Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #5001
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I used a loofah Versus used while he was here and now I smell like some terrible patchouli/Old Spice hybrid.
Update: IT STILL SMELLS LIKE OLD SPICE WHAT THE SHIT.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #5002
Versus

In other news, Saya wouldn't continue to date me if we found out we were first cousins, but she would be okay with it if we were third cousins and I'd have to make a really good case for second cousins. Also, I made her believe that Patrick Stewert married a first cousin. It was a brief 10 minutes that we talked, buy very insightful.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 AM   #5003
BourbonBoy

Headache, sore throat, coughing and lots of mucus. Hope it's just the sniffles and not the new strain of the flu.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5004
Fruitbat

Hope you feel better soon BB.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #5005
Saya

I'm taking a course on implicit religion (basically how religion manifests itself in and shapes pop culture) and we talked today about the argument that American pop culture is a cult of death. It was actually hard to argue against!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #5006
MissCheyenne

I fucking love Annie Lennox. That is all.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #5007
Murder.Of.Crows

Weird half asleep no coffee thougt. Have we actually ever talked about" nothing" in this thread?

And how can kittens meow so much? My kitten is literally munching down on her food and has still found some way to meow. Its really cute, but its also weird...
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #5008
Fruitbat

What is nothing? There is no such thing, because nothing is always something - the nothingness of space - well that's wrong, because there's always something there, dark matter, stars.

But it does make me wonder about the word nothing. What are it's origins?

According to dictionary.com it was in the English language before 900, and was actually nathing - which makes sense when you think about how words were written as they sounded, before all those little dooflickies were invented for emphasis.

Now, I've burnt my braincell out.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #5009
Saya

I've been told that a gender psychology course I'm doing is really problematic, but there's not many gender studies electives being offered so I'm taking it anyway. I'm going through the book now and so far what I've gleaned is that psychology has historically been pretty sexist (true), and people shouldn't fear feminism because feminists who want revolution are a small minority who should be ignored, feminism is simply about the freedom to wear thongs o.O

I have a feeling this shan't mention trans folk.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #5010
NapalmCow

Black veil brides must die
NapalmCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #5011
BourbonBoy

Quote:
I've been told that a gender psychology course I'm doing is really problematic, but there's not many gender studies electives being offered so I'm taking it anyway. I'm going through the book now and so far what I've gleaned is that psychology has historically been pretty sexist (true), and people shouldn't fear feminism because feminists who want revolution are a small minority who should be ignored, feminism is simply about the freedom to wear thongs o.O I have a feeling this shan't mention trans folk.
Who would write tripe like that? Granted I'm in a tech school but I think I'd have a hard time taking the author's opinion seriously unless I wanted to use it for ammo later on in a debate of some kind.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #5012
Saya

The author I think is very much part of that upper middle class liberal feminism we were talking about in the Trickle Down Feminism thread XD I think she tries in other areas, like she has little blocs for "diversity" where she talks about black women's experience, although even then its a little weird. So far no mention of trans* folk, even when she was explaining the difference between sex and gender.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #5013
Saya

Sorry, I just gotta vent because I got a little online quiz thing to do tomorrow so I'm steaming ahead on this book rather than taking it slowly like I normally would (psychology books are terribly expensive so I was late getting it). She says women of colour felt angry at white feminists because white feminists wouldn't put racism before sexism, which is really, bwah? But she later acknowledges that racism, sexism and homophobia interconnects in such a way that you can't really talk about one without tackling another, which is pretty much what women of colour were mad about. So she doesn't get it as a criticism of feminism, but totally gets it as a criticism of types of psychological research.

She also talks about how women of colour were ostracized by their respective ethnic communities by being feminists, and she doesn't outright say it but it still bothers me because it implies that white men were fine and dandy with white women being feminists and men of colour are just extra oppressive. She also says its debatable whether Muslims can be feminists, although many Muslim women who immigrated to the United States and Canada claim to be feminists. Because there hasn't been women rights movements in Muslim communities and countries worldwide or anything.

Basically, she knows her shit about science, but not about feminism or women outside of her circle :/
Old 01-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #5014
Timeless Rebellion

Saya: I know how you feel - it is absolutely infuriating when authors of the books you are being taught by proves to be either incompetent, prejudiced or otherwise unprofessional.

I had a book in social studies from... I believe it was 2010 or 2011 that listed a list of - and I quote directly translated - society's losers. In this group appearently, criminals of all types as well as autists are at home. Furthermore, appearently it is viable to treat children who are uncalm and troubled with ritalin even if they don't actually have ADHD.

I am quite amazed at how people who are supposed to pass on the knowledge of society can be so.... provokingly judgemental.

(If I completely misunderstood your rant, enjoy having read an unrelated rant on my part xD)
Forget me not, and keep my memory.
Timeless Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #5015
Saya

Gawd. At least this lady tries and knows her shit about other things (I'm in the more sciencey part of the book now and its much better).

I think I mentioned this before, but a friend of mine was taking a business course she was taking a pre-req for a masters in labour relations, and the text book went on about diversity doesn't work, different kinds of people shouldn't mix :/
Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #5016
Hyaena

You come across all kinds of stuff like that in Archaeology, especially if the book's more than a decade or so old…

The most recent one I read was a chapter of a books about unusual deities of england from the post-roman/pre-christian days. The chapter in question dealt exclusively with the view of England as 'mongrelised' because of the influx of Normans, Danes, Angles, Jutes and Saxons (and more) from Europe, but then went one to say that it's hardly fair to see the English as being of 'mixed origin' because all Northern Europeans are pretty much the same.

And anyway, it's not like there was 'what might be called in genetical terms 'a violent out-cross'' which would have resulted if we'd been invaded by the Chinese, Native Americans or African Bushmen.

He then laments on the potential this would have had to change our physical appearance AND our culture, chatting about pagodas in Canterbury and a totem pole in trafalgar square (as well as an apparent tendency to revert to painting on rocks in caves and gorges…)
Silly cunt, interesting collection of folk stories.
Hyaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #5017
Timeless Rebellion

Saya: The guy in this book knew his politics and most of his social science, so to the reader who is unfamiliar with ritalin or autists, this could just pass off as true information - although classifying a group as society's losers will always be wrong in my eyes. The fact that it was so cleverly disguised angered me enough to show up to the next class, slam my book shut and tell the teacher that I refused to read another word in that piece of garbage. Naturally, this resulted in my teacher telling me that if I wanted to pass the class, I would read the material given to me, so I had to cave... But I still think it was rather badass!!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #5018
Fruitbat

Quote:
Gawd. At least this lady tries and knows her shit about other things (I'm in the more sciencey part of the book now and its much better).

I think I mentioned this before, but a friend of mine was taking a business course she was taking a pre-req for a masters in labour relations, and the text book went on about diversity doesn't work, different kinds of people shouldn't mix :/
What was the reason they gave for diversity not working?

Timeless: I cannot believe in this day and age, that people still classify those who are different from themselves as being 'losers' or lesser people then themselves.

I thought the whole thing with academic texts was that the author's personal views and opinions were meant to be kept out of them.

i will confess that the other day, I was driving and I called a woman stupid because she tried to get into the lane I was driving in, and then I spent the next five minutes explaining to babybat that mummy was wrong, and I shouldn't have called her that name because it was only a lapse in judgement and I really have no way of knowing the other driver's IQ.

but then this all comes from someone who's goal in life is to be Ape's garden gnome.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #5019
Timeless Rebellion

Fruity: I thought so too. But this one book proved me wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #5020
Miss Absynthe

@Saya - what is it that you're reading?
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #5021
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Rebellion View Post
Fruity: I thought so too. But this one book proved me wrong.
Do you remember the title? I'd be interested in knowing more, mainly from a writer's perspective. I like to occassionally see the world from one of my character's POV, even if it is totally screwed up.

And there is nothing I like more than to write characters who are way off mainstream :-D

**I'm going back to bed. Feel funky. Dumbass fruity for standing on a critter.

Wonder if Ape has a little gnomie bed for me in her front garden? Or perhaps I should BYO.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #5022
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
@Saya - what is it that you're reading?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #5023
Versus

So, my unit has had 5 suicides in the last 8 weeks. I'm not surprised.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #5024
BourbonBoy

Fuuuuuck dude. That's crazy.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #5025
MissCheyenne

Shit Versus, that's terrible

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote