

Quote:

Hmm. Personally I think it's a little like saying, "hey, it's not our fault someone got beaten to death in our club - we had bouncers on the door!" Sure, but did you have a couple inside, trotting around keeping an eye on things, like most clubs do? You know, where things are actually likely to kick off? Or did you assume that once they've managed to get in okay, they'll *probably* behave themselves, and leave them to it? Which is what VF seems to have done - by their members' own admission, huge parts of the site are completely unmoderated. Sure, here we may have a more lax registration process. But you can be fairly sure that every single forum will have moderators in and out of them regularly (with the exception of lately, since e_e randomly got removed and EPS seems to be away).

Old 06-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #115
horrorgirl

Quote:
No, I am pointing out the fact that instead of debating it with them, you resorted to flaming "jocks" in general.
There is no point in trying to 'debate' with trolls who make no sense when the post. Recognizing sarcasm isn't your strong suit.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:11 AM   #116
Wise Child

Quote:
Well I seem to be the unbiased third party here, the very person you should be trying to convince.
Why "should" we try to convince you? I think you're overestimating the extent to which people here "should" care what you think.

Quote:
Frankly I think both sides have issues. I actually read this entire, dreadfully long, thread and noticed a few things.
Frankly, I think you're from vampirefreaks.com. Maybe it's the grammar, maybe it's the fact that your short and rushed introduction looked like you only posted it as a formality so we wouldn't attack you for that (good move, btw - observing the etiquette will earn you a measure of civility, at least at first), or maybe it's the fact that this is the only thread you seem to have any interest in. Take your pick.

Quote:
1. Yes, a lot of us do. That doesn't mean that we insist everyone else do likewise - it just doesn't appeal to our taste, and many members here find it something of a joke.
2. You accuse us of being biassed and not them? Wait a minute, I thought you were the impartial third party?
3. The reasons they were attacked have been explained, and it'snot because they like VF.

Well... not primarily.

Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #117
beyondredemption

I think the main issue that my learned friend and myself had was your portrayal had no basis i fact.
The links lead to captured screen shots, the accusations are erroneous at best and whilst everysite has its fair share of idiots at least we do something to try and protect the membership.
As for horror girl to meet a fair argument and view with the comments she used demonstrate more the attitude of a 14 yr old than someone approaching my own age..
In short you cant expect to open up a topic and not recieve an opposing point off view.. We allow the same on VF.. in fact we are more than tolerant of most things bar out and out abuse from others in posts.
beyondredemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #118
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondredemption
I think the main issue that my learned friend and myself had was your portrayal had no basis i fact.
The links lead to captured screen shots, the accusations are erroneous at best and whilst everysite has its fair share of idiots at least we do something to try and protect the membership.
As for horror girl to meet a fair argument and view with the comments she used demonstrate more the attitude of a 14 yr old than someone approaching my own age..
In short you cant expect to open up a topic and not recieve an opposing point off view.. We allow the same on VF.. in fact we are more than tolerant of most things bar out and out abuse from others in posts.
Please tell me that English is not your first language.

Do you know what? I don’t even know how to ‘capture’ a screen shot because I am a fucktard when it comes to computers. Really, I am! I don’t know why you people refuse to believe that there are a large amount of idiots on that site. I guess the truth hits a little to close to home, eh?

Again, a person cannot have a debate with a person who is troll. Especially one that defends a really crappy site to the death. And what, pray tell, is your age? Judging from you horrid use of grammar I would guess 12, tops. I never said that you couldn’t debate this subject. So far you guys haven’t. All you have done is come in here and troll a board using bad grammar, bad spelling, and in general not making any sense whatsoever. The only reason you learned about my initial post is because one of your board buddies got angry that somebody was effectively ‘dissing’ their favorite web haunt, and then proceeded to give the link to every single one of their friends.

Face it. Not everybody likes VF, No matter what you say, or how you attempt to say it, you are not going to change any minds. In fact the more you guys post the more my point of view seems correct. Thanks for the help!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #119
Solumina

Quote:
I actually got what Ryle meant. According to him, the girl was posing as a person of legal age. That is very difficult if not impossible to prove on a website. Moreso if the minimum age is 13
Um...there is one little issue with this it isn't all that hard to tell most 12 year olds apart from 18 year olds and even if you don't have to be 18 to be on the site you do have to be that old in order to post pornographic pictures which a lot of these kids do.

Also another point about mods, they aren't hard to get and a lot of people that care about a site will regard it as an honor and will do it for free (there are sites that pay mods but there are also sites that have volunteer mods) so there really is no reason for VF to be under moderated, no one, in their right mind, can argue that it isn't.

For the record I was a member of the site a while back but I left after only a few days because I was sick of getting comments for young people (some saying specifically that they were 11 or 12) asking how old I was and if they could have naked pictures of me. These were not messages they were comments that could be viewed by anyone and I eve complained about them but nothing was done, the users stayed on the site and the messages kept coming until I left the site
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:08 AM   #120
horrorgirl

My favorite definition of VF. Pure comedy gold.

http://www.*********************.com...Vampire_Freaks

No, I did not write it.

Old 06-05-2006, 02:52 PM   #121
devourer

horrorgirl you need a better spell check:

2 entries found for devourer.
de·vour ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-vour)
tr.v. de·voured, de·vour·ing, de·vours
To eat up greedily. See Synonyms at eat.
To destroy, consume, or waste: Flames devoured the structure in minutes.
To take in eagerly: devour a novel.
To prey upon voraciously: was devoured by jealousy.

but aside from that I don't particularly care if you don't like vampirefreaks or not... you are generalising about the population on there... plus horrorgirl should read her posts on this page and notice her grammatical errors and spelling mistakes...

And happy_dude the reviews are mostly done by members of the site and not the staff so what is reviewed is usually what the members like...

I have a few friends on there that like doom metal and a lot that like EBM...

Now if you dislike VampireFreaks that is your choice and as I have said your dislike of that site is of no concern of mine but when you insist that all the members are angsty teens and attention whores then I think you should at least check into that before you make such an accusation. I will admit that I've met people on VampireFreaks that do fit into the groups mentioned on here but I have met some really interesting and intelligent people on there also.

I don't tend to give much time to anyone that cannot hold a good debate or argument without harping on about spelling and grammar, as if someone were dyslexic I'd definately tell them to steer clear of this site if people are going to critisise them on spelling instead of intellectual content.

With that said I will leave you to it and seek some intelligent people on this site (I know there are some... there's 3 or 4 people on this thread who answered intelligently to members of VampireFreaks' input).
devourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #122
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by devourer
horrorgirl you need a better spell check:

2 entries found for devourer.
devour ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-vour)
tr.v. devoured, devouring, devours
To eat up greedily. See Synonyms at eat.
To destroy, consume, or waste: Flames devoured the structure in minutes.
To take in eagerly: devour a novel.
To prey upon voraciously: was devoured by jealousy.

but aside from that I don't particularly care if you don't like vampirefreaks or not... you are generalising about the population on there... plus horrorgirl should read her posts on this page and notice her grammatical errors and spelling mistakes...

And happy_dude the reviews are mostly done by members of the site and not the staff so what is reviewed is usually what the members like...

I have a few friends on there that like doom metal and a lot that like EBM...

Now if you dislike VampireFreaks that is your choice and as I have said your dislike of that site is of no concern of mine but when you insist that all the members are angsty teens and attention whores then I think you should at least check into that before you make such an accusation. I will admit that I've met people on VampireFreaks that do fit into the groups mentioned on here but I have met some really interesting and intelligent people on there also.

I don't tend to give much time to anyone that cannot hold a good debate or argument without harping on about spelling and grammar, as if someone were dyslexic I'd definately tell them to steer clear of this site if people are going to critisise them on spelling instead of intellectual content.

With that said I will leave you to it and seek some intelligent people on this site (I know there are some... there's 3 or 4 people on this thread who answered intelligently to members of VampireFreaks' input).
It’s actually WordPerfect. Since I have been quoting you it counts the ‘equal’ mark into your name, so that is why it showed up as incorrect. SO THERE! *sticks out tongue*

So everybody on here was supposed to read your obnoxious posts and agree with you? I guess there are unicorns prancing about where you live.

You must have just gotten home from school. How were the milk and cookies?

Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #123
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
there's 3 or 4 people on this thread who answered intelligently to members of VampireFreaks' input
People will almost always think others are smart only if they think alike.

That was not meant to be challenging; it's just a remark.

I actually enjoyed the posts. They were readable, although I'd have preferred them if they were a little more laconic.
Nevertheless, I will never like VampireFreaks, especially because of the "unmoderated Sex Cult" I have already spoken about.
But as far you, Devourer, go, would you indulge me into being a regular on this site and open an introduction thread for yourself?
Just don't try to promote VF in every chance you get.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 PM   #124
devourer

I didn't say you had to agree with me... in fact I like it when people don't as it's nice that everyone has a unique point of view and can put forward their views in an intelligent manner.

As for becoming a member of this site I would probably have done so anyway if I was introduced to the site properly. I am not here to promote VF at all, I have never directly said anything to defend the site although I personally like it.

Yes the unmodertaed sex cult (of which I am a member) can be slightly disturbing with young teenagers asking about sexual things but they generally recieve 1 of 3 responses usually which are either "you're too young", flaming or some in depth information about what they have asked so they can make an informed decision (it usually depends on what's asked and who's asking it).
devourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:37 AM   #125
horrorgirl

Quote:
I didn't say you had to agree with me... in fact I like it when people don't as it's nice that everyone has a unique point of view and can put forward their views in an intelligent manner.

As for becoming a member of this site I would probably have done so anyway if I was introduced to the site properly. I am not here to promote VF at all, I have never directly said anything to defend the site although I personally like it.

Yes the unmodertaed sex cult (of which I am a member) can be slightly disturbing with young teenagers asking about sexual things but they generally recieve 1 of 3 responses usually which are either "you're too young", flaming or some in depth information about what they have asked so they can make an informed decision (it usually depends on what's asked and who's asking it).
Well, I can honestly say that I will never like you and that we will probably cross swords on here often. So be it. You are a condenscending ass. There, I said it.