Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #26
CptSternn

I prefer to fix my own backyard before going to solve other nations issues.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #27
Binkie

Well then maybe you should pay taxes that go to state welfare programs that help the needy. Or maybe you should actaully be in the States helping to fix Virginia's problems. Or actually, you should be doing something, period, instead of armchair quarterbacking on this site.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #28
CptSternn

I do more in a week than you have ever done in your life time. I work with refugees in my free time. I am currently working with http://struggle.ws/rsc/ to keep big oil from taking over our country (big oil based in america).

We fought them off monday, AND WON.

http://indymedia.ie/mayo%20

I could list the number of marches protests I attend globally each year, but the question really is - how much do you do?

I have pictures on my site of me at various marches and protests. I even have video clips.

I think your 'projecting' your amrchair quarterback status on me to alleviate your own short comings. If I'm wrong, then prove it.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #29
CptSternn

I guess we have now seen the end of the 'terror alerts' with rumsfeld out, and bush now on the defensive, what are the chances of the 'terror alert' level rising due to 'some event'?

I'm willing to bet that the 'terror level' and 'terror threat' are a thing of the past, and won't be invoked anymore while bush is in office.

If I am right, and we will see, then it proves that bush abused his power along with his total control of the government to manipulate the people.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
CptSternn

Just when you thought the terror alerts had gone away, looks like DHS wants to start the trend again. You know with summer in full swing, and people taking vacations and forgetting about bush and his war, they want to make sure no one forgets why they should be afraid.

Homeland Security chief warns of 'increased risk’

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...,1019009.story

Hearing complacency among the American people over possible terror threats, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said in Chicago Tuesday that the nation faces a heightened chance of an attack this summer.

"I believe we are entering a period this summer of increased risk," Chertoff told the Chicago Tribune's editorial board in an unusually blunt and frank assessment of America's terror threat level.

"Summertime seems to be appealing to them," he said of al-Qaeda.

Still, Chertoff said there are not enough indications of an imminent plot to raise the current threat levels nationwide. And he indicated that his remarks were based on "a gut feeling" formed by past seasonal patterns of terrorist attacks, recent al-Qaeda statements, and intelligence he did not disclose.

There is an assessment "not of a specific threat, but of increased vulnerability," he added.

...The dire warnings and Chertoff's comments come as the Bush administration faces political and business opposition over its immigration and border policies that have security implications.

Like I said in this thread before - whenever the polls show bush at his lowest, and right now he is at 29% - the lowest to date, someone from his administration comes out and tells us they have a 'gut feeling' that there will be an attack, even though to date no 'gut feelings' have ever led to anything more than mass media blurbs. Also the inane factoids he throw in there to make it sound official 'summertime is appealing to them' - what the hell does that mean? Terrorists prefer to attack during the summer months as its easier to get away on hols after the deed is done? Wasn't 9/11, the previous attack on the towers, and most of the other arrests done around September, meaning most of the history to date shows the direct opposite of this statement to be true?

In fact, you have to almost laugh at the fact they say 'gut feelings' in their 'warning'. I mean, this man, who is in charge of DHS, has direct access to the CIA, FBI, and the Pentagon, has the NSA - all of their satellites, access to things we can't even fathom - and the best assessment they can come up with is...a gut feeling that something, somewhere, sometime, might happen in the next 4-6 months, maybe.

Makes you feel like the are spending those trillions on security wisely, eh?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #31
Linen

It's all a load of B.S. scare tactics, and I refuse to be sucked into it.
Linen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #32
Rae Ven Rae

I stumbled upon a site -- a grotesque one --where they showed alot of the carnage the war on Terror was dealing to everyone involved over there, Israeli and Palestenian alike. There were pictures of people being run over by tanks -- a father and son being shot to death -- a baby being torn apart by bullets --I started crying.

The worst was when they showed two innocent PALESTANIAN men (there are two victims in this war), being harassed by police. The men were peacefully complaint to cops but one was shot in the head and then on the video and photo evidence, they planted stuff around the corpse to make the man look like a suicide bomber. Why? Money.

Lies are being told and I don't know what to believe, but from what I saw in those photo's, I think we need to find out what the hell is up...

Here's the link -- it is NOT for the faint of heart, so I WARN YOU do not look if you are squeamish or tender hearted -- I was disturbed for a long time after -- still am...

Please -- you were forewarned...

http://www.thewe.cc/contents/more/ar...atrocities.htm
Rae Ven Rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:02 AM   #33
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae Ven Rae
I stumbled upon a site -- a grotesque one --where they showed alot of the carnage the war on Terror was dealing to everyone involved over there, Israeli and Palestenian alike. There were pictures of people being run over by tanks -- a father and son being shot to death -- a baby being torn apart by bullets --I started crying.

I mentioned this in another thread but two must see films - The Iron Wall and The Killing Zone, both on the conflict and chock full of the same sort of stuff. The Killing Zone goes into how israeli forces killed protesters, one of which was killed on camera and is shown. He is wearing a white shirt carrying a white flag and is shot, the camera crew run when the guns start firing. When they get back he is dead, the flag is gone, and the troops around him tell the camera crew the man had a gun, and tried to shoot them, not knowing the camera crew was with the man around the corner and caught it all on tape.

When they play the tape for the israeli government and ask about it, they deny that it happened, and end the interview.

Also, the man killed, and a few others they go into detail about, are all American civil rights activists.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #34
ArtificialOne

First off, Isreal isn't in a War on terror. They are in a war of survival. Enemies on all sides and within. They give and give concessions to these people (palestine and Hezbollah) and still get bombed. The Palestinians and hezbollah always argue that Isreal does this or doesn't do that. While Palestine can't get a working govt or take care of it's people. Isreal is blamed for everything under the sun. But does any of these groups ever blame Hezbollah for not fighting and taking up pens and shovels to help build their country? Nope. Nevermind that isreal never gets credit for bending over backwards to accomadate outrageous demands and whatnot... Nope the radical left and the Islamic world just uses Isreal as a scapegoat from everything to cows dieing in india to a solar eclipse in a far away galaxy.

Now, back to topic.
Terror alerts are stupid. Homeland security is stupid. If the right agencies were operating correctly, we wouldn't need to have alerts or another enormous bureacracy to fund. What they should have done was set up info sharing protocals and set up a system that would run similar to the amber alert system incase there was an attack or someone was running from an arrest (a terrorist, or someone proposing another Micheal Moore film). Also they should strike the term Czar from anything in the American political spectrum. It's not only dorky, but we aren't in russia.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #35
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
First off, Isreal isn't in a War on terror. They are in a war of survival. Enemies on all sides and within. They give and give concessions to these people (palestine and Hezbollah) and still get bombed.
For all the accusations you post, you never back up your arguments with any articles or hard data. You claim israel bends over backwards and is attacked first, but yet are unable to cite any data that shows this. In fact, during the Leboneese conflict last year is you remember, or maybe you have selective memory, isreal invaded Lebanon first. Also remember israel inaved back in the 1960's first as well. 'Pre-emtive strike' just like bush. I find it hard to believe you don't know this and argue they were attacked.

Quote:
Now, back to topic.
Terror alerts are stupid. Homeland security is stupid. If the right agencies were operating correctly, we wouldn't need to have alerts or another enormous bureacracy to fund. What they should have done was set up info sharing protocals and set up a system that would run similar to the amber alert system incase there was an attack or someone was running from an arrest (a terrorist, or someone proposing another Micheal Moore film). Also they should strike the term Czar from anything in the American political spectrum. It's not only dorky, but we aren't in russia.
Hey, something we both agree on. The terror alerts are just a system to keep people scared. When I was a younger lad in America, we had fire drills in school every other week. Once a month we had 'tornado drills'. On top of this once a month 'nuclear air raid drills'. Basically once a week we had some type of emrgency drill. On top of this, you have the 'emergency broadcast system' which kicks off on every tv channel once a week to keep people on their toes. All this, combined with the new terror alerts and the TSA warnings (current stats put the number this year to 91 - meaning every other day this year the TSA has issued a worldwide terrorist alert).

This is to keep Americans in fear. To make them think they need the government for protection. Like old rumsfeld on the news, claiming the same thing chertoff said two weeks ago 'we have no real information, but we think, somewhere, possibly soon, something might happen!'.

You are correct about the Russia comparison. I've been saying that for some time now. Funny thing is, it doesn't stop there. With the restrictions of civil rights and personal liberties in the name of 'protection', people in America today are living in a society thats more like the USSR of 1980.

- CCTV, databases tracking what people say/watch/eat/buy/visit

- Warrantless spying on its own citizens

- Constitutional protections being ignored

- People imprisoned indefinately without trial

- Secret prisons

- Torture

- Stacking the Supreme Court to favor cronies

I mean, this is the stuff which used to be attributed to Russia, in media, films, books, and more. Today, it's what bush and the right-wing has turned America into. Orwell was just 10 years off.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:48 AM   #36
ArtificialOne

First, Hezbollah attacked Isreal by not only firing rockets, but they also did an incursion into a border post. Nevermind that little fact that gets in your way of Isreal is the great evil. Also Nevermind thet fact that southern Lebanon is controlled by Hezbollah. Facts? Look them up. I didn't see any of them in your post.

Apparently people like you stern think we can talk to these people and make them be nice. Annihilation is the only way to go. Brutall no holds bar aggression. No trying to give them govts or anything. If they strike, we take out a town, if they strike again we level a city. We have to make the stakes so high and terrible they won't think of doing it again and stay in their own back yard. Then we need to expell any muslim or middle eastern person who does not yet have permanent residnency. And maybe internment camps? They worked in ww2 with the japanese? And unlike ww1 and ww2 where germany did do a little sabotage. The pc world is what's killing us. HA! Can't wait till I here about this post!

What was this thread about anyways?

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:46 AM   #37
CptSternn

I thought this article was appropriate since we had this thread. Tom Ridge has now confirmed what we all knew.

Well, most of us knew. If you look at the above posts you will see some people said this wasn't true, but now we know who was correct.

Ridge: Fellow Cabinet members pushed terror alerts

http://tinyurl.com/kwnbsy

Quote:
WASHINGTON – Former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge says pressure from fellow Cabinet members to raise the nation's terror alert level just before the 2004 presidential election helped convince him it was time to quit working for President George W. Bush.

In a new book, Ridge says that despite the urgings of former Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and then-Attorney General John Ashcroft he objected to raising the security level, according to a publicity release from the book's publisher.

In the end the alert level was not changed.

Bush's former homeland security adviser, Frances Townsend, said Thursday that politics never played a role in determining alert levels.

Two tapes were released by al-Qaida in the weeks leading up to the election — one by terrorist leader Osama bin Laden and the other by a man calling himself "Azzam the American." Terrorism experts suspected that "Azzam the American" was Adam Gadahn, a 26-year-old Californian whom the FBI had been urgently seeking.

Townsend said the videotapes contained "very graphic" and "threatening" messages.

Ridge's publicist, Joe Rinaldi, said Ridge was out of town and was not doing interviews until his book, "The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege ... and How We Can Be Safe Again," is released on Sept. 1.

In 2004, Ridge explained why he didn't feel the alert should be raised. "We don't have to go to (code level) orange to take action in response either to these tapes or just general action to improve security around the country," he said then.

In 2005, months after he resigned, Ridge said his agency has been the most reluctant to raise the alert level. "There were times when some people were really aggressive about raising it, and we said, 'For that?'" he said during a panel discussion in May 2005. But his book appears to be the first time he publicly attributes some of the pressure to politics.

The Homeland Security Department, which Ridge was the first person to lead, faced criticism in 2004 from Democrats who alleged that raising the alert level was designed to boost support for the Bush administration during an election year.

Ridge, who resigned on Nov. 30, 2004, said the episode convinced him to follow through with his plans to leave the Bush administration.

Townsend said that anytime there was a discussion of changing the alert level, she first spoke with Ridge and then, if necessary, called a meeting of the homeland security council comprising the secretaries of defense and homeland security, the attorney general and CIA and FBI directors. The group then made a recommendation to the president about whether the color-coded threat level should be raised.

"Never were politics ever discussed in this context in my presence," she said.

Asked if there was any reason for Ridge to have felt pressured, Townsend said: "He was certainly not pressured. And, by the way, he didn't object when it was raised and he certainly didn't object when it wasn't raised."

A former Republican congressman and governor of Pennsylvania, Ridge was widely named as a potential running mate to John McCain in 2008 before the GOP candidate chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.