Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Mass Shooting, Dark Knight Rises, 14 dead

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1688547.html

Quote:
A shooting at a movie theater near Denver has left at least 14 people dead.

The incident, which took place at the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colo., occurred during midnight screenings of the new Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

According to Police Chief Dan Oates, the gunman stood at the front of one of the theaters and opened fire. Witnesses also said the shooter "released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire."

At least 50 other people have also been injured, 9News.com reported.

One suspect is in custody, NBC News reported. Motive for the attack is unknown. At this time, there is no evidence of additional shooters.

This story is developing...
This is not the bang anyone intended this movie to start with. Heres hoping and praying the death toll stops there.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
AshleyO

Holy god damned shit!

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Varbane

This one was hard for me to swallow. That's very close to the area of Aurora I spent a large chunk of my childhood in. I even went to the theater a few times. I just hope the police have the right guy and he wasn't working with someone else.
Varbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Versus

I hate that the first thing I think is "how?" Apparently he had an AR-15 with a 100 round beta magazine.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Deadmanwalking_05

Yet another rampage that has taken place inside of a "Gun Free Zone"

and yet I'm the crazy one for pointing out the fact that such areas draw in spineless nut jobs.

I hope the bastard that carried it out gets a very brutal and slow death in prison.

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Versus

Hey, Deadman. He had a kevlar vest. It wouldn't have done much good even if someone in the theater was armed and could identify him through the panic, the crowd, and the darkness.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
AshleyO

Versus, you're talking to a guy who thinks it's a good idea to militarize children at schools.

Just saying. He aint playing with a full deck.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
AshleyO

You know, you don't have to solve problems by arming everyone to the teeth.

Another way of doing these kinds of things is to have companies have security divisions that would conduct searches.

Yeah, it's not a pretty solution and one I don't exactly endorse; but it's something to show that keeping every person around you armed isn't exactly the final solution.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
BourbonBoy

Like having an alarm on the fire exit that he used to leave the theater to grab his weapons before reentering.

http://gma.**********/colorado-batma...opstories.html

Let's not forget these were all legally purchased weapons, not something purchased on the black market as well.

http://news.**********/police-colo-s...083528305.html

Those are yahoo! links.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
Like having an alarm on the fire exit that he used to leave the theater to grab his weapons before reentering.

http://gma.**********/colorado-batma...opstories.html

Let's not forget these were all legally purchased weapons, not something purchased on the black market as well.

http://news.**********/police-colo-s...083528305.html

Those are yahoo! links.
Yeah from what I've heard, the guy could easily pass any background checks that anyone did and could have conducted on him. Quite frankly it seems, improved gun control would have been useless in this situation. He was on his way to becoming a phd before he dropped out.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Andrias

Sad...

Heard something about Warner Bros pulling the plug on the movie release because of it. At least they did in Paris. Some people blame the inspiration of the movie for this, mainly because how the shooter was dressed in a gas mask and all black, and told the cops he was the Joker when they apprehended him. (http://ideas.time.com/2012/07/20/don...rora-shooting/)
Andrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #12
BourbonBoy

That's one of the things that pisses me off when fucked up situations like this happen. Everyone's looking for something or someone to blame, especially pop culture, be it gamers who like Grand Theft Auto or metalheads who headbang to Slayer, when the reality is only the person who pulled the trigger knows why he did it. What would they say if he had the bible in his hand? Probably dick. If he was a Muslim they would say he was a terrorist. If he had Anton LaVey's Satanic bible they'd say it was because he was a Satanist.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Murder.Of.Crows

I'm just waiting for the news to release info that he wore black and was an outcast with little friends in school.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
BourbonBoy

I wouldn't be surprised if/when it happens. Sad thing is anyone with a brain is patient enough to await the trial when the suspect states his opinion.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #15
Jaye Jang

Agree with both Versus and AshleyO on this one. Unless the folks in the theater had come equipped with riot gear, night vision goggles, etc., a firearm wouldn't have been much use against this guy. The fact that he went in unarmed and went out to his car to get his gear, weapons, etc. leaves me to wonder why there were no alarms on the exits. (Most theaters have them, unless he was able to disable the alarms). But anyway, having metal detectors on the doors could've prevented some of this. No fun at the movies, but we have them in libraries and even at K-Mart now, and clowns like this make that necessary, unfortunately.

But none of that would have done his neighbors any good because this dirt bag was apparently planning to 'take them out,' as well. Thank God he didn't succeed...

http://news.**********/police-hazard...012649190.html

Sad, sad business this. Our hearts go out to the vics.

Btw, link is on yah**.c*m.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Deadmanwalking_05

Well the sicko did give up without a whole lot of resistance when the cops arrived on scene.

The theater that was chosen for the rampage is a posted "Gun Free Zone".

Also he might have had a Kevlar Vest,but the same vest doesn't take away the impact of the round,a heavy charge of buck shot or a .45 caliber slug (either .45 Long Colt,or .45 ACP) would still cause pain to the threat in this case and would have bought more time for the rest of the victims to clear out.

As for the issue of low light....there are such things as tritum night sights as well as compact white/LED lights and Laser mounts on semi-auto pistols (as well as a few of the Newer S&W Revolvers)

So the Low light thing is not as bad of a situational thing as it use to be.

As for those that think such defensive tools would be too bulky to carry just check out the S&W bodyguard line (A .38 special snub nose revolver and a .380 compact semi-auto both have fully intergrated laser sights)

The night sight option is one reason I picked the S&W Governor as my next carry item (and the fact that I can mix the cylinder with .410 Buckshot,.45LC,and .45 ACP)

Old 07-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
Alan

Yes, and if they had a tank they would have avoided the situation altogether.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Deadmanwalking_05

[quote=Alan;698782]Yes, and if they had a tank they would have avoided the situation altogether.[/QUOTE

Al you're just pissed off because I'm right.

and just put most of the arguments against a defensive firearm in the hands of law abiding citizen in this situation to bed.

Besides how would someone get a tank into a theater without disturbing the rest of the movie goers.....and without causing a lot of damage to the theater?

Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
Alan

You're not right if you have to put so many amendments to your opinion. If your argument is everyone should be a commando with top notch equipment to feel safe going out, you're just showing you've become even more of a caricature than you were before.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #20
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You're not right if you have to put so many amendments to your opinion. If your argument is everyone should be a commando with top notch equipment to feel safe going out, you're just showing you've become even more of a caricature than you were before.
So you're saying in such a situation it would have been better to throw popcorn at the mother fucker?

The "Commando' comment doesn't really hold very much water when you look at the gear I'm talking about (not that you're above talking out of your ass,instead of doing research about the firearms being discussed)

Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #21
Versus

Deadman, do you know that most people can't afford to buy a handgun, much less the ammunition to become proficient with one or bells and whistles like night sights and tac lights? It's pretty privileged of you to argue for that when it's out of most people's means. I mean for fuck's sake, a Smith and Wesson Governor is almost $700.

Speaking of, how the hell can you even afford one?

It's ridiculous to expect anyone to spend that much just to feel safe, something that should be inherently provided to them.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #22
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Deadman, do you know that most people can't afford to buy a handgun, much less the ammunition to become proficient with one or bells and whistles like night sights and tac lights? It's pretty privileged of you to argue for that when it's out of most people's means. I mean for fuck's sake, a Smith and Wesson Governor is almost $700.

Speaking of, how the hell can you even afford one?
The same way I've bought most of my firearms....it's called a layaway plan.

after bills are paid and other items have been taken care of the left over $50-$100 bucks a month and a firearm can be had in due time.

It's the less costly model ($679.00 M.S.R.P. I can add a set of crimson trace grips later if I want to do so) pretty affordable as far as large frame S&W revolvers go,plus the Bodyguard .380 is billed at an M.S.R.P. of $419.00 (Maybe less depending on the spot you buy from) the Bodyguard .380 also has a built in laser sight standard. (The bodyguard revolver has a grip mounted laser sight,which is again offered standard,at about $509.00 M.S.R.P. and could be had cheaper if the buyer were to shop around a bit)

I figure if folks can plop down lots of money for brand new cell phones,game systems and computers (Which for the most part cost more than the two handgun models mentioned,and need to be replaced every few years) they shouldn't have too much of a problem planning out a buy for a personal defense handgun (and ammo isn't as pricey as you would like to think,just like anything else it comes down to buying smart and planning out a few things ahead of time)

Old 07-22-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
Andrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
That's one of the things that pisses me off when fucked up situations like this happen. Everyone's looking for something or someone to blame, especially pop culture, be it gamers who like Grand Theft Auto or metalheads who headbang to Slayer, when the reality is only the person who pulled the trigger knows why he did it. What would they say if he had the bible in his hand? Probably dick. If he was a Muslim they would say he was a terrorist. If he had Anton LaVey's Satanic bible they'd say it was because he was a Satanist.
People will blame anything to find meaning or reason somewhere for some sense of closure. Most often, there are no answers, at least not rational ones.

It was a senseless act of violence.
Andrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #24
Deadmanwalking_05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrias View Post
People will blame anything to find meaning or reason somewhere for some sense of closure. Most often, there are no answers, at least not rational ones.

It was a senseless act of violence.
I blame the warped bastard that walked in and started pulling the trigger on a large group of unarmed movie goers.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
Versus

15% of Americans live in poverty as of 2011.

In 2007, 30% of low income (not poverty) persons paid more then half their income on housing.

The cost of child care for those in poverty averages to 30% of a households income, 18% for those living just above the poverty line.

On average, health care costs 60% of the income of low income households.

In 2008,
64% of low income households were found to have hardship with the cost of food.

The average cost of food for the bottom 20% of household income is 20%.

Listen to me, you privileged piece of shit. Millions of Americans can barely afford just to fucking live. They have to chose between paying their rent, raising their kids, keeping their family healthy, and feeding themselves. They do not make enough money to have all of that.

THEY HAVE TO CHOSE WHICH IS MORE IMPORTANT.

Do you fucking understand what that means? 250 fucking dollars is more then millions of Americans can dream about spending on bullshit like a fucking gun, a safety that SHOULD BE INHERENTLY PROVIDED TO THEM.

-Breathin, Tupac.