Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
Sylice

Style For Black/African-American "Goths"?

I've always had an interest in the Gothic subculture- specifically the Music. Recently, I've gained an interest in expressing my love for the music through clothing. Im wondering, is it possible for black men to pull of the Gothic look? If so, can you guys give me a few pointers?

My look so far is usually a black t-shirt, blue jeans and black vans. But I've been trying to expand the spectrum by incorporating bondage jeans, combat boots and trench coats etc... And shirts like this (http://www.the-black-angel.com/gothi...raven-sdl.html). But, pulling off the hair is going to be tough haha- I thought about just going for a Mohawk.

So, what do you guys think?
Sylice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Versus

Stay away from make-up and especially guy-liner.

You can do whatever you want with you hair. Shave it, braid it, pick it, pony tail. Don't really matter.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Timeless Rebellion

Basically anything you feel like works. My experiance says that almost any kind of hair fits the "gothic style" as we so choose to call it here.
The most important thing is you feel comfortable.
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
AshleyO

I see quite a lot of black punks in the city. I have a friend who does go full on metrosexual gothy and he's quite a pretty young man.

You know, just go for it. Stuff like band patches on your clothes and all that works pretty well. I think the fullblown deathrock look from LA looks damn cool on just about anyone that's willing to commit to such a high maintenance look. That's the deathhawk, glammy make-up, torn fishnets, patchy clothing, studded vest, animal print kinda stuff.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
Alan

From an entirely personal taste, I would second AshleyO's mention of punk.
Dark punk and deathrock look way cooler than when a goth tries to look all victorian and shit. I've seen some crazy deathrocker looks though that I also feel are too much but that direction is overall much more fun.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Lady Ruthven

I agree that a rather more punk look would probably suit you more. I have a black friend who has 'her' (she looks totally androgynous) hair short, purple and spiky, which looks pretty cool. But as timeless says, any kind of hairstyle can be gothy really.

Your clothing ideas sound awesome, and thanks for posting the link to that site. (Lacy top shopping spree coming up!)

As regards makeup, I would advise you either not to wear it at all or to wear a lot and do something really creative with it. Anything can look good, depending on your face, as long as it isn't half-done.

Finally, the whole point of our subculture is to be different and not conform to stereotypes. Wear what you like and what suits you, and people will respect you for being an individual.
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Lady Ruthven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
From an entirely personal taste, I would second AshleyO's mention of punk.
Dark punk and deathrock look way cooler than when a goth tries to look all victorian and shit. I've seen some crazy deathrocker looks though that I also feel are too much but that direction is overall much more fun.
Are you insulting Victorian goths? Because I have some pretty awesome looks of that style myself.
Lady Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Solumina

Personally I think frohawks are about as awesome as hair can get. All the white kids will be jealous that their hair will never look that good, no matter how much backcombing and aquanet they subject it too.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Catch

I only have a couple tips on the subject:

Do not dress like Queen of the Damned.

Use a dramatic mixture of black, white and color with color around the collar and cuffs.

I have seen an Afro-America Goth that has cornrows dyed in a maroon or purple. It looks very attractive. It would be nice if I had a picture. You can imagine how he looks.