Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Saddiction

Clothing modifications

I have a sewing machine. I kinda know how to use it. I bought a new pair of PVC pants and the legs are too wide.How easy is it to take in the leg? I tried taking in the seam of another pair, but it resulted in the crotch area looking all wierd. If anyone can give a few tips, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Anguelon

first of all, the needle shouldn't be thick, it should be as thin as possible. I don't know what kind of machine u have, i personally own a Singer used for factories. PVC is very tricky when sewing it, u have to stretch the fabric a bit and don't let it clump by accident. Try using pattern paper when using the machine, it'll cause less damage to the fabric in case of a mishap.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
maggot

Anguelon, who are you? Use proper spelling and grammar. It hurts to read your drivel.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Anguelon

Who am i? A certified copywriter, u sweetheart need to pick on someone else. I think that there's a problem with using proper grammar and spelling on this site, don't know why i'm getting this problem today. I advise u to stick to the topic rather than picking on others. oh and btw, i'm an english teacher...go figure!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguelon
Who am i? A certified copywriter, u sweetheart need to pick on someone else. I think that there's a problem with using proper grammar and spelling on this site, don't know why i'm getting this problem today. I advise u to stick to the topic rather than picking on others. oh and btw, i'm an english teacher...go figure!
Honestly, no one on this site is going to give a shit about you or your teaching skills if you don't type correctly.
I'm an eighteen year old kid, and for all everyone on this site knows, way smarter and more proficient in English than you are.
So--show off your English skills by actually using them.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Saddiction

I agree with Ophelia.

Now, does anyone else have tips on taking in the leg without making the croth area look all funny? Perhaps this would be a question for DarkGentelman.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Cayca

Did you take the inside or outside seam in?
If the legs get too wide below my mid thigh I take them in at the outer seam, starting from mid thigh. If they are too wide all the length I take them in at the inside seam and I sometimes have to take the part of "crotch seam" (have no idea what to call it) in too (which is hell to do on jeans).
Cayca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #8
evilpoppy

Hmm, I tend to find scissors and safety pins a good place to start. I have pinned the crotch (underneath) in the past to tighten that area of the garment (although when the pins go it can hurt), and I am sure you could do a proper job. The legs I slice and then spiral wrap and fix with pins and velcro stuff.
evilpoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:11 AM   #9
Anguelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Honestly, no one on this site is going to give a shit about you or your teaching skills if you don't type correctly.
I'm an eighteen year old kid, and for all everyone on this site knows, way smarter and more proficient in English than you are.
So--show off your English skills by actually using them.
Well, Ms.Politeness, Maggot posed a question and I answered. Second, some do care if i type correctly or they wouldn't be telling me. Third, please don't go using generalizations by saying "everyone on this site...bla bla" And yes, u were right about one thing, u're just an eighteen year old kid, so i'll leave it at that. My dialect may differ from you but that doesn't give you the right to rage your english profiiciency here and there. Maybe, you should check your english skills before writing a simple paragraph with five fallacies.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #10
Methadrine

This is not a flame or anything, just a question of pure curiosity... If you teach english, then why do you use abbreviations like "u" "u're" and don't capitalize your "I"'s? That seems awfully weird if your job is an teacher in the english language, wouldn't you say?

The reason they complain is because it hurts the eyes to read sentences that are shortened in that fashion, and to some it has got to the point of being just bloody annoying.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
Anguelon

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
This is not a flame or anything, just a question of pure curiosity... If you teach english, then why do you use abbreviations like "u" "u're" and don't capitalize your "I"'s? That seems awfully weird if your job is an teacher in the english language, wouldn't you say?

The reason they complain is because it hurts the eyes to read sentences that are shortened in that fashion, and to some it has got to the point of being just bloody annoying.
I'm sorry , but don't you think that I get sick of that all day? Give me a break for crying out loud. I type and write all day long more than I speak. But since you pointed out the real problem, I promise to not write like that anymore. I think it's just a bad habit I picked up from chatting with my friends ( Stop typing like an English teacher!).I am sorry for any damages I've caused for anyone's eyes. Thank you Methadrine
Old 07-12-2007, 06:26 AM   #12
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayca
Did you take the inside or outside seam in?
If the legs get too wide below my mid thigh I take them in at the outer seam, starting from mid thigh. If they are too wide all the length I take them in at the inside seam and I sometimes have to take the part of "crotch seam" (have no idea what to call it) in too (which is hell to do on jeans).
I sewed the inside seam of some capries that had a bunch of designs on the side. Since the pair I want to tighten is plain pvc, I'll definately try to take it in from the outside seam. I'll be takig it in from the mid thigh. Hopefully I will be able to avoid the crotch area all together and end up with a pleasing result.

I want to tighten them so that I don't look like a dork when I tuck them into my boots.

Thanks for your reply, Cayca
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM   #13
Minyaliel

Saddiction, don't use needles to pin the pants with - the holes will stay there and might make the PVC more fragile. Use duct tape instead. Oh, and - http://www.mjtrends-forums.com/read-vinyl-9-0.html
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #14
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Well, Ms.Politeness, Maggot posed a question and I answered. Second, some do care if i type correctly or they wouldn't be telling me. Third, please don't go using generalizations by saying "everyone on this site...bla bla" And yes, u were right about one thing, u're just an eighteen year old kid, so i'll leave it at that. My dialect may differ from you but that doesn't give you the right to rage your english profiiciency here and there. Maybe, you should check your english skills before writing a simple paragraph with five fallacies.
Ok, what are they?

Doesn't matter. Now that was a sentence fragment. The difference is I'm writing conversationally, i.e., I'm writing how I speak. You're just typing things out all crazy and stupid like.

I guess I'll just go through all of your stupid points from the beginning now.
I wasn't trying to be polite, and I actually WAS polite to you earlier, and you didn't listen. Your fault.

We do care if you type correctly. Never said we wouldn't. I said we wouldn't care about you. So, don't misquote me and make yourself look like an ass.

And I will use generalizations, they're part of normal speech. You know, hyperbole? Or are you not the English teacher you say? What's more, I've been here a lot longer than you have, and I knew how they'd react--hence my being nice to you in a different thread before making this past post you had such a problem with.

PS--Yeah, I'm 18. But you spelled "proficiency" incorrectly. Good for you.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #15
Anguelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Ok, what are they?

Doesn't matter. Now that was a sentence fragment. The difference is I'm writing conversationally, i.e., I'm writing how I speak. You're just typing things out all crazy and stupid like.

I guess I'll just go through all of your stupid points from the beginning now.
I wasn't trying to be polite, and I actually WAS polite to you earlier, and you didn't listen. Your fault.

We do care if you type correctly. Never said we wouldn't. I said we wouldn't care about you. So, don't misquote me and make yourself look like an ass.

And I will use generalizations, they're part of normal speech. You know, hyperbole? Or are you not the English teacher you say? What's more, I've been here a lot longer than you have, and I knew how they'd react--hence my being nice to you in a different thread before making this past post you had such a problem with.

PS--Yeah, I'm 18. But you spelled "proficiency" incorrectly. Good for you.

Oh Hail Sheena ! Love they way you headbutt yourself! You go girl! But then all of a sudden I see, bla, bla , bla, yadda, yadda, bla, yadda, bla! Generalizations aren't part of normal speech, that's why they're called fallacies. Unless, being wrong all the time is normal to you OMighty one! Wow, you've been here alot longer than me, Oh crap, now I'll have a serious case of insomnia. If that's what you call being nice, then you have issues. I like the fact that you'd know how everyone would react, hence you're a sorry excuse for an Oracle! Now go crawl in your little corner and roll over. Just for the record , get off my case Ms. 8-inch Jaw.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #16
DarkGentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddiction
I agree with Ophelia.

Now, does anyone else have tips on taking in the leg without making the croth area look all funny? Perhaps this would be a question for DarkGentelman.
You have summoned me! lol.

For PVC I would used a Leather/vinyl machine needle and use longer stitch length on the machine as well.

I say a whole lot of things on how to do the alterations , but for a better visual way to explain how to, here is a link that should help.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00068.asp

And a link on sewing PVC fabrics.

http://www.mjtrends.com/sewing-pvc-v...bric-page1.php

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it turns out.
DarkGentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #17
KontanKarite

Actually, I've been witnessing some strange problems with my PVC pants.

I like vinyl and PVC. I love the way they look and feel but lately when I go out to clubs and start dancing, the stuff wants to rip. I think I'm being too hard on them but then I noticed that they ALWAYS start to rip in crotch area.

So what I was wondering is if it's a good idea to patch the crotch area of PVC pants with a stretchy kind of cloth on the inside.

Then again, I could just be buying some sad piece of shit PVC pants.

anyone know of any brands that are of good quality to begin with?

Lip Service can lick me for all I care.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #18
Saddiction

I bought a pair of PVC bondage pants back in '98 or '99. I didn't really have too many probles with tearing. As it aged, the PVC started to become dull. Perhaps the pants are too small for you?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #19
KontanKarite

Quote:
I bought a pair of PVC bondage pants back in '98 or '99. I didn't really have too many probles with tearing. As it aged, the PVC started to become dull. Perhaps the pants are too small for you?
I would be of the mind that the pants are a perfect fit. But that's probably the problem. They have a skinny jeans cut about them, so they fit my body, but they actually FIT like a glove. Plus, they probably haven't been made from 4 way stretch PVC.

Sorry for jacking your thread, Saddi.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 AM   #20
Methadrine

Never had any problems with my PVC pants either, and they definitely are one size too small in the crotch area. Just wear them some days when it's hot and they adjust to your body but as Saddiction says, they get dull. That can be fixed with a spray though of which I forgot the name of.. it makes the material look like it used to do, mostly...

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #21
KontanKarite

I should just reitterate. They fit perfectly around the legs and waist, but for some reason, the crotch is quite tight and I guess when I dance, it's a bit on the harder side. Not that I mosh around or anything, it's just the moves.

Chicken walking can be hell the crotch of your pants.

*wonders if anyone know what the hell he's talking about: Chicken Walking*

No, not that retarded looking chicken walking with the hands moving like a snake or chicken head. Not that...

Blast... I hate that name. Fine, let's just call it stomping.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #22
Saddiction

Haha Chicken Walking.. never heard of it, but it sounds funny. I know what you mean, though.

Don't worry about jacking this thread. At least it is somewhat relevant to the topic. I'd prefer to read about your experience with PVC rather than reading how being an 'english teacher' somehow exempts members from respecting the boards rules.

My complaint with PVC is that it can be oh-so-hot to wear when dancing.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #23
KontanKarite

Quote:
Haha Chicken Walking.. never heard of it, but it sounds funny. I know what you mean, though.

Don't worry about jacking this thread. At least it is somewhat relevant to the topic. I'd prefer to read about your experience with PVC rather than reading how being an 'english teacher' somehow exempts members from respecting the boards rules.

My complaint with PVC is that it can be oh-so-hot to wear when dancing.
Actually, now that I think about it... That's probably one of the reasons my PVC tears up so much. Usually after a night of stomping, I just PEEL the pvc off and put it aside for the next day and take a shower.

I'm aweful. I can't be bothered to do laundry at 4 in the morning. I bet it has a little bit to do with sweat. Actually, it isn't that bad at the moment.

Most of the time, it's the thread instead of the fabric that breaks, which is the case right now.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #24
Saddiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
I'm aweful. I can't be bothered to do laundry at 4 in the morning.
You hand wash your pvc, right? I've never put mine through a washing machine. I wash it in my bathtub and hang it up to dry. Maybe your crotch area is just too big to fit the pants (lol) ;D
Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #25
Solumina

Quote:
Wow, you've been here alot longer than me.
I just have to say that I never though that I would see an English teacher use "alot" instead of "a lot".

Anyway my grammar is far from perfect and I have been plagued by typo daemons from time to time, the thing is that when I was new I was very careful about what I typed (at the heart of this site it is still about literature after all) and when I wasn't people let me know it (Teapot gave me one hell of a flaming but I still loved the girl...in fact I miss her more than all but one of the other members). The thing is that a lot of people show up on this site who can hardly string together a sentence and there have been others who typed horridly just to annoy other members. Thankfully there haven't been any of those types for a while (at least that I know of) but for those of us who were here at the time it is still a bit of a sore spot. My point is to just let it go if someone says something about your typing and if it really bothers you then change the way you type, don't turn around and attack them. Everyone gets a little flame on here every now and then, just enjoy the warmth.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote