Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
Pyre

Question Henna Hair Dye

I want to dye my hair a bright red colour, and Henna has me very interested. However, I want others' opinions on it and I would also like to know of recommended websites for purchase. I realize the fading effects of it already, but that is the least of my worries.

Also, if anyone has photos of their Henna dyed hair, please post them, especially if you chose the Bright Red dye in particular. (I have seen someone with Henna dyed hair already which is why I am so interested in it, but hers was darkened with time.)

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Cicero

I dyed my hair black with henna and indigo for years and thought it was fucking awesome at the time. My warning is that you will NEVER bleach that shit out, so don't even try. It can also leave a lot of residue on your scalp after dying, which gets a bit irritating.

Just make sure you're certain you'll like the colour before dying it (a strand test might be the go), because you'll pretty much be stuck with it until it grows out.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
Opteron_Man

Henna? Hmm. I thought it was REALLY messy to do?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
Vivi

You have to be careful with that stuff. Ive heard that all colors other than the natural reddish colored one can contain pretty nasty chemicals that your hair certainly wont appreciate. There's a lot of cases of people dying their hair black with what they think is natural henna, but is actually a harmful cocktail that can cause your hair to fall out.
Vivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
isobel black

Although I have no experience with it myself, I used to have this hippie friend who used it all the time.

Like Cicero already mentioned, you'll have to grow it out to get rid of the colour.
My friend always went with red, and she used to warn me against using black. Although you can't wash it out it does fade somewhat, and according to her the black will develop a not so attractive greenish undertone.

I'm pretty sure she was talking about all natural henna, I don't know if there are any products containing henna that are better at preserving a deep black colour over time.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Pyre

I was going to go with the red or bright red anyway, and I am looking at brands that really enforce the "we do NOT use chemicals" motto. I don't plan on bleaching anyway, but I know that if I ever got sick of it I could just wait for it to fade and grow out (since the red only fades darker). But, I did plan on doing the strand test to make sure it's safe anyway, and there are chemical checks that can be done on the hair once dyed. I am looking particularly at the Light Mountain brand which hasn't turned up any negative results so far, and they stress not using peroxide, PPD or ammonia.

As for the black, I don't plan on using it anyway, so its consequences don't worry me. The idea of a fading black dye isn't appealing, but red I can deal with. The only way to preserve the color is to redye, as additives to henna can be very dangerous. I care about the health of my hair too much to want to add chemicals to it which is why I never got my hair dyed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man View Post
Henna? Hmm. I thought it was REALLY messy to do?
It does seem pretty messy since it's basically a mud you're applying to your hair. I don't know if I trust any of my friends to help me with it as even the most artistic of them seem incompetent when it comes to taking great care about something. My only fear is that it'll get on my face and stain me red. How unpleasant.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 03-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Pyre

Hrm. A color chart has changed my mind in that I will instead go with simple Red as opposed to Bright Red. Apparently bright red is really only worth getting if you have blonde hair, and since mine is light brown I suppose I'll have to go darker to achieve the effect I want. That being said, red is the safest color to use since it's henna's natural dying color, so I am not worried about getting any of that chemical cocktail.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
isobel black

Right, I stupidly just assumed you wanted to go black and didn't even notice you even mention wanting to go with red in your initial post

The friend I mentioned never experienced any negative effects on her hair, and she used it for years, so I guess you're safe if you wanted to go for red anyway.

Good luck with the apllication though!
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Solumina

Put petroleum jelly along your hairline, it will block the dye from touching your skin so you wont get stained.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
Noirette

I have dyed my hair with the natural red one and liked the final result vary much. It does fade a little, but at least you can be sure that it won't demage your hair(actually, it made mine more healthy) and you can always re-dye it. As far as I remember, it's even cheaper.

The effectivness of the Henna colour depends much on your current hair colour, and on the amount of time that you will sit and wait with this thing on your head.

Not less important-don't try to diy your hair using a regular chemical colour after this. I'm not sure about it, but I heard that the result may turn out green.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Devil's Darling

Yes about henna...A friend of mine tried it and the color just didn't stick.After 2 days she was back at her natural color.And yes I'm sure she used it right becouse her mother used henna all the time when she was young.Maby the quality of it changed in time...

Last edited by Devil's Darling; 03-16-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: missed a letter
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Minyaliel

Iīve tried it once. My hair turned a sickly shade of green instead of dark red. I used natural henna of a very high quality. It tok ages to get back to a somewhat decent colour. Youīre warned - if it goes well, itīs amazing stuff. If it doesnīt... Itīs going to stay there. For a long time. Because you donīt want to dye it with a chemical dye after hennaing hair. Believe me, you donīt want to do that.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
Becca_Lugosi

[Most] henna has a metallic base, be gentle with your tresses.

It is very pretty though.
Good luck.

~B.L.
Becca_Lugosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minyaliel View Post
Iīve tried it once. My hair turned a sickly shade of green instead of dark red. I used natural henna of a very high quality. It tok ages to get back to a somewhat decent colour. Youīre warned - if it goes well, itīs amazing stuff. If it doesnīt... Itīs going to stay there. For a long time. Because you donīt want to dye it with a chemical dye after hennaing hair. Believe me, you donīt want to do that.
Did you do a strand test beforehand?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #15
Serren

The problem I've always scene with henna is usually you have to put it on virgin hair, and its not advisable to dye your hair with anything else until its cut out, apparently.

It also depends on what colour your hair is to start with... Check the back of the pack for instructions on that. I don't think it will change your hair colour that much if you want to lighten your hair and from what I remember you have to be careful about putting it on blonde hair as well if you want to dye it a darker colour.

I have dark brown hair, many years ago when I had no dye at all in my hair I used a dark vibrant red henna dye from the body shop. I left it in for about four hours and it left my hair with a lovely sheen, as well as a really nice colour.

Some health food shops have dyes that are meant to be more natural, my friend whose a hair dresses swears by then and her hair is really long and in very good condition from them.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Put petroleum jelly along your hairline, it will block the dye from touching your skin so you wont get stained.
That is some good advice! It will save you alot of trouble later if you are even a little bit sloppy.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #17
Pyre

My hair is "virgin" hair, I guess one could call it, so dying it won't be a problem. I am going to try getting in touch with the girl who introduced it to me so I can get some advice from a current user.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Minyaliel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
Did you do a strand test beforehand?
Nope, I didnīt. I was young and foolish, and waaay too enthusiastic about this whole red hair business. I also did not have virgin hair, so that might be the cause of the misere.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:43 AM   #19
blareblare2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serren View Post
The problem I've always scene with henna is usually you have to put it on virgin hair, and its not advisable to dye your hair with anything else until its cut out, apparently.
join us
It also depends on what colour your hair is to start with... Check the back of the pack for instructions on that. I don't think it will change your hair colour that much if you want to lighten your hair and from what I remember you have to be careful about putting it on blonde hair as well if you want to dye it a darker colour.

I have dark brown hair, many years ago when I had no dye at all in my hair I used a dark vibrant red henna dye from the body shop. I left it in for about four hours and it left my hair with a lovely sheen, as well as a really nice colour.

Some health food shops have dyes that are meant to be more natural, my friend whose a hair dresses swears by then and her hair is really long and in very good condition from them.
I can see that you are an expert on this.
blareblare2000 is offline   Reply With Quote