Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #76
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
I know she not a goth any one could tell.
Who isn't?

[I seriously don't know who you're talking about here; it doesn't seem to fit in any where.]
Old 08-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #77
OnyxBat

Amy Lee who else.
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #78
Tam Li Hua

Oh...o..kay...
Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #79
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This stopped being fun after he backpedaled from his admission that he's making an ass of himself.
I'm beating a very bitchy dead horse.
I'm still trying to see the point in attacking this person. The topic of this thread could have been a springboard for an interesting conversation. Instead, it seems to be nothing more than a stockade where people attempt to score points by throwing things against the defenseless. And really? nit-picking a person's grammar? Now THAT'S digging deep to find something to throw.

*golf clap*

Nice form and good distance, but you seemed to have missed the topic entirely.

- Heretic
Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #80
Still Jack

Srsly though? The only reason I called OP a racist was to get an interesting flame war. A pretty pathetic one at that.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:01 PM   #81
OnyxBat

Do you really thing the word "racist" would make me want to argue.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #82
LenorePoe

Amy Lee's music is boring.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #83
LenorePoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
"Looks wise"? Could you elaborate of what you mean by that? I'm having a hard time picturing what a White Goth might wear that a Goth with darker skin couldn't (besides white theatrical make-up, of course ).

- Heretic
Sure, they *can* wear it, but doesn't mean it'll look good. Its like the white kids who sag their pants and wear giant oversized t-shirts...
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #84
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenorePoe View Post
Sure, they *can* wear it, but doesn't mean it'll look good. Its like the white kids who sag their pants and wear giant oversized t-shirts...
Interesting comparison. In my opinion, White kids wearing what most people would refer to as Hip-Hop style look just fine. Again, I have to point out that it isn't WHAT you wear, but HOW you wear it. What do I mean?

Exhibit A:

Wannabes rockin' the Hip-Hop rags:

Exhibit B:

White rapper wearing the same style:

See the difference? Yes? Now think about the stereotypes you are buying in to by refusing to believe the flip side of this could be true. Considering the broad range of styles that fit under the Goth umbrella, I am amazed that you can't imagine someone with darker skin pulling ANY of them off.

It would seem that your only criteria for looking good wearing a particular style is how closely a person adheres to what society says they should look like.

Not a very "Gothic" way of looking at things, if you ask me.

- Heretic
Old 08-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #85
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenorePoe View Post
I...wasn't aware that latter style you described looked good on -anyone-, regardless of color. :/

Black folks can carry off the style just as well [or just as badly] as any other race; why you keep saying they can't when you haven't met any [or, at any rate, have met very few] is what's boggling everyone's minds.

Quote:
Amy Lee's music is boring.
Ok. Thanks for informing us of that.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #86
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
Srsly though? The only reason I called OP a racist was to get an interesting flame war. A pretty pathetic one at that.
We are aware.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #87
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
The topic of this thread could have been a springboard for an interesting conversation.
No, not really. There isn't even the germ of the start of an interesting topic here. I didn't call the OP a racist or even insult their person, but I did call it a dumb post ... and that is a fair and common statement everywhere on this board, particularly when smart people say stupid things.

The equine is deceased; everyone please cease your pummeling.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #88
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
No, not really. There isn't even the germ of the start of an interesting topic here.
Really? You feel a topic like this is THAT uninteresting?

Well, I disagree. As an African American Goth, it would have been VERY interesting for me to learn more about how others who do not happen to be ethnic minorities might view the issues raised by this thread.

Quote:
I didn't call the OP a racist or even insult their person, but I did call it a dumb post ... and that is a fair and common statement everywhere on this board, particularly when smart people say stupid things.
Yes, I've noticed that over the years. It is quite common to see a poster attacked for the way they word something, more so than it is to see people to discussing the actual topic of the post in question. I was hoping for something a little different this time around.

Oh well.

Quote:
The equine is deceased; everyone please cease your pummeling.
Again I disagree...mostly. Thoughtful discussion is why I dropped in to post my opinion. I would welcome anyone else's opinions on the subject of this thread. Personally, I could do without the personal attacks against the person unfortunate enough to have started this "discussion".

- Heretic
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #89
lady_cthulhu

Heretic -
All right, I'll bite ^.^ (pun intended). What sort of fashion do you personally prefer? I don't know any black goths at all, heck, I hardly know any goths of any stripe in person (I'm a terrible shut in and I don't get out much). Those I do know are far, far away from me now so I relish the opportunity to discuss fashion. Do you wear makeup? If so what kind, and in what style?
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 AM   #90
Hearts_Purple

Lady_cthulhu, the POC Goths I've known all ranged from Cyber, Victorian, Bondage, Deathrock, Rivet. You name it.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #91
Sinjob

The reason why there are no black goths is solely one of safety.
At night time when both Negros and goths are allowed out in society there'd be just too much black to the point that any cars nearby could easily mistake a walking african-american goth for the PITCH BLACK atmosphere.
This is why there are no black goths.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #92
Sinjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
would just like some opinons on how you would approach one. And how would there own race see them. *this is not a racist thread*
That alone makes you racist.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #93
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
Really? You feel a topic like this is THAT uninteresting?

Well, I disagree. As an African American Goth, it would have been VERY interesting for me to learn more about how others who do not happen to be ethnic minorities might view the issues raised by this thread.
The only issue raised by this thread is that the OP does not believe there are black Goths because he's never seen one. It was an ignorant post by a smart person, and was fairly criticized. That criticism was demonstrated to be just when you and others proved the supposition wrong and showed how easy it was to prove wrong.

In fact, I would be keenly surprised to learn that any ethnic or racial group isn't represented somewhere in the Gothic community.

Then the OP said:

Quote:
I've read some stories and about them and how non black goths are racist towards them. I would just like some opinons on how you would approach one. And how would there own race see them.
And I don't see this being a unique or interesting topic either. Remove the word "goths" and it because the standard discussion of racial tolerance. I don't think there's anything germane or unique about being Goth that alters the topic in any significant way.

So what is the interesting "issue" raised by this thread? I don't see one.

Quote:
Yes, I've noticed that over the years. It is quite common to see a poster attacked for the way they word something, more so than it is to see people to discussing the actual topic of the post in question. I was hoping for something a little different this time around.

Oh well.
You have misconstrued my statement terribly. If I see someone of lesser intelligence post something dumb, I usually let it slide. But when I see someone of above average intelligence (as I actually believe the OP to be) post something as mind-numbingly stupid as the post that started this thread, I call them on it. I did not pick on the person because of grammar, spelling or "the way he worded it", but for the over lack of thoughtfulness inherent in that initial statement.

And you should be a little more discriminating about such posts as well.

Quote:
Again I disagree...mostly. Thoughtful discussion is why I dropped in to post my opinion. I would welcome anyone else's opinions on the subject of this thread. Personally, I could do without the personal attacks against the person unfortunate enough to have started this "discussion".

- Heretic
Please, pray tell, what meaningful or thoughtful discussion would you like to see develop here, because I haven't seen one yet. If you come up with one, I will probably suggest that it would have made a better thread than this topic.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #94
Sinjob

This "PULL OFF" thing is bullshit, and a matter of opinion. And as it has been made clear on this site, LenorePoe's opinion is not a valid one.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #95
OnyxBat

Ben...I am a girl and heretic is right, it is an intresting topic because it has never been brought up and the way that I posted it was stupid but the topic is about African American Goths. And Heretic thank you for the pictures it was a great exsample.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #96
OnyxBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjob View Post
The reason why there are no black goths is solely one of safety.
At night time when both Negros and goths are allowed out in society there'd be just too much black to the point that any cars nearby could easily mistake a walking african-american goth for the PITCH BLACK atmosphere.
This is why there are no black goths.
And you call me racist.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #97
Sinjob

OOOOHH YOU FOUND ME.

Here's what I want you to do:
I want you to google SATIRE and get an understanding of what it is. This is a medium that will take you far if you have a sense of humor.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #98
OnyxBat

I lack of humor but I know what humor is and using the word negro is not funny at all and making fun of there dark skin is not ok.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #99
Sinjob

You're right, NEGRO is sooo 19th century. Nigguh would be more culturally relevant.

You think I was actually making fun of black people, you fucking retard.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #100
OnyxBat

Look who's the retard now you can even spell Nigga and Nigga is not a real word only in the african american culture. And yes it was a racist You basically saying there so Black that at night you can not see them, which is not true.