Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Sumerian Nephilim

Any recommendations for Traditional Gothic Rock Bands?

Ever since I first heard "The Nephilim" album by Fields of The Nephilim back in 2004 i've be come obsessed with this amazing band and I have all their albums including "Mourning Sun" which is great. Since discovering Fields of The Nephilim I'm always on the lookout for other traditonal gothic rock bands that are very guitar driven, and of lately I've discovered some really excellent bands that match this criteria, both old & new:

Opened Paradise
Nosferatu
Bauhaus
The Mission UK
NFD
Voices of Masada

I already love these bands so don't mention them, Sisters of Mercy & Joy Division. I'm basically just trying to find some excellent suggestions for both old & new trad goth bands, so some help would be appreciated.
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
zeronegativeplus

Yes, you should listen to

The Wake
Rosetta Stone
Big Electric Cat
Farenheit 451
Christian Death
Mephisto Walz
Gitane Demone
The Sisters Of Mercy
Alien Sex Fiend
The Virgin Prunes
Fields of the Nephilim
Nosferatu
Inkubus Succubus
zeronegativeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM   #3
Sumerian Nephilim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeronegativeplus
Yes, you should listen to

The Wake
Rosetta Stone
Big Electric Cat
Farenheit 451
Christian Death
Mephisto Walz
Gitane Demone
The Sisters Of Mercy
Alien Sex Fiend
The Virgin Prunes
Fields of the Nephilim
Nosferatu
Inkubus Succubus

Thanks I'll definitly check them out, but I already know and love some of these bands already such as Fields of the Nephilim, The Sisters Of Mercy & Nosferatu. Their are only two bands on this list I did'nt like, The Virgin Prunes & Alien Sex Fiend but I will definitly check the others that you mentioned.
Sumerian Nephilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #4
Draconysius

We're going to get along just great, my friend. I feckin LOVE FotN! Now, for some recommendations.

the House of Usher
(Their vocalist sounds like Carl McCoy (FotN), and their overall sound does to some extent.)

Passion Noire
(Vastly underrated in my opinion. A bit poppy in the Cure sense, but not to be missed.)

Red Temple Spirits
(One of the more unique goth rock bands I've heard. They've got heavy tribal underlyings.)

some others...
Theatre of Hate
Play Dead
the Garden of Delight
Autumn
New Days Delay
Belfegore
Die Laughing
Love Like Blood
Party Day
a Spectre is Haunting Europe
Kommunity FK
the March Violets
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Signe

Yep, they pretty much covered most of them. Hey, I heard some great song by Usherhouse that I listened to over and over in the clinic, I guess that could be the same as House of Usher, not too familiar with them.

Sunglasses After Dark
Type O Negative
Apocalyptica
Screaming Dead
Signe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
honeythorn

Apocalyptica?? Since when were they a tradgoth band exactly?
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
Signe

Maybe not traditional, but I used to listen to them some and they are pretty good. More of an instrumental goth band, I guess, not traditional in the sense that Siouxsie and the Banshees are, exactly.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
honeythorn

They are not a goth band in any sense of the word. They are a metal band. End of. They play metal. Albeit on cellos and they do it very well. But they have nothing to do with goth/gothic rock at all.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Signe

Haha. What a "gothier than thou" you are. Goth: Things gloomy, eerie, spooky, related to death...

...They make very depressed eerie music, I do not know if you noticed that.

Personally, I prefer the really loud screamy music over the traditionally gothic music or instrumental music. I do not care what genre it is, I like the avant-garde kind, the kind that is completely different from anything else.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signe
Haha. What a "gothier than thou" you are. Goth: Things gloomy, eerie, spooky, related to death...

...They make very depressed eerie music, I do not know if you noticed that.

Do not fucking patronise me. I was politely pointing out a blatantly obvious fact. The OP asked for tradgoth bands and Apocalyptica are not one.

I have found very few of their songs to be depressing in the slightest. Haunting and sad at times yes, songs such as Farewell and Bittersweet are certainly fitting of that description. But many of the songs are fast in tempo, and are blatantly metal despite being played on cellos. Compare their sound and influences ( Metallica hint hint ) to the bands Drac has listed. Go figure. There is no gothy mcgoth goth needed to make use of the ears you were born with.

Since the OP asked for tradgoth bands, I merely questioned your putting them in your list, as they are clearly not one. Someone with half an ear could tell that.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
Signe

Well, I did not hear much by them, I mostly heard the gothic gloomy ones.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Signe

(Of their songs)
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
honeythorn

Then perhaps educate yourself before jumping to conclusions and being snarky towards people.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
Signe

No, I did not do anything, you are the one who acted like you think you are the goth-expert. Maybe you have not heard their gothic songs, but what I heard of them was very typically goth.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
honeythorn

I have made no claims of being any sort of goth expert. The music style and general culture are 30 years old for fucks sake. That is a shitload to get through. I learn new things all the time. As everyone should.

Why are you so up in arms over a simple questioning of your choice? I merely pointed out it's oddness when the Op asked for tradgoth bands.

Also, you said not a few moments ago that you had not heard very much of their material.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #16
Draconysius

Quote:
No, I did not do anything, you are the one who acted like you think you are the goth-expert. Maybe you have not heard their gothic songs, but what I heard of them was very typically goth.
Listen to the bands that defined the genre gothic rock, then listen to Apocalyptica. There are no similarities between them, besides maybe image or subject matter. And these are not what define a genre.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #17
KontanKarite

Quote:

Rule number one of goth rock. REMOVE any inkling you might have about goth having anything to do with metal in the slightest.

Look up any band from the Batcave and lookup any post-punk band and you will learn unbelievably fast that metal NEVER had anything to do with goth in the slightest.

Oh, and the comment about things being gloomy and eerie and depressing. Drop that shit. Nearly every goth band I've ever heard sounded like intelligent punk lyrics with a dash of glam and a bit more artsy direction with the punk sound.

Unless I'm completely wrong, the whole depressing dark imagery is a product of a misunderstanding.

Someone out there name one song by one goth rock band that was depressing and gloomy, and a bit eerie. I've yet to actually hear it.

You know what's depressing and gloomy? Country music. Garth Brooks and country in general is quite possibly the saddest and most depressing music I've ever heard. Pus, a steel guitar can be QUITE eerie.

Metal... has nothing to do with goth rock. Plain and simple. Industrial and EBM also has nearly next to nothing to do with goth rock so Combichrist and SPK and Throbbing Gristle has very little to do with goth rock as well.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
Signe

Well, I heard Apocalyptica and all I heard by them was typically goth. Except for Bittersweet. That is fruity crap.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
KontanKarite

...I just listened to Apoc just now. No offense, but are you sure you know what goth rock sounds like?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #20
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Someone out there name one song by one goth rock band that was depressing and gloomy, and a bit eerie. I've yet to actually hear it.
"Hollow Hills" by Bauhaus! "Marian" by the Sisters of Mercy! But yeah, most goth rock is far more mopey than eerie.

BY THE WAY... to the thread starter, I might also recommend my band, Address Unknown, as FotN is one of our biggest influences, and in our latest track, "This Human Virion", I think it's very evident. Check us out here.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #21
Wormboy

Quote:
Rule number one of goth rock. REMOVE any inkling you might have about goth having anything to do with metal in the slightest.

Look up any band from the Batcave and lookup any post-punk band and you will learn unbelievably fast that metal NEVER had anything to do with goth in the slightest.

Oh, and the comment about things being gloomy and eerie and depressing. Drop that shit. Nearly every goth band I've ever heard sounded like intelligent punk lyrics with a dash of glam and a bit more artsy direction with the punk sound.

Unless I'm completely wrong, the whole depressing dark imagery is a product of a misunderstanding.

You know what's depressing and gloomy? Country music. Garth Brooks and country in general is quite possibly the saddest and most depressing music I've ever heard. Pus, a steel guitar can be QUITE eerie.

Metal... has nothing to do with goth rock. Plain and simple. Industrial and EBM also has nearly next to nothing to do with goth rock so Combichrist and SPK and Throbbing Gristle has very little to do with goth rock as well.
No Time to Cry by Sisters of Mercy is a bit gloomy.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #22
honeythorn

I crimp mah hair to the sound of the Neph
Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
KontanKarite

I stand corrected on the gloomy bit. But alas...

The rest still stands. Goth has nothing to do with metal... ever.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
Rorschach Twin

Quote:
I stand corrected on the gloomy bit. But alas...

The rest still stands. Goth has nothing to do with metal... ever.
It really depends. It's a bit mopey, and a bit eerie.. actually a lot of both.

Well, there is actually Gothic Metal. For instance, bands like Theatre of Tragedy. Don't start and say "blah no gothic rock influence." They don't really claim to be that, it's more of a Romantic era, 19th Century Gothic. I mean, Fields of the Nephilim's last album was actually clearly heavily influenced by metal, although more likely sludge than any normal type.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #25
KontanKarite

Rorschach... no.

Gothic Metal has nothing to do with goth. I think we've all hashed out that goth rock and anything "Gothic" has little to do with each other save that goth rock borrowed a bit of gothic themes here and there.

Bah, this is turning into a goth powerword game again. That's lame.

If people want to lump Lacuna Coil up next to Bauhaus, so be it.