Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Pineapple_Juice

Mineral vs. Liquid Foundations

So I use Neutrogena liquid foundation but there are some issues with it. First off, it's probably not vegan, and second, it's semi-sheer. I want something with full-coverage. I saw a mineral powder foundation advertised as full-coverage, but I don't understand how a powder could possibly cover as much as a liquid can. Am I wrong or is it most likely just sensational advertising?

I do not understand makeup therefor it sucks.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
vindicatedxjin

I had the same exact problem. I started using maybelline mineral foundation. It's liquid but its..well minerals. And it covers really good but isn't all sticky like other foundations. It really helps if you use it with the same product concealer...although I don't know if you use concealer or not. Either way it works great. I've tried using the powder mineral foundation and although I like it somewhat it doesn't give me very good coverage, and causes my face to look kinda splotchy but thats just me. I have wierd skin due to the asian in me. It might work great for you.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Malice In Wonderland

I use a liquid cheap one from Natural Collection I think...

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
FlowerGirl

That's a good question...I'm considering between powder and liquid, since I have never used foundation before. Which one is better for non-oily/normal skin?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Pineapple_Juice

Probably any. My question was whether or not a powder foundation could literally cover as well as a liquid.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
vindicatedxjin

Unless you get a really good/probably pricey one, then I would guess no. Like I said it seemed splotchy to me.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
Amunet

I've used it and personally the mineral powder doesn't seem to have as much coverage/smoothness to it. I prefer liquid any day.

I think it really might depend on whats good for your specific skin... I have an oily Tzone, (eyes nose area) but pretty smooth medium skin everywhere else. If you're trying for an all over flawless smooth without caking, or anything like that, I actually recommend liquid that has some base to it. Like i said, it really depends on your skin type. Try out a few, and see what works. sometimes you can use that sheen foundation you have already as a base and then use the mineral powder over and that can give a airbrush perfect look.

hope that was helpful =)
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Underwater Ophelia

Why do women wear foundation? Seriously...I think it looks like shit, and I've never heard a guy say anything except it was unattractive. It's also bad for your skin, so why do you guys wear it?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Amunet

not too sure. its about preference usually. I like to use it only around my eyes and nose to blend the uneven skin tones, I look like I'm sickly without the brightening up. Some people just have better skin than others. I think as long as you take care of your skin, wash the stuff off at night, etc you're fine. Like I said, all about personal preference.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Underwater Ophelia

Well, of course, but I'm asking WHY you prefer it.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #11
Amunet

well I just said, because personally, I look sickly without using it. So I use a bit around my eyes and blend into my nose for an even look. Women wear makeup because of the appearance factor. Or theatrical reasons. (still appearances)

I mean, why do you wear makeup/or not wear makeup...

when you think about it, most all makeup is bad for your skin. It's not something we were born with, its foreign to the body, same for deodorant, perfumes, anything unnatural. So if a woman (or man) decides she (he) likes the way it looks, regardless of the wear on her (his) body, then that is what she (he) chooses.

I would think that I would probably scare small children if I did not wear some amount of makeup... but this is just me haha.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
FlowerGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
Why do women wear foundation? Seriously...I think it looks like shit, and I've never heard a guy say anything except it was unattractive. It's also bad for your skin, so why do you guys wear it?
Cover up spots and ugly blemishes that stand out...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #13
Malice In Wonderland

Actually in all the leaflets I've had from my doctor on my skin, it said that the whole foundation is bad for your skin thing is a myth and your skin will be fine as long as you wash it off before sleeping.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
If I had naturally good skin I wouldn't. Unfortunately I had acne problems and I have small pink spot scars on my face-none of the puckered hole looking scars, but still. If I left the house like that I'd be pretty embarrassed. Also, I have some pretty dark under eye circles.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #15
vindicatedxjin

I look completely washed out if I don't wear foundation, my mom has horrible pitey english skin, that I just HAD to pop out with. The only way my skin looks decent is if I tan or wear foundation.

Bring Kontan Back
Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

So what I did was I went and bought some really expensive cream foundation from Urban Decay. It's horrible. It's so fake looking. Also, apparently my skin is dryer than I thought because as soon as I put this crapola on, my cheeks look dry and flaky.
I wasted over 30 dollars on this caca.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #17
honeythorn

I use a very small dot of Olay touch of foundation ( basically a tinted moisturiser) on my cheeks where most of my acne scarring is , and that's also a dry area so it softens that bit. Then I dot a little pale concealer ( rimmel) on any spots, and top off with a mineral powder foundation I got off ebay. They do a really pale one, and also white I just use whichever I pick up first . Now white liquid foundation looks horrific on everyone but this mineral powder I've got gives the paleness without making me look like a clown. Damn good stuff. I bought a couple of small trial size pots, only a couple of quid each, when they run out I'll get a bigger pot.

All in all I get no steaks or lines, it blends in really well and once it's settled ( 10 mins) my skin looks a lot better.

The ebay shop I use does mineral eyeshadows and so on too. I have a really nice peach eyeshadow from there.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
So what I did was I went and bought some really expensive cream foundation from Urban Decay. It's horrible. It's so fake looking. Also, apparently my skin is dryer than I thought because as soon as I put this crapola on, my cheeks look dry and flaky.
I wasted over 30 dollars on this caca.
Maybe you should try again. Start with washing and moisturizing your face and putting on the foundation after. If you get flaky again, then maybe it's time to take it back.

Did they sit down with you and match all the possible shades with your skin tone or did they just grab the shade you needed?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Pineapple_Juice

He color matched me. The color suits me fine, it's just that it looks extremely fake. It's obvious that I am wearing makeup wherever this stuff sits. I notice that if I use Aveeno body moisturizer it makes my skin less flaky and softer all around, but then I break out. When I use the Neutrogena stuff I have, it's not as good but I don't break out. I need to find a good moisturizer, but I think the makeup is just crap because the guy who color tested me said he was wearing the same thing and it looked bad on him.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #20
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
I use a very small dot of Olay touch of foundation ( basically a tinted moisturiser) on my cheeks where most of my acne scarring is , and that's also a dry area so it softens that bit. Then I dot a little pale concealer ( rimmel) on any spots, and top off with a mineral powder foundation I got off ebay. They do a really pale one, and also white I just use whichever I pick up first . Now white liquid foundation looks horrific on everyone but this mineral powder I've got gives the paleness without making me look like a clown. Damn good stuff. I bought a couple of small trial size pots, only a couple of quid each, when they run out I'll get a bigger pot.

All in all I get no steaks or lines, it blends in really well and once it's settled ( 10 mins) my skin looks a lot better.

The ebay shop I use does mineral eyeshadows and so on too. I have a really nice peach eyeshadow from there.
Thanks for that.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
honeythorn

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/returnallh...akeupskincare/

That's the place if you're interested. The stuff will look powdery on your skin for a few minutes, then it sinks in and looks ok.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #22
Pineapple_Juice

Oh cool, thankies. I'm looking through it as we speak.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
Solumina

PJ you need to find a good facial moisturizer, you shouldn't be putting body lotion on your face as the skin is more delicate and it will cause irritation. If your face is well moisturized any makeup that apply will go on smoother and look better.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #24
Pineapple_Juice

Quite right, I normally use a facial moisturizer from Neutrogena, but I happened to not have any on hand and picked up Aveeno as a last ditch effort.
I need to find something better though, and I doubt Neutrogena is vegan which is my problem with it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #25
honeythorn

I don't know if LUSH ship to the US or have stores there, I presume they do, but you could try them for a moisturiser. A lot of their products are vegetarian and also vegan. If you haven't tried them already that is.