Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Dark Cabaret, Twee Pop, and Old School Goth

Ok, so being the pretensious indie fuck that I am, I was listening to The Maths And Physics club and the boy least likely to today, and suddenly I realized it reminded me of something... and that something was... The Smiths, if you listen the vocal quality is very simaler, as is the musical style, the songs Be Gentle With Me, and Darling won't you please come home remind me quite strikingly of several songs on the queen is dead (cheifly cemetary gates, which just happens to be one of my absolute most beleoved songs of all time) and again I was listening to World/Inferno Friendship Society, and they remind me of the smiths, and the cure, but more the Smith's (here reffer to frankly mister shankley, and charming side of drunk, Secret Service, and almost anything else by World/Inferno) Lately I've been finding that dark cabaret holds a lot more of the old gothic spirit, it less pretensious, and tends to hold a more old school goth audience (which was comrpised mainly of arty types with good senses of humor, and acurate historical reffrences) I feel like a lot of goth today has gotten caught up with metal heads, and the ren faire crowd, and I don't dislike either of these factions, but I do feel that goth in it's truest and most basic form is more intellectual than the former, and less "mystic" than the later, and I feel as if it's lost some of the origional driving force behind it by becomign so defuse. It also shares a sensability with twee pop in that they are both types of music origonally meant to be made by "sensative intellecuals" and they both embrace fear in different ways, twee pop tends to embrace one's own fearfulness, making it acceptable to be frightend, goth tends to embrace fearfulness as a way of coping with one's own fear. Anyway, umm, that's my two cents, please excuse the spelling, it's late, I'm crashing off my caffine buzz.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
VampiricYouth

Errrr...Revue Noir? :O
VampiricYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
maggot

Define "twee pop" for me?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #4
Minyaliel

That's why much of my music collection consists of bands/ artists from the 1980's and earlier. Dark Cabaret, by the way, is a wonderful music genre.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Miss_Hazie_Lane

Twee pop: An off shoot of shoe gaze origionating in England, bands such as: I'm From Barcelona, The Boy Least Likely To, and Math and Physics Club fall into the genre, it's very gentle, and sweet, often with a somewhat cute or melencholy theme, often both. Instrumentation varies widely, vocalists are frequently male with adolecent sounding soft, or effeminante sounding voices
Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
SKot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Hazie_Lane
Lately I've been finding that dark cabaret holds a lot more of the old gothic spirit, it less pretensious, and tends to hold a more old school goth audience (which was comrpised mainly of arty types with good senses of humor, and acurate historical reffrences)
I like the dark cabaret movement, and would be happy to see more of it. I think it does have some of what's been missing from goth for a while. But if you want to see a movement (actually more of a revival) that really captures the old gothic spirit, check out the New Death Rock thing that's going on. Drop Dead magazine is a great place to see what it's all about (and you can actually pick it up at Hot Topic of all places). Here is a movement of mainly younger people who both respect and love the original Goth Rock and Death Rock bands from the 80s, while moving forward with newer Death Rock/Death Punk bands that are taking that style forward. It's both retro and progressive at the same time, and promotes a lot more of the punkier DIY style that the goth scene started with. I, for one, heartily approve.

Quote:
I feel like a lot of goth today has gotten caught up with metal heads, and the ren faire crowd, and I don't dislike either of these factions, but I do feel that goth in it's truest and most basic form is more intellectual than the former, and less "mystic" than the later, and I feel as if it's lost some of the origional driving force behind it by becomign so defuse.
Goth is Goth and Metal is Metal, and never the twain should meet.

Unfortunately, Europe (and particularly Germany) has been doing its best to mix the two to form a bastard 'Gothic Metal' genre. To me, it's like oil and water... but what can you do?

Take a look around this board alone, and you'll see post after post by wet-behind-the-ears kiddies proclaiming their ultimate gothness while listing half a dozen obvious metal bands as their favorite 'goth' groups. All you can do is hope they learn while they're here.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote