Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #51
Noirette

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.the.moon View Post
I agree with this (not the part about him being a stupid emo boy though). Although leaving your house at a young age might not be the healthiest thing ever, sometimes it is less unhealthy than staying in your house, (but if you leave b/c you can't go out until your grades are up,then that is just plain stupid). Also, moving out might turn out to be even worse. It is all a matter of making smart and tactful decisions. In my situation things turned out extremly well, and I moved out when I was 14...
Only yesterday I understood a very important thing about that - The thing that matters most is WHERE do you live.
When my parents left Russia, people got stabbed in every corner, for no reason. Not stabbed, r@ped and robbed. Just stabbed. Decisions mean nothing at that kind of a situation.
But on the pther hand, if you are in a place like that, most chances you dob't have access to internet also.
So unless you live in a really fcked-up place, it's mostly about you and you're desicions.

May I ask you how you managed to pay rent and everything and why you moved out at such a young age, or is it too personal?
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #52
alelogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
I want a gift card to a major department store.

I don't really know what I want anymore. I always get a gift certificate and go shopping. I've recieved other things. A few years ago, I got a scanner...
Lucky! wish i was also gifted those small packages of happiness.
alelogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #53
Apathy's_Child

I've decided this year that I'm not buying any presents for anybody except the younger kids. We're making everything - things like slippers, finished and laminated comic strips featuring characters based on the older kids, and Karin and I made an embroidered patchwork duck with a giant button for an eye for the youngest baby's bedroom (I sketched, we both did the patchwork cutting, she sewed). It's been really fun and I have to say, we've done a pretty fuckin' bang-up job on everything. We also made a huge hand-crafted photograph album for my mom, and I have to go steal some photos from the big cardboard box on top of her closet next time I'm over there.

I'm pretty good at gifts and normally love finding things for people, but I figured it was time I quit bitching about materialism and actuallly did something like this. It's taken about 10 weeks of prep all told, but it's been really fun.

I've told my family I don't actually need anything besides maybe a couple of books, but they never listen. So I've probably got a shit ton of clothes coming. Suits me - I hate clothes shopping with a fucking passion.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #54
Noirette

I got a Hard disk and a cable for my speakers this year. I'm still wondering what should I get for myself. I had to find a way to give my sisters presents though I don't have much money or time, so I ended up looking in any store for things that might interest them for the last two months. The result is two cute carton bags full of nice things. Thy're twins, so I wanted to make something individual for each one of them. I hope they'll like it. (:
I still wonder if I should get anything for my parents, and what. Guess I'll buy them a et of teacups or something.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #55
in.the.moon

QUOTE=Noirette;645289
When my parents left Russia, people got stabbed in every corner, for no reason. Not stabbed, r@ped and robbed. Just stabbed. Decisions mean nothing at that kind of a situation.
---So your parents left because of this situation? because that is an awesome decision to make when things like these are happening in your country

But on the pther hand, if you are in a place like that, most chances you dob't have access to internet also.
---??

So unless you live in a really fcked-up place, it's mostly about you and you're desicions.
---?...

May I ask you how you managed to pay rent and everything and why you moved out at such a young age, or is it too personal?
---Like I said before, I was really lucky. Shortly after I moved out my friend's parents told me I could live with them. They didn't ask for rent, grocery money, utilities etc...They bought me clothes and basically treated me like if I was their daughter, and this surely beats staying in the park's playground and having to run when two creepy guys walk up on you! so I was a happy person with such living arrangements.
/QUOTE
in.the.moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #56
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I've decided this year that I'm not buying any presents for anybody except the younger kids. We're making everything - things like slippers, finished and laminated comic strips featuring characters based on the older kids, and Karin and I made an embroidered patchwork duck with a giant button for an eye for the youngest baby's bedroom (I sketched, we both did the patchwork cutting, she sewed). It's been really fun and I have to say, we've done a pretty fuckin' bang-up job on everything. We also made a huge hand-crafted photograph album for my mom, and I have to go steal some photos from the big cardboard box on top of her closet next time I'm over there.

I'm pretty good at gifts and normally love finding things for people, but I figured it was time I quit bitching about materialism and actuallly did something like this. It's taken about 10 weeks of prep all told, but it's been really fun.

I've told my family I don't actually need anything besides maybe a couple of books, but they never listen. So I've probably got a shit ton of clothes coming. Suits me - I hate clothes shopping with a fucking passion.
I really want to do this, being back in school full time with no job has really taken a toll on my wallet and the politics of buying gifts is stressing me out, my sister is very materialistic and wants to spend a huge amount of money on everyone, and I feel like I gotta spend a lot of money that I don't have or I'm an ingrate. I could only afford a video game for her though, so I'm giving her a few books I have already that I really liked and think she will too, and hopefully will get something knitted in time.

I'm putting my foot down now for next year though, itchy sweaters for all!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote