Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Versus

Veteran Job Qualification Bill

Quote:
Veterans would be able to apply their military training more readily toward the federally issued licenses needed in certain civilian jobs, under legislation advancing in Congress.

The House on Monday passed the Veterans Skills to Jobs Act, which would require that relevant military training qualifies for the training or certification requirements for occupational licenses issued by the federal government, unless the military training is found to be substantially different from the requirements for the license.

“Rather than forcing veterans to go through redundant training for jobs they are already qualified for, this legislation directs the head of each federal department and agency to treat relevant military training as sufficient to satisfy training or certification requirements for federal license,” sponsoring Rep. Jeff Denham (R-Calif.) said during House consideration. “Veterans with the relevant training would be eligible to receive a federal license and get back to work immediately.”

The Senate passed a similar bill last month but another Senate vote will be needed before the plan can be sent to the White House, a spokeswoman for Denham said.

The federal government controls occupational licenses in areas including the aerospace, communications, energy and maritime sectors. States meanwhile control occupational licensing in many fields; on introducing the bill earlier this year, Denham said that several states already require their licensing boards to take into account relevant military training.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce and veterans’ organizations support the bill and a recent Pentagon report cited acceptance of military training for civilian credentialing as a strategy for reducing unemployment among veterans.

In a statement released by the White House, President Obama said, “No veteran who fought for our nation overseas should have to fight for a job when they return home. That’s why I’m pleased that Democrats and Republicans in Congress have come together to pass legislation that will make it easier for veterans to put their skills to work . . . we must all continue our efforts to ensure that these talented men and women who would be an asset to any company have every opportunity to succeed after they serve our nation.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/veterans-job-qualifications-bill-advances/2012/07/09/gJQA8E0GZW_blog.html

Pretty cool, considering that they're basically kicking people out for anything and everything to meet the numbers for the draw down. I know that, for some reason, schools that soldiers can take like EMT or language courses don't mean shit on the outside. It doesn't really effect anyone in my career field, but it's a start.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Solumina

That isn't necessarily true of the language training, it depends on where you go, for example DLI is fully accredited so courses there count as much as courses at any university and many students get an associates degree from his time there (you just have to take care of your gen eds elsewhere). That being said it certainly is true of the job training that service members receive and I do know of many people who are trained to perform at the highest level in their field, medics especially, but because they are not certified as soon as they get out they can only get an entry level position so this will be a big help, and quite frankly is something that should have been done a long time ago but it certainly is better late than never.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
Versus

I know that DLI is recognized universally in government agencies because the DLPT is specifically designed as a standardized test that each department can understand, but it really doesn't mean anything outside of that. Universities still test you for the degree, rather then immediately recognize your certification like they should do. I took a 6 month language school and scored a 2 on the DLPT, but I'd still have to take a separate test to get any kind of credentials in the outside.

But yeah. Medics especially get boned.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Versus

I just realized how nonsensical I sound. What I mean to say is DLI can give you a degree, but you can't take DLI courses and use them to get a degree else where, like in the civilian side.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Solumina

I was pretty sure you could transfer the credits to other schools, there are just no options for professional certificates or anything like at most community colleges.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Versus

That might be it, honestly. I looked around a bit but I couldnt find the specifics and it could even just be different for me. I remember being pretty annoyed when I found out. Stupid piece of paper isn't even worth points for the army's system of NCO promotion even before it was changed last year.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
AshleyO

I think I could probably only do stuff like police and security. Ew. I don't like those things.

Even if I were to go into policing, I'd much rather have a refresher course or basically go back through all that stuff over again.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
ape descendant

Wooo! Its about time, you guys, seriously.

The thing that had been confusing me for the longest time, is how some one can be a medic in motherfucking BATTLE, but isn't qualified to respond to civilian emergencies.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
AshleyO

There's more to being a medic than what they teach you in the HC.

I'd say that maybe after a few years of experience it'd be alright.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

Why did i go in as military police? I could have benefitted much more as an IT.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
BourbonBoy

I really do hope it comes in. I could use the credits from the Signal School at Ft. Gordan.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote