Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #26
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
I'm not really sure how this is related to my post.

I was just pointing out that she's getting pretty pissed about places not serving vegetarian food, but since she'll just eat whatever is there (which she said herself), including meat, she's not actually a vegetarian, so why get pissed?
Because she has already made it clear that she tries not to eat meat for health purposes.
Hmm, I wonder what part of the menu she would look for if she will prefer to avoid meat if possible...

Yet you take it as an ethical issue.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #27
vindicatedxjin

Why are you talking about this so early in the morning?
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #28
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
Of course Gnet makes an excellent case for surviving Neanderthals being among us. Zing!
She's posting above me...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Why are you talking about this so early in the morning?
.... why are you in here if it's so early, then?

Christ, how can you be so stupid?
real classy
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #30
vindicatedxjin

Cool

How can you be so stupid?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #31
Alan

Ohmygod! what an awesome comeback! That really puts me in my place
real classy
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #32
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
I'm not really sure how this is related to my post.

I was just pointing out that she's getting pretty pissed about places not serving vegetarian food, but since she'll just eat whatever is there (which she said herself), including meat, she's not actually a vegetarian, so why get pissed?
This. Exactly why I found her rant ridiculous and pointless.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
Alan

Wow, pineapple. Lydia even addressed you on how your prissiness is unwarranted and you still don't understand?
real classy
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #34
vindicatedxjin

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Ohmygod! what an awesome comeback! That really puts me in my place
Love you Alan!
Old 12-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #35
Solumina

What kind of vegetarian are you? People with a variety of diets consider themselves to be vegetarian so I'm just curious as to what you eat, especially since you selected the diet for health reasons.

Depending on exactly what you eat it may be easier than you think to have a vegetarian meal. As someone else pointed out certain ethnic foods can really be your friends as many cultures eat less meat, you can also try to keep in mind making special requests, most places are more than happy to substitute things to accommodate special diets.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #36
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Wow, pineapple. Lydia even addressed you on how your prissiness is unwarranted and you still don't understand?
Out of ALL the things I have ever posted on this site, you chose THIS conversation to call me prissy?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #37
Alan

You weren't?
real classy
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #38
ape descendant

Quote:
Granted, your amount of self-respect is questionable, but here you are, right?
If I were a Neanderthal, I'd be extinct... so I suoppose, following that, I would have no self-respect.. being dead.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #39
ape descendant

Quote:
Thats a serious oversimplification about the evolution of man, excludes several other theories and possibly factors (the introduction of starches for example is also theorized to be more important than the adaptation to eat meat, but its silly to attribute our big brains to one factor anyway) and 99% of species before us had diets of all sorts. If you're talking about hominids, all of them are dead too with mixed diets, including the carnivorous Neanderthal. I would say agriculture is probably the reason we're not dead yet.

Of course Gnet makes an excellent case for surviving Neanderthals being among us. Zing!
Yes, but the invention of agriculture happened after our species had already evolved. I must add here that Homo Erectus had the longest run of any of our genus up to now, from what I understand they were the first hominids to have systematic hunting and fire. That species was extant for roughly a million years and was able to spread to many parts of the world, as far as east Asia.

Our experiment is just beginning at roughly 200,00 years, and agriculture has only been a part of that experiment for about 10,000 years, 190,000 years after our species had already evolved and developed the kind of brain we have now.

I'm not saying that every one has to eat meat. However it seems to me that the eating of meat was a good way for our ancestors to go, as they didn't have a convenient "health-food" store around to get all the same proteins and fats that meats provide.

Be Kind
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #40
Saya

Homo erectus still ate mostly plants, the argument in my link was that there simply wasn't enough meat consumption to say it was the savior of our race, and our diet is still dramatically different from theirs as well. They got a lot of exercise hunting that the drive thru of McDonald's simply cannot provide, and perhaps they didn't eat a whole lot of grain or starchy vegetables like potatoes. A million years of success isn't really that impressive in the long run, and homo erectus is still a distinct species. The diet of one species doesn't have much implication on another even if they are closely related, look at Darwin's finches. Look at Neanderthals, who ate almost exclusively only meat, enjoyed our big brains, but its questionable, if they were to be cloned, if they would be treated as people. We were so closely related! But we were pretty different.

And, essentially what armchair anthropological arguments lead to is really odd conclusions, from so called evolutionary psychologists saying rrape is natural, polygamy is the way to go (not saying its wrong by any means, but I don't think most people would go for it), men are naturally sluts and women are naturally monogamous, etc. It goes off into the realm of the bizarre.

Such as, in a thread about vegetarian dishes in restaurants, homo erectus gets trotted out for some bizarre reason. No one was looking for a debate about meat eating!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #41
Cicero

Errggghh, I can't let my beloved palaeolithic remain so horribly misunderstood.

Neanderthals are not entirely extinct, if you're of European descent you could possess up to 4% of their DNA because we interbred. I think this is awesome.

Also they weren't totally carnivorous, just big game hunters who ate a lot more meat than we did. Unfortunately this meant they occupied an ecological niche that essentially died with the last Ice Age.

And lastly, don't fucking listen to Sam Neill when he tells you red meat led to our massive brains. It's just one antiquated possibility among many better ones. The one I most agree with is that it was in fact food processing that did it. Just think about it: there are plenty of carnivores out in the wild, not so many chefs.

On the actual topic of the thread, my meat-disliking self and a number of vegan friends managed to get by in the carnivorous land of Lithuania for a week with no problems whatsoever. In fact I've made it through many countries without having to touch anything of a meaty nature, and I'm talking places where regular restaurants will slaughter the animal out back right after you order it. "May I have *insert dish with large vegetable content here* without the meat, please?". Just remember that sentence and you'll be fine.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #42
Saya

Holy crap, Cicero resurrected!

Shoot her in the head!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #43
Cicero

I only resurrect when the "other N word" is used as an insult alongside really stupid assumptions about human evolution.

If we all agree that Neanderthals are the best I will quietly saunter back to my archaeological gravesite...

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #44
Lydia Deetz

It's the week before finals, I finally get a break, and I come back to this.

Like I've said in my other topic, it's the same shit where ever I go. It is so fucking pathetic how I can't make a simple rant without it being turned into something so unnecessary. If most people around here aren't being idiots then they're being condescending bullies who jump on the bandwagon. Well then, damn me for daring to have opinion you don't agree with and damn me even more for defending myself when you decide to attack me for it. I don't recall ever saying I was going to be an ass kisser when I joined.

P.S. You're all so insecure, it's both funny and sad.

Alan: When I'm forced to eat meat, I still try to be healthy. I eat food that is either grilled or baked.

Everyone else whose ego isn't shoved so far up their ass: Asking restaurants to make an execption for me around here results me being basically told to either try something on their menu or go somewhere else. Besides, it's an unnecessary hassle that I shouldn't have to do.

At home, I eat fake meat, vegetable stir fry, salad etc., and bascially anything that's usually considered a side dish to make a main meal. I balance it with fruit(I love fruit) and dessert. It's just that when I go out to eat on those special occasions, it throws me off my diet and my body suffers from it a bit.

I'm hyperglycemic so I can't go too long without a meal or else I get weak, dizzy, and on the verge of passing out. Also, since I've been so long without real meat and fried food(the really greasy kind), when I am forced to eat it, I start to feel sick as my body has to adapt to it again.

Looking back at my original post, I guess I should have mentioned my condition, but I since I was just venting(hyperglycemic or not. It's still something that annoys me) I hadn't felt the need to.
Lydia Deetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Deetz View Post

Everyone else whose ego isn't shoved so far up their ass: Asking restaurants to make an execption for me around here results me being basically told to either try something on their menu or go somewhere else. Besides, it's an unnecessary hassle that I shouldn't have to do.
Why shouldn't you?
A restaurant isn't obligated to provide food everyone likes, or food that everyone can eat.

If a restaurant doesn't feel the need to attract vegetarian/vegan customers, there is really no reason for them to provide special food for you. I feel like you see this as some kind of injustice.

Also, how is it a hassle to try something new or go to a restaurant where you CAN get what you want?
Even if it was a hassle, no one is obligated to make sure your day goes smoothly.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #46
ape descendant

Quote:
Homo erectus still ate mostly plants, the argument in my link was that there simply wasn't enough meat consumption to say it was the savior of our race, and our diet is still dramatically different from theirs as well. They got a lot of exercise hunting that the drive thru of McDonald's simply cannot provide, and perhaps they didn't eat a whole lot of grain or starchy vegetables like potatoes. A million years of success isn't really that impressive in the long run, and homo erectus is still a distinct species. The diet of one species doesn't have much implication on another even if they are closely related, look at Darwin's finches. Look at Neanderthals, who ate almost exclusively only meat, enjoyed our big brains, but its questionable, if they were to be cloned, if they would be treated as people. We were so closely related! But we were pretty different.

And, essentially what armchair anthropological arguments lead to is really odd conclusions, from so called evolutionary psychologists saying rrape is natural, polygamy is the way to go (not saying its wrong by any means, but I don't think most people would go for it), men are naturally sluts and women are naturally monogamous, etc. It goes off into the realm of the bizarre.

Such as, in a thread about vegetarian dishes in restaurants, homo erectus gets trotted out for some bizarre reason. No one was looking for a debate about meat eating!
The idea that meat played an important part in the evolution of our brains is a generally accepted idea. There is very little that is "armchair" about this discussion on my part. In some of my research I did come across some raw-foodist websites that claimed the contrary, but they seemed to have little in the way of scientific backing.

It doesn't mean that any one has to eat meat... that is the beauty of modern living in places where food is so widely available. We have the luxury being picky about what we eat, instead of having to fight wildly for every stinkin' calorie we put into our bodies.

Be Kind
Old 12-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #47
Lydia Deetz

Quote:
Why shouldn't you?
A restaurant isn't obligated to provide food everyone likes, or food that everyone can eat.

If a restaurant doesn't feel the need to attract vegetarian/vegan customers, there is really no reason for them to provide special food for you. I feel like you see this as some kind of injustice.

Also, how is it a hassle to try something new or go to a restaurant where you CAN get what you want?
Even if it was a hassle, no one is obligated to make sure your day goes smoothly.

*sigh* Just when I was about to log off.

For the last goddamn time, I'm don't want to be treated like I'm special by restaurants. I understand that vegetarian meals can be expensive for some restaurants which is why I said I would be satisfied with just one vegetarian/vegan option.

I don't see it as injustice or else I would have put this in the General section with a completely different tone(how many times do I have to keep saying this). I just found it a bit frustrating at times and felt it would help out their business by attracting some extra money.

It is a hassle for me because I find it demanding a special meal be made for me to be unnecessary as it would cause conflict and I don't want to ruin my family's/friends' time. Also, I'm all for trying something new and when I'm forced to eat meat, I do if I find it appealing enough; and if there was somewhere else I could go to I wouldn't have fucking posted this rant in the first place.

You and a few others are trying so hard to make me out to be the stereotypical vegetarian who is self centered, preachy, and whose only reason for being one is for the environment/for animal rights. I resent that stereotype so you all can fuck off and find some other excuse to be condescending know-it-alls.

P.S. to Alan: I forgot to thank you earlier to for defending me when I wasn't able log in for the past few days even when you didn't have to. You and a few others have kept me from wanting to say "Fuck this" and leave. For now at least. Also, my pride as I have a personal history/issue with bullies and hate seeing them think they have power. I'm trying; but damn it's hard.
Lydia Deetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #48
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
The idea that meat played an important part in the evolution of our brains is a generally accepted idea.
Didn't you read Cicero's post? The one member who is actually studying anthropology?
real classy
Old 12-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #49
ape descendant

Quote:
Didn't you read Cicero's post? The one member who is actually studying anthropology?
I did, and I wasn't listening to Sam Neil... I had read these articles.

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/relea...-14-1999a.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128849908

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Meat+i...e.-a0169311689

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10918988

Be Kind
Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Deetz View Post
*sigh* Just when I was about to log off.

For the last goddamn time, I'm don't want to be treated like I'm special by restaurants. I understand that vegetarian meals can be expensive for some restaurants which is why I said I would be satisfied with just one vegetarian/vegan option.

I don't see it as injustice or else I would have put this in the General section with a completely different tone(how many times do I have to keep saying this). I just found it a bit frustrating at times and felt it would help out their business by attracting some extra money.

It is a hassle for me because I find it demanding a special meal be made for me to be unnecessary as it would cause conflict and I don't want to ruin my family's/friends' time. Also, I'm all for trying something new and when I'm forced to eat meat, I do if I find it appealing enough; and if there was somewhere else I could go to I wouldn't have fucking posted this rant in the first place.

You and a few others are trying so hard to make me out to be the stereotypical vegetarian who is self centered, preachy, and whose only reason for being one is for the environment/for animal rights. I resent that stereotype so you all can fuck off and find some other excuse to be condescending know-it-alls.

P.S. to Alan: I forgot to thank you earlier to for defending me when I wasn't able log in for the past few days even when you didn't have to. You and a few others have kept me from wanting to say "Fuck this" and leave. For now at least. Also, my pride as I have a personal history/issue with bullies and hate seeing them think they have power. I'm trying; but damn it's hard.
I don't think you're a stereotypical vegetarian, I think you're a stereotypical person.

How the fuck is it a hassle to say, "Can I just have this dish made without chicken? Thanks." How is that ruining your friends' night?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote