Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
Solumina

The issue with dogs such as pit bulls and mastiffs isn't that they are aggressive but that dogs reprimand each other with nips and those kind of dogs have such large, powerful jaws that a nip from one is enough to really hurt a person.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #27
menus era sota

Quote:
Originally Posted by badteccy
Why would this even be news....oh, Australia.
because not much happens there except for immigration camps or whatever. it's really a fucking boring place.

pit bulls - aren't they always killing someone though?
i just stick with cats - only get scars on my feet from those.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #28
LaBelleDameSansMerci

No, the media focuses on them, just like they focus on goths who go homicidal.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by menus era sota
pit bulls - aren't they always killing someone though?
i just stick with cats - only get scars on my feet from those.
This wasn't a pure bred, and like LaBelle said, pit bulls get bad media coverage from some reason, I read somewhere that usually when there is a pit bull mauling, and I'm not talking about nips like this, but when the dog is trying to kill the person, its usually a dog that was neglected (left on a chain outside all day), they become antisocial and aggressive, and unfortunately this is done a lot to pit bulls. I do believe that the most common dog breed found in rescue shelters in America is the pit bull. The SPCA here is trying to get signatures for a petition to regulate how long a dog should be left outside on a chain to reduce the rate of dog bites and attacks.

All animals nip when they are getting annoyed, this wasn't an attack, it was a "back off!" Cats do it and dogs do it, its just when a chihuahua does it it doesn't do any damage and it doesn't get media coverage.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #30
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Dogs have killed children before. The parent had better take this as a warning to take preventative measures. Keep the dog outside, and when the child is outside, watch closely. If it were me, I would have gotten rid of the dog, but then I have seen dogs kill cats before and am a bit paranoid from the experience.

I keep my grandson well away from any large dogs.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #31
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Dogs have killed children before. The parent had better take this as a warning to take preventative measures. Keep the dog outside, and when the child is outside, watch closely. If it were me, I would have gotten rid of the dog, but then I have seen dogs kill cats before and am a bit paranoid from the experience.

I keep my grandson well away from any large dogs.
Keeping the dog outside would make it worse, depending on the county laws she will probably have to keep it chained up and chained dogs are almost three times more likely to bite. Yes the dog can do damage and she definately shouldn't let the kid pick at the dog anymore, just like you shouldn't let kids pick at any animal because any animal can lose its patience and bite.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #32
Mealla

Something extremely similar happened elsewhere recently.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/National...5/Default.aspx

Only in that case the dog snapped at the boy after the boy yanked on its testicles. In both the original article and the one above, it's just a case of bad parental supervision. You don't let a young child play with an animal unsupervised. In the case of a big dog or a cat, I wouldn't even let the child near the pet at all. It's common sense.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #33
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mealla
Something extremely similar happened elsewhere recently.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/National...5/Default.aspx

Only in that case the dog snapped at the boy after the boy yanked on its testicles. In both the original article and the one above, it's just a case of bad parental supervision. You don't let a young child play with an animal unsupervised. In the case of a big dog or a cat, I wouldn't even let the child near the pet at all. It's common sense.
From the article:
Quote:
“Caine is a little boy and he is curious and that is what they do. A good dog will not attack,” she says.
Yes, curious children can't help themselves, they just have to know what happens when they pull on a dog's testicles. A dog who has his testicles pulled on in a painful manner won't do anything about it unless they are vicious. Really, how many times has she touched a dog inappropriately for her to make a comment like that?

EDIT: I loved one of the comments below the article, "I hope the dog recovered from this terrible ordeal"
Old 01-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #34
menus era sota

well you know, at least it stops the kid from getting a thing for yanking on dog's balls - and that was the second time. funny, it's always toddlers that seem to get in a mess on these threads - dog nips, getting dropped and killed, having a nazi name...etc.
it's not odd but *insert needed word* that it's always them.
menus era sota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 AM   #35
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyesOni
Have you ever spent much time around large dogs? Besides the obvious of walking by them or seeing them behind fences.

Pit bulls arn't nearly as bad as they are made out to be.
I have. Often. Me brother has two large pit bulls.

http://www.sternn.com/sternn/stuff/M...x/solomon1.jpg

I never said they were bad. Per the post above, large dogs don't mean to hurt, but they do. A nip from a small horse could really hurt a small child.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 AM   #36
Necrophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
It's definitely the kid's fault.
Um no, he is 2 years old. It's the mother's fault simply because she wasn't harsh enough with the child.

I am the Antiproduct!

There is, they say, no fool like an old fool - Golding.

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 AM   #37
Opteron_Man

When I saw the word "mauled" I thought he would have lost half his face and one or both eyeballs. I am glad the kid is alive. I feared the worst.
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #38
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice
Pineapple believes thus:

-it was the child's fault.
-it was not a "mauling"
-The woman is right for not putting the dog down. Why should the animal have to endure abuse just because the kid is a retard?
-the woman should have stopped the child
I agree with the Pineapple.

I think in cases like this, folks like to point out how "dangerous" of a breed it is. That irks me.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #39
nis~sijai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I agree with the Pineapple.
Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
I think in cases like this, folks like to point out how "dangerous" of a breed it is. That irks me.
Some dogs are bred specifically for hunting animals not much smaller than a human child.

But yeah, I think certain breeds strike out more, because people attempt to confine them to their homes, which doesn't give them nearly the amount of roaming room they need, causing stress on the dog.

Of course, I'm not a dog expert so that's all speculation.
nis~sijai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #40
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nis~sijai
Seconded.

Some dogs are bred specifically for hunting animals not much smaller than a human child.

But yeah, I think certain breeds strike out more, because people attempt to confine them to their homes, which doesn't give them nearly the amount of roaming room they need, causing stress on the dog.

Of course, I'm not a dog expert so that's all speculation.
In America at least pit bulls account for more reported bites than any other breed, but thats the thing, if your terrier or chihuahua bites you, are you going to report it? Probably not because it barely hurts when they do. My mom has a chihuahua, and she fucking HATES small kids because they pick at her and swing her around, when my cousin was small he would do this and she'd bite him every chance she'd get, once he was walking away from her, she ran right up to him and jumped up and bit him in the ass. But she was never able to actually hurt him, and we all laughed because he deserved it. She once bit a Reverend too for picking her up roughly, but he just laughed and thought it was cute. If she was capable of doing damage it would be reported, and she would have been put down. If a pit bull does the same, he's going to hurt you. We've bred them to be able to inflict lots of pain, and thats what they are going to do if you piss them off enough, if they see you as a threat or if they're neglected/abused enough they become antisocial and aggressive.

Maybe in the interest of accurate statistics we should all report chihuahua attacks, might help the pitbull's bad reputation.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Um no, he is 2 years old. It's the mother's fault simply because she wasn't harsh enough with the child.
It's your fault because you touch yourself at night.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #42
Necrophagist

Wow you're fucking stupid, AND friendless.

I am the Antiproduct!

" All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting." - Orwell.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #43
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
Maybe in the interest of accurate statistics we should all report chihuahua attacks, might help the pitbull's bad reputation.
That won't help the pitbull's reputation until Chihuahuas are bred with jaws like steel traps.

Obviously a lot of dogs will bite, it's part of their natural behaviour. I've been bitten more than once myself, usually due to nervousness or when I was keeping them from attacking each other. What matters in dog attack statistics isn't just the number of attacks alone, it's the number of injuries and fatalities caused by them. In those statistics pitbulls are in the lead. Yes, many of the offending dogs were neglected, but I've known plenty of neglected dogs that didn't end up killing anyone. The trouble with pitbulls (and similar breeds) is their good behaviour very much relies on being raised with proper discipline, and that's something a majority of pet owners just aren't capable of. Also, I've noticed that the sorts of people that often seem to seek dog breeds of that nature are ones after a 'vicious guard dog', and are thus even less likely to care for it properly.

Their reputation may be a little worse than they really deserve, but it's there for a reason. My family lost one of our most gentle dogs to a pitbull he met on a walk in the park, and that was not only one that had been raised by a caring owner, but that also had two grown men trying to restrain it. I know for sure that there aren't many other dog breeds capable of that kind of strength and aggression.

And in relation to the article, there's no situation in which infants should be allowed to play with animals without close supervision. This goes to protect both the animal and the child.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Necrophagist

Have to agree.

I am the Antiproduct!

Old 01-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #45
badteccy

Whoever said the mother should be reported for "child endangerment" is an idiot.

Sure, the mother should (could?) have been more aware...but shit happens. She did not expect the dog to "maul" the kid...and as it turns out the kid just got some minor scratches.

Seriously, it's people like you (whoever said it) that make kids these days soft, pussy, and moronic.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #46
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrophagist
Wow you're fucking stupid, AND friendless.
There is recorded evidence you can easily find on these interwebs that proves I have buddies.

So...you pretty much lose.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote