Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Solumina

Bathroom police

So apparently this is a thing. A proposed law to ban people using the "wrong" bathroom and by "wrong" I mean one that doesn't match your birth certificate. There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
Versus

Is that in reaction to the bullshit about the trans* kid in elementary school here? I refuse to look at your links, ma'am.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Miss Absynthe

Laws like this put people in danger.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Solumina

It seems to be in reaction to a city ordinance banning gender identity discrimination and as this would be a state law it would trump that local law. This stupid law also includes public showers and changing rooms, basically anything where people would be separated by gender.

The law is incredibly dangerous not only for trans* people but for children because a child must use their assigned space and a parent must use theirs so if it is a father with his daughter or a mother with her son that kid would have to be sent in alone, no matter how young. There is no provision for children or any such thing, the bill's crafters essentially said that in such situations police would be expected/able to use their judgement, which is an awesome thing to have them do in a place where they have continually abused their power.

Weird fact: AZ is one of the states where you can have your birth certificate changed after you surgically transition (lets hope their current legislators don't find that out) so this mostly is affects people who are transitioning, who are already more vulnerable to attack, and people from other states, which seems pretty counterproductive for a state that could really use more tourism revenue.

Also I know that Raw Story doesn't always have the most complete information but it's pretty accurate and one of the few news sources where the comments section doesn't always make me run off to the angry dome.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-22-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Miss Absynthe

Not everyone decides to have bottom surgery, either..

Can I come visit the angry dome for a while? I'll bring Tim Tams.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 AM   #6
Solumina

Very true I should have said those who have not transitioned, bad wording on my part. I have no idea what a Tim Tam is but of course you can join me!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Versus

Two men enter! One man leaves!
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
Murder.Of.Crows

Fuck everything.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Very true I should have said those who have not transitioned, bad wording on my part. I have no idea what a Tim Tam is but of course you can join me!
I'm not sure who you're referring to when you say "those who have not transitioned"?

Tim Tams are chocolate biscuits.. and they are amazing. They are eating via the method of "The Tim Tam Slam" - you nibble off one corner and slurp coffee (or another hot beverage) through them like a straw.. the biscuit goes a bit soggy and the chocolate coating stays intact. You then pop it all into your mouth quickly and it explodes into gooey chocolate goodness.

...actually, if anyone wants me to mail them some Tim Tams, you can email me at delicate.torture@gmail dot com. I send them to people in Denmark and the US fairly regularly.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
ape descendant

Grrrr, fuck you Arizona. Too angry for words.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Would this also apply to straight couples sneaking into bathrooms together for a bit of public privacy, or are they being blatantly transphobic?(I don't know the proper word for a phobia of transsexuals)

Also how much money would you require in exchange for tim tams Absynthe?

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
Miss Absynthe

My guess is that it would apply to everyone, however the more common scenario for a couple sneaking into a public loo is that they get told to leave.. the more common scenario for a trans-woman using the female toilets is that she gets humiliated and possibly assaulted by someone who decides that she's actually a guy in a dress.

If someone did call the cops on both scenarios, it's more likely that the couple sneaking off together would get a "get a room, you crazy kids!" response from the authorities where the trans-woman would be prosecuted and depending on where she lived she could end up on a sex offenders register.

WRT Tim Tams - free, but with the promise that you pay a random act of kindness forward to someone else.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
My guess is that it would apply to everyone, however the more common scenario for a couple sneaking into a public loo is that they get told to leave.. the more common scenario for a trans-woman using the female toilets is that she gets humiliated and possibly assaulted by someone who decides that she's actually a guy in a dress.

If someone did call the cops on both scenarios, it's more likely that the couple sneaking off together would get a "get a room, you crazy kids!" response from the authorities where the trans-woman would be prosecuted and depending on where she lived she could end up on a sex offenders register.

WRT Tim Tams - free, but with the promise that you pay a random act of kindness forward to someone else.
Yeah, I've had to kick men out of the ladies dressing room when I worked at Sears, not because they wanted to use it but because they wanted to give input on what their partners were wearing/ probably wanted to have sex. But I never called security or anything, if they pushed or snuck past me at that point I and my coworkers was too passive to do anything anyway.

I would have been totally cool with any trans* person using the change room, and I'm more glad the store I work at now has unisex change stalls, but absolutely anyone ignorant or transphobic certainly wouldn't be afraid to call security.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
Morbius Fitzgerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
So apparently this is a thing. A proposed law to ban people using the "wrong" bathroom and by "wrong" I mean one that doesn't match your birth certificate. There are so many things wrong with this I don't even know where to start.
I agree with only one thing in that post...there ARE so many things wrong with that that I don't know where to start.

I don't know that much about American politics but I hope that the bill doesn't go through.
Morbius Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote