Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Delkaetre

Sexuality CAN be changed...

... in fruitflies, at least. A group of scientists has discovered a way of 'blocking' certain neurotransmitters, effectively turning the flies from straight to gay to straight.
If this research can be carried up through further levels, it may have some interesting implications for those who believe that homosexuality is a choice rather than something predetermined, built in to that individual.
It would also have worrying implications in that less scrupulous groups may be able to market 'de-gay' drugs to certain church ministries- "Don't like the way your son Jonny keeps looking at the nighbour's son, Kevin? Slip this into his cereal every morning and he'll never look that way again!"
Of course, if such drugs were widely marketed, that might allow people to 'test out' other gender preferences. Take this pill and be bisexual for a weekend, see what you think of it.
At any rate, this is going to be worth following up. I can see this becoming a very contentious issue.
There's more information in the article here-
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316316,00.html

For the record, I'm bi and will be very annoyed if anyone tries to change my preferences against my will.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
Draconysius

This is ludicrous. Leave it to scientists to find answers to the most useless of things, while ignoring the important issues like renewable energy and dwindling food resources. This is what humanity has come to, huh? Making flies gay instead of curing world hunger?
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
maggot

BUT IF YOU MAKE THE FLIES GAY THEY'LL DIE OUT AND STOP EATING OUR CROPS.

And all the birds and bats will die, effectively killing a good amount of wildlife.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Minyaliel

Oh no! Can't kill off the bats! :O
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
KontanKarite

This is complete horse shit.

I don't think I even have to articulate in the least, the social lash backs this would get from everyone.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Methadrine

Ok, so no one finds it fascinating that they've figured out a way to block certain neurotransmitters? That in itself is pretty neat. Could possibly be used to block malfunctioning transmitters and will help in further research of mental functions.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #7
KontanKarite

I think it's great. But I'm seeing a social back lash from current issues.

Of course it's great that this can help people in the future get over whatever it is that's disabling them. Hell, I could use it for a few things I think. Good times.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
skullie

And.. there planning on... turning us all gay?

Trust scientists to do something both brilliant and stupid. At the same time.
skullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Cain

Location: In a little hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside another hollow doll, inside...
Gosh, the title got me thinking about evil people with rubber gloves and sharp metal objects... but this is even more fun! Seriously now, a strawberry flavour gay-pill could well be the invention to end world hunger, war, irational exploitation of resources, the energy crisis and all the other nasties in just a few, short generations. Not to mention the recreational value (i really love the "bi for the weekend" ideea)!
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Beneath the Shadows

So.. heterosexuality really is a choice, after all?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Drake Dun

There's no point getting all bent out of shape over a discovery about facts of biology. Anyway, this lends credence to what gay rights activists have been hoping (and preemptively believing) the whole time - that homosexuality has proximate physiological roots.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:11 AM   #12
AngelikDemonik

I am happy to see that maybe now there will be proof that homosexuality is something you are born with.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
Drake Dun

Let's play a game. What will be the response of the religious right to this?

I see only two possibilities.

1) They wheedle and whine that a study on fruit flies shows nothing about humans.

2) They switch from calling homosexuality a "sinful life choice" to calling it a hereditary disease.

I don't think the modern religious have the guts to take the traditional Christian option of saying that yeah, you are born that way, but tough luck. You have to repudiate your nature to get close to God.

Drake
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 AM   #14
Post Modern Girl

I think they wont no longer see it as a choice OR something you are born with. They could simply run with it and claim that its neither, that gays should burn because there is a cure.

Religious nutcases rag my balls, at least it will keep them occupied for awhile.
Post Modern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
gothicusmaximus

I'm reminded of X-Men 3.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
drewsilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I'm reminded of X-Men 3.

I thought of that, also! How many poor souls will be dragged to the doctor to be "cured" once this thing hits the market?
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #17
Miss_Hazie_Lane

The amazing thing this study does suggest is: homosexuality is not a choice.

So, in other words, fuck you Christian right. The thing is, I doubt with the implications of this study anyone will want to be cured
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 PM   #18
Lapin

Though fascinating from a medical standpoint, one must realize that they're a long way off from getting this to even begin to work on humans, much less be marketable. As in, years off.

Maybe by then, enough of the major Christian Right leaders will have been outed or will have died, and this will never be an issue.

But, for the record, I like being how I am. I don't need to change.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
Hopeless_Joe

a hole is a hole. just make it quick so nobody sees!
Hopeless_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #20
Mon Coeur Noir

Great to see that they are spending their time and money wisely.

How's that cure for AIDS & Cancer commin' along?
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:41 AM   #21
Corpsey

Last I heard they had developed something called the Lazarus effect, nicely linked to the guy who came back from the dead at the hand of Jesus. It makes people get healthy if they have aids and allows them to live a heathy life. Besides that, only a few prostitutes in Africa have survived aids because of something in their immunity and scientists are looking into it.

Also, on cancer, the smartest person in the world (A person younger than us all probably) is cooking up something with very little funding that takes out the replicating cells.

Does that answer your question?

--------------------------------------------------------

What I fear about this is that if they prove that sexuality is a genetic choice, something you're born with, then it will lead to people being even more against homosexuals, with ideals that they have lesser blood or that straight people are genetically superior and that nonsense.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #22
dark_dragon_of_ice

I myself prefer the pursuit of knowledge over the ability to come up with new cures...though they are quite close together. Knowledge for the sack of knowledge is what I love =p
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #23
UnSeenEvil

Than again the gays could use it against the straights. Slip it into our water supply and the next thing you know we all checking out the same sex, and somehow this is all reminding me of the X-men movies as well. Or we could wait for all the Baby boomer's to die off. Remember when Ellen Degeneres first show got canceled because she turned out to be gay and people hated her for it, now look at her she's the most beloved lesbian on TV. In a few years we might see shows like Queer as folk,or OZ or that one cartoon with the gay Duck on national board casting. Just like that lame edited version of sex in the city.
Anyways, in a hundred years we'll probably all end up like the old Greeks, women for babies, men for pleasure. Gland I won't be there to see that.
UnSeenEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
Wormboy

Haha turn the world Bi and nobody will be single for very long ^_^. :-P This is scientific masturbation at it's finest!

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #25
Shadows_Jukebox

*Goes and barricades door* I'm scared...
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote