Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kij. View Post
Well, I'm black/native american, and I like it too, but I don't think I'd look too good, being much darker than white. Plus, I've got that copper tint to my skin tone, and brown/copper and white face paint...? But maybe, if you're more of a lighter brown, say, like my mom, then sure. Or, you could do just a little so it's not like, caked on. Barely any kind of. I did once a while ago and it looked pretty good. Just, don't go overboard with it.
Even if you're light brown, it still looks bad considering the possibility of farmer's tan. Seriously, this topic is almost as bad as the skin bleaches we black folk still use for this purpose.

And while you're about, stop resurrecting old threads. It makes you look like a nuisance especially when it's obvious that the original poster has already split.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #27
nnnn_759

I agree with Lolly PopMuzik, you shouldn't go for the white "I threw flour to my face" look. It just looks.....ridiculous. I'm sorry. I have medium-olive skin myself and I have learnt that you can still look dark without having a pale complexion and stunning fair eyes. The trick is in the make-up. You can still play with your skin tone, though. get one or two tones paler and avoiding blush.
nnnn_759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #28
Catch

Just apply foudation and powder or powder that is a shade or two lighter than your natural skin tone as mentioned on http://catchgothstyle.blogspot.com/2...oth-looks.html

That's it and the difference doesn't make your ears look darker. However, it is good to go a bit below the chin and across the ears.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #29
epitomeofsleep

Stay out of the sun for awhile. Happened to me, I looked a pale tan without all that sunglow nonsense.

Or like someone else suggested, go to MAC and tell them you want a foundation powder just a teeny bit lighter.
epitomeofsleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #30
Solumina

If you are going to change your skin tone at all then be sure to do your ears as well and to blend really well along your jawline.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #31
DemiGoth

Have you considered possibly getting your skin actually pale rather than wear makeup? All you do is limit sun exposure and you're skin will eventually get paler. My skin is pale as hell, and I don't use any makeup or whatever it is. Nor do I have the desire to... Plus it saves you some money not having to buy the cream or powder or whatever it is. And if you keep all the lights in the house off to speed up the process you can save more money on the electric bill and save the ecosystem! Look at that, you saved the planet and solved your problem! Or you can do the makeup thing if you want, I don't see why you can't. But like the others said, you'd need to cover a lot of yourself, like arms/ears/hands/etc.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #32
Faeir

Quote:
And if you keep all the lights in the house off to speed up the process you can save more money on the electric bill and save the ecosystem!
I don't see how that will speed anything up.
Faeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #33
DemiGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeir View Post
I don't see how that will speed anything up.
Because limiting sun exposure will make you pale. Limiting yourself to no light at all would probably make it faster. Of course I could be wrong due to teh fact I don't know much about lightbulbs and the type of light it gives off, leaving them on could perhaps not affect becoming pale at all. But I fugured all light has to have some sort of contribute to keeping skin from being pale. Hopefully that makes my thoughts clearer for you.
DemiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #34
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Actually I seem to remember awhile back somone by the name of black butterfly or somthing like that did such a good job that I actualy thought she was white for awhile untill I saw a picture of her without makeup on in the picture post.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #35
Faeir

Quote:
Because limiting sun exposure will make you pale. Limiting yourself to no light at all would probably make it faster. Of course I could be wrong due to teh fact I don't know much about lightbulbs and the type of light it gives off, leaving them on could perhaps not affect becoming pale at all. But I fugured all light has to have some sort of contribute to keeping skin from being pale. Hopefully that makes my thoughts clearer for you.
Alright, I do see where you're coming from, but for the record, you can only tan from the radiation in sunlight (ultra violet rays, the same rays they use in tanning booths) and quite frankly there's no radiation in light from lightbulbs.

On the other hand, I don't mind being a bit eco-friendly and just sitting around in the dark for the fun of it, although it won't make you any paler.
Faeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 AM   #36
SiouxsiePernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiGoth View Post
Have you considered possibly getting your skin actually pale rather than wear makeup? All you do is limit sun exposure and you're skin will eventually get paler.
That's probably because your skin tone was fairly light to begin with. If someone has a naturally dark skin tone, they will never be able to change that genetic predisposition and become a whiter shade of pale, regardless of how little time they spend in the sun.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #37
VulpineNinja

now i wonder how black goths should/would look like =/

I used to have whiter skin. But I grew up not caring about being exposed to the sun (until now) my skin turned into a dull shade of beige. After using concealer and 'natural' compact powder, I do look paler (so says my sister). Almost corpe-like, so i apply some blusher if i didn't wanna look to scary. But after some time... or when I took a pic (close-up or not) I can still see my pimple scars and my brownish hue. >_>

It makes me wonder if the pale look wear off easily or was it just my imagination?
VulpineNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #38
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulpineNinja View Post
now i wonder how black goths should/would look like =/
...You do realize how clueless and nearly patronizing you sound, right?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
VulpineNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
i'm sorry. I didn't mean to... if any of you seem to have interpreted it that way. I'd edit it if it's possible >.<

but i'm honestly wondering that. Because I've never really seen that much examples (I've only seen a few pics when I googled but it wasn't enough to satisfy my curiousity).

Last edited by VulpineNinja; 08-29-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: unable to edit previous post
Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #40
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik View Post
Oh, do give the poor child a break. She is simply stating honestly that she has never had the experience of meeting or otherwise seeing a goth of African-hued complexion. Her wording might have been awkward, but it is clear that the girl meant no harm.

By the way, welcome to the boards, Miss Ninja. *hat tips*
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #41
VulpineNinja

Thank you. You may call me VN, for short.

I've seen locals (of polynesean descent) with brownish skin in goth fashion. IMO, they'd look better if they have fairer skin. Though I want to believe there is a better way for them to maintain their tanned looks while dressing as goths... (is there?) Looking at ganguro girls in japan makes me think that there's a possibility.

So anyways... the point is... although i've seen brownish skinned people in goth fashion, that does not mean I can picture how exactly blacks look like in such attire... (again, I apologize if my words offended anyone in any way).
Old 08-29-2009, 01:42 PM   #42
Ophelia's Snorkel

Since it's an overwhelmingly pale group, you may have to get out to more urban areas to find the diversity you're curious about. There are a handful of black goths at the club I like in Jax. None of them find it necessary to whiteface themselves, fortunately. Just eyeliner and a bit of lipstick. They look no less goth than anyone else there. When you have opportunities, try to get out to clubs in cities with high racial minority concentrations; you'll find goths there. They're eeeeverywhere o.O
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #43
VulpineNinja

Unfortunately, I'm not in the US...

that's why I asked.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #44
The Divine Ms. M

Don't do it!

I'm mexican, black spanish & philapino so I too am a lighter shade of dark. In the past, I've made the mistake of buying a powder or foundation too light for me & it looked ridiculous! I'm a lazy cow so I don't really tend to wear makeup unless the mood strikes, or I'm going out in which case I'll wear foundation & powder that matches my skin tone, smokey eyes & red lips. I'm sure you look good as you are! As was said before, use an umbrella. I do especially as now it's in the 90's in SoCal. Not only does it help keep me from tanning, it's like 5 degrees cooler under there!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #45
Ophelia's Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Divine Ms. M View Post
Not only does it help keep me from tanning, it's like 5 degrees cooler under there!
Yeah, it's nice to have your own shade everywhere you go. People always start by looking at you funny, but by the end of the hot day/party/theme park jaunt, they wish they'd thought of it; and sometimes they even try to crowd under there with you ! I definitely draw the line there.
Ophelia's Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #46
Mandarinz

I'm vey, very tanned, and I always wanted to be paler. But then I decided it didn't really matter, and there is no point in trying to change the colour you are.
I find regardless of your skin colour, people know whether or not you're goth, by how you dress and act. I also happen to think that black goths look really hot

And i is it really worth staying out of the sun in order to go a few shades paler?
Mandarinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:10 AM   #47
Red Menace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandarinz View Post
And i is it really worth staying out of the sun in order to go a few shades paler?
It's definitely worth staying out of the sun or at least wearing a moisturiser with sunscreen to minimise skin aging. I just wear a day cream with SPF15 every day plus lotion if it's warm enough to go out without a jacket - it's no big deal. Even the darkest skin tone will show the signs of sun damage eventually.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #48
creature6

cosmetic surgery.
creature6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #49
Ko Pilot

I don't bother looking paler at all. I live a pretty active lifestyle and am therefore a warmer tone, and I take pride in it. Though not to mention I have freckles, so if I went and covered them all up on my face, it would be strange to see them on my arms and shoulders.
Ko Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #50
Starke von Oben

What an utterly retarded thread.

If you're dark skinned, why would you bother trying to make yourself look white?

Would you concede me the right to cover my face in boot polish and paint my lips red?

I highly doubt it.
Starke von Oben is offline   Reply With Quote