Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #126
creature6

Seriously this argument can carry on forever its a bit like watching a tennis game with balls flying in every direction with only a few that seem to know what they are talking about.
I personally think that it does not matter if you are thin or a size 12/14/16....as long as you are comfortable in your own skin and are healthy .

As for the models issue ,i don't really find that subject interesting.
no offence but it start to be a bit boring.
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #127
Alan

Indeed. Still, most will argue that size 12 is not plus-sized just because they don't want to be considered plus-sized. That name is so scary. They wouldn't want to be the lard-asses they claim we thin people are calling them.
Seriously, by being so fervently in denial that size 12 is plus-sized, THEY'RE the ones that are saying there's something wrong with it! Otherwise why are they so fixated on pretending it's not a plus size?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #128
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsylumVoid View Post
That is Masuimi Max (it isn't her best picture but that is clearly her), she is approximately the same size I am which would put her at about a size 4, way to go.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #129
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
In the modeling/fashion industry size 12 would definitely be considered plus size (and I'm talking Australian size 12, about the same as the UK 12 and smaller than the US 12), but that doesn't necessarily mean 'fat'. Plenty of plus size models don't look the slightest bit overweight because they're well proportioned and healthy. They just don't fit the mould of a fashion coathanger.

That's on models though. I'm pretty sure most 'plus size' clothing stores cater towards the 16-24 crowd, which might be where the confusion arises...?

Clothing size is a completely inaccurate way to describe body type anyway. Too much variation both in the clothes and the bodies that wear them.
THIS. Go into any shop, and you WILL NOT find size 12 clothing in the plus size areas. Nor will you find it in catalogues.

A 14 could, arguably be considered a plus size, but again it depends on the body proportions. Many ( not all ) women I have seen who are a 14 don't look anything close to being fat or overweight, they basically have wide hips or a large build which no amount of diet and excercise will change.

Quote:
Seriously, by being so fervently in denial that size 12 is plus-sized, THEY'RE the ones that are saying there's something wrong with it! Otherwise why are they so fixated on pretending it's not a plus size?
Wrong again. No one has said that being a plus size is horrific, it's not great but it isn't the end of the universe and can be changed ( which is why I am on a diet myself) No one is pretending a 12 isn't a plus size because IT ISN'T a plus size in any store or catalogue I or anyone else I know has looked in.

On a catwalk they would consider a 12 to be huge but only because all the other models are for the most part, severely underweight for their tall height.

In the real world where people wear normal clothing that isn't a piece of surrealist art, a 12 is not in any way shape or form a plus size.

Quote:
12 is the smallest plus size
It isn't any sort of plus size small or large, google does not walk to town or go to work everyday, people with normal vision do.

Quote:
Those thunder thighs would make Zeus jealous.
Clearly something is wrong with your vision if you think the woman in that picture is anything close to being fat or has large thighs. She has a flat stomach, proprtional legs, yes including her thighs and is generally toned.

If you have a fetish for anorexic people that's your business but keep your innacurate observations of body mass in your own head, you're just making a fool of yourself on a subject you clearly know bugger all about.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #130
JCC

So I started up Internet Explorer and the first thing the Guardian website greeted me with was

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...-and-wellbeing

Creepy.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #131
honeythorn

She's a 14, not a 12. A 14 can be classed as the smaller end of plus size, but not a 12. And anyone who weighs roughly more than 6 and a half stone will be classed as gargantuan by catwalk fashion designers. These people do not live in reality.

Quote:
The irony, of course, is that Crystal Renn is really not fat. She's not even chubby. She's 5ft 9in. Her vital statistics are 38-31-42
Old 09-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #132
honeythorn

Quote:
In the real world she'd be pretty average
Well would you look at that.... And considering her height, she wouldn't look remotely fat or overweight. She most likely isn't. And before anyone even starts on the picture included at the top of the article, she doesn't have a gut, look at the way she's standing with her back arched.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #133
JCC

If she's 5'9 and 12 stone she's right on the border of being overweight.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #134
honeythorn

Yes but even so, she looks perfectly normal and proportional . She could lose 2 stone and the catwalks would still consider her to be massive and she blatantly isn't.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #135
JCC

http://images.fashionmodeldirectory....l_renn-fit.jpg

You're not convincing me that she doesn't look chubby. If she's happy the way she is, great, but she's undeniably chunky.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #136
honeythorn

Yes she's big in that one, and the article said she has gone up to a UK 18 which is most likely when that particular picture was taken.

But plenty of the others show a perfectly normal sized woman.

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/cr/crystal42.jpg

http://www.judgmentofparis.com/cr/crystal04.jpg

No fat rolls or lumps visible and appears toned. Those aren't airbrushed very well if at all.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:33 AM   #137
JCC

Nah, I think she looks a little tubby there too.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #138
honeythorn

In which case you need a vision test regardless of your taste in women. You can't possibly tell me that toned is the same as chubby or fat. She has no gut, no side roll and no flabby underarms or legs .
Old 09-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #139
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
In which case you need a vision test regardless of your taste in women. You can't possibly tell me that toned is the same as chubby or fat. She has no gut, no side roll and no flabby underarms or legs .
No...I'd say she looks chubby, too.
Not gross, not FAT, but she does not look healthy.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:48 AM   #140
JCC

It's the thighs. If you put some twigs in between her legs she'd be able to start a fire with that chafing.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #141
Cicero

Wow, I used to think I was too harsh on my standards of fatness...

That Crystal chick looks fine, and I doubt she'll be keeling over from diabetes or hypertension any time soon either. But I don't like how that article on her implied that thin people don't eat.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #142
honeythorn

I just used a few basic BMI calculators. I know these are not absolutely bang on accurate to the last .0 of a lb, but as an average guide they are fine. Using her as an example I put in her height and weight. 5'9 and 12 stone ( 150lbs approx) .

Her BMI has come out at 22.1 WELL within the healthy normal range ( 18.5-24.9 ) for her height. 22.19 on another site. Still well within normal range for a healthy person.

I'll try another..

22. Normal weight.

You guys aren't doing very well at this . Even at my weight of 14 and a half stone my thighs barely chafe. So I'd hazard a guess she has no trouble with it.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #143
JCC

Where the fuck are you getting 150lbs? There's 14 pounds in a stone, she's 168lbs, BMI of 24.9 I believe.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 AM   #144
honeythorn

Online calculator for weight and mass. And 24.9 still puts her in the healthy weight range so you're still wrong. Even if she's a couple of lbs over it's hardly going to mean she's categorically unhealthy and about to drop dead of obesity, she also isn't anything close to fat. So yet again you are wrong.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #145
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
...who are you talking about?
People that are talking bollocks about other people. I.e. Solumina + fake tits comments. Thus proving that they possess relatively unsatisfying lives.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #146
JCC

Quote:
Online calculator for weight and mass. And 24.9 still puts her in the healthy weight range so you're still wrong. Even if she's a couple of lbs over it's hardly going to mean she's categorically unhealthy and about to drop dead of obesity, she also isn't anything close to fat. So yet again you are wrong.
It puts her in the healthy weight range by a single point, hence she is on the border of being overweight, which is precisely what I said in the first place.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #147
honeythorn

Yes she's on the border, but not over. And yet again I say that she has no visible rolls or lumps and is toned. And yet again even if she lost 2 stone or so she would still be considered massive by the catwalk industry and most of the people in this thread it seems.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:49 AM   #148
JCC

Nah, 10 stone would be a good weight for her height. Perhaps even a couple of pounds over. Crying and saying that 5'9 and 12 stone being deemed on the pudgy side is disgraceful is just dumb though.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 AM   #149
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Yes she's on the border, but not over. And yet again I say that she has no visible rolls or lumps and is toned. And yet again even if she lost 2 stone or so she would still be considered massive by the catwalk industry and most of the people in this thread it seems.
Honeythorn, there's no need to get so defensive.
We didn't ever say it was gross or terrible. Just not ideal, which it's not.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #150
honeythorn

I'm not being defensive I'm being factual. She isn't fat in any sense of the word. It's not my problem none of you can see what's in front of your face.

And a size 12 still isn't anything close to being a plus size outside of the catwalk. It simply isn't.