Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Igniseus

Hi all, simon/igniseus here!

Hi there all!

No idea how i got here, but it looks like a cool place nonetheless

Anyhow onto the introductory questions...

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Well im currently at college, but i finish in a couple of weeks. I work part time as a barman, full time once i finish college till i sort out what im doing next.

In my spare time i spend most of my time on the PC (gaming, watching movies/tv shows, browsing, working with photoshop etc) but thats mainly because i dont really share many interests with my mates. Though i am starting to meet some new people, metalheads in particular.
I love to chat aswell, get me talking on a good topic and you wont stop me
A possible upcoming interest is also Airsofting.

2. Where are you from?
West yorkshire in the UK.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Well im ashamed to say i dont read books :/ Does PCZone count? :P

4. What are your favorite films?
Ack this is such a tough one. Hmmm...Matrix trilogy, Spider-Man 1-2, Blade 1, Back To the Future trilogy, Star Wars 1-6 (yes i actually liekd 1-3 :P), Batman 1-2 and so many more....

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I dont want a wedding :P But if i did have one erm....Nighwish and Machinae Supremacy i guess.

6. At your funeral?
Dont care, wont be listening :P

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Battleing the forces of evil :P ...Realisticly, asleep i guess.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Haha....umm dunno how to answer this one

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
I dont really have any outfits yet.....If i could have Batmans that owuld be it :P

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Getting away with things easily? Not expected to be mature (thoguh this has some major negatives too)? Being free of worries and pressure?

11. What's your favorite band?
Nightwish followed very closely by Machinae Supremacy

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
High school of course, and about to finish college, though i could very well fail..

13. Why did you join?
Not sure exactly.....seems like a cool community to be apart of!

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Cyborg :P Nah male

I've only just started to really become aware of gothic culture (beyond the obvious) thanks to my Australian friend whos a Goth, and also in part to my musical tastes. I dont own anything Gothic but soon i should own some gothic influenced t-shirts (bought a load from here today... http://search.cartserver.com/search/...EEVES&go=GO%21) and maybe some very minutely Gothic influenced trousers (http://www.x-tra-x.de/bilder/artikel/21055a-g.jpg). I listen to Gothic Metal but i doubt thats quite the same as what you guys listen to. I'm not really into Gothic music that doesnt even have a hint of Metal in it (thoguh thereoculd be exceptions, who knows!). I am a HUGE fan of Gothic Metal though, take the list here, http://www.last.fm/tag/gothic%20metal, i like every single band/artist on that list bar about 1 maybe 2.
Well that pretty much sums me and gothic culture up. Would you say im very slowly turning to the gothic culture or would you just say i like the gothic artwork and gothic influenced music? I'm not trying to be a Goth or anything, its just i dotn really understand the whole concept and culture a great deal, and just wondered where you put me (turning Goth, not at all a Goth, into Gothic influenced things, etc), as i have no idea myself and im just curious. I've always been a bit of an outcast really i guess. I've always had plenty of friends but ive never really into a "group" or anythign and usually just hang aroudn with whoever shares the most interests with me or who i get on with best, but ive always felt sorta out of place (not quite fitting in with metalheads, or the skaters, or the indie guys, or the geeks (mean that in a nice way), or whatever), im just trying to find my place i guess.

Well thats enough of me ranting, you've probably given up half-way down anyway :P

Nice meeting ya all!

-Igniseus
Igniseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Igniseus

Well after thoroughly reading through a lot of posts here i think i now have a decent understanding of the Goth culture. One of the things i picked up relating to me is that it seems how you dress/look, what you listen to, etc doesnt determine whether your a Goth or not, its more about the mind (literature, creativity, way of thinking, etc).

I have no idea why i like gothic music, must be just something about the vocals and the way it sounds. As for clothes (and anything else like posters or whatever), i think i just like the awesome artistic gothic designs and black.

Anyway i might as well put this thread to a close, because it looks like i might get a bit of grief from it anyway (for example, parts of my message could be read as a "am i goth?" question which seems quite hated, and it is a little whiny in places which again seems hated in any non-whining board), and i dont really fit in from what ive learned about goth.

Thanks for reading anyway, its definately an enlightening experience reading these forums!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
Niels

well that was indeed a lot of reading, but am I correct if I say that you are leaving us again, because you feel you don't fit in here? Or is it more like you don't fit in the subculture? hm...

Still feel welcomed!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 AM   #4
Morrigan_Dubh

Awww, You seem cute... *pats Igniseus on head* I want to keep you. You can be my bonsai goth.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Igniseus

Heheh thanks guys, your too nice

I didnt mean i was leaving, i'll definately keep reading threads, just that i probably wont be actively posting in these forums cause i dont really fit in (here and sub-culture, basically same thing to me), though essentially that is leaving if you wont see me much (im a gamer and gothic metal fan so i'll definately pop into those types of threads). I mean the #1 drive here seems to be literature. I dont read books (not because i dis-like them, ive just never sat down and read one) and i certainly dont write my own stuff (the only creativity in me is in my website designing and general photoshop work (see www.igniseus.com)).

Thanks for trying to make me feel welcome, it really is a nice community here, even if i dont share alot in common with it
Old 05-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
An Eccentric Cellist

I like you. You're literate, well spoken, sweet, open to new ideas and you catch on fast. If you stay people will like just the way you are.

If you haven't already check out 'Goth with a Sledgehammer' do, even if you know what it states it's still hilarious.

You don't feel Welcomed?!

Welcome Igniseus!
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #7
Igniseus

Aww thank Cel

You know it feels so different here. For once i'm in a community where everyone is nice and friendly, respects each other and generally get on with each other in an fun and interestign way, but dont flame each other should there be any difference in opinion.

I'm definately gonna stick around anyway, whether i follow every aspect of Gothic culture or dont get involved in any of it (bar this forum of course )
Old 05-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Igniseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Oh, sweetie... I'm only nice and friendly because I like you.
Thanks :P, that'll be the first compliment ive recieved from non-family in what, all my life? :P Now if only i could meet you people in real life, i might then actually have some decent nice friends (my friends are *trying* to insult my new clothes, but by calling me mosha, goth, and all that shit all they accomplish is making themselves look more stupid :P)

Although, i'm hoping to move to australia next year, to live with my cousins whilst im in university, but i happen to know a bunch of really cool people over there who are into goth and metal culture
Old 05-12-2006, 03:11 AM   #9
Wise Child

I hope you'll stay, Ignesius. We have a whining section if you want to rant about your friends for being knob jockeys.

And a baseball bat if you want something taken care of.

What? I didn't say anything. Someone's throwing stuff...

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:49 AM   #10
Cicero

Australia? Good choice! Although the goth scene there isn't exactly booming, I find it to be one of the most accepting and friendly. What university are you planning to attend if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning on either Melbourne or Monash myself.

Anyway DO feel welcome here. You seem like a very cool and genuine person.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #11
Draconysius

You'd be surprised how many people here don't even claim to be subculturists. You won't have any difficulties making friends here; you're literate and smart.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igniseus
I listen to Gothic Metal but i doubt thats quite the same as what you guys listen to. I'm not really into Gothic music that doesnt even have a hint of Metal in it
It doesn't matter. It's nice you've got your own music taste - and if you don't like some music, then why should you listen to it? it's just good to tell people if you don't like something, it proves you've got own brains and you can manage without doing as others do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igniseus
Well that pretty much sums me and gothic culture up. Would you say im very slowly turning to the gothic culture or would you just say i like the gothic artwork and gothic influenced music? I'm not trying to be a Goth or anything, its just i dotn really understand the whole concept and culture a great deal, and just wondered where you put me (turning Goth, not at all a Goth, into Gothic influenced things, etc), as i have no idea myself and im just curious. I've always been a bit of an outcast really i guess. I've always had plenty of friends but ive never really into a "group" or anythign and usually just hang aroudn with whoever shares the most interests with me or who i get on with best, but ive always felt sorta out of place (not quite fitting in with metalheads, or the skaters, or the indie guys, or the geeks (mean that in a nice way), or whatever), im just trying to find my place i guess.
You don't need to think about things like this. Just be what you're are, and that's what the world asks of you.
You don't need to fit into a subculture. If you're trying to find your place and you don't seem to find your answers from subcultures or other groups where "people are considered to be something" then don't be it. Create an own style of living, and don't think about classifying - it's just tiring of thinking "am I that anymore if I wear/do/listen to/like this?"

And now I almost forgot; welcome here. :>
Old 05-12-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
Igniseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
What university are you planning to attend if you don't mind me asking? I'm planning on either Melbourne or Monash myself.
I'm not sure, i've only just started looking into it to be honest. It'll be a university in Perth probably though, as i hope to live at my cousins house who lives just outside of Perth.